Tellico may 13-15

got4-lo

friday day 1

after we got to crawfords and set up camp, we aired down and decided to hit the trail. after taking trail #1 we split off and took #4. there was not much on trail 4 but a rock ledge that was pretty easy. we both did most of #4 in 2wd. worse mistake of the day was trail #3 since it a dead end and it seemed like we had gone about 5 miles out of our way. we decided to park and check out the map. all of a sudden i hear zack say "SWEET" "i found a GPS". i walked over and checked it out and to me suprise it worked properly. after heading back we decided to hit #11. we did know what was up there but we just wanted to see it. call us posers but our jeeps are both untrailerd and open diff daily drivers :flipoff2:. after gettin turned around we headed back towards #4. but i first we had to pass quater panel tree again. i drove past the off camber section with out scraping the tree. after i cleared the rutts i was getting ready to park and i hear zack yell "OH SHIT" so i got on the cb and asked what happened. i figured that he got in to the tree, but that was not the case. i looked up the trail and his ZJ a few inches from floping over. it was rocking back and fourth. when i got back up to where he was i saw that his passenger rear tire was about 3-4 feet in the air. after i got on his rear bumper he eased it down enough where i could get a pic.
100_0422.sized.jpg

afer getting back on #4 we headed to #5 and fains ford. on the way there i got held up twice, once for a buggy with a blown motor and the other for a 4wheeler with a bent tie rod. these were the ONLY times that we ahd to wait. it was not nearly as crowed as a lot of us expected.

100_0426.sized.jpg

after crossing Fains ford and playin on the rock ledges on the left we continued on to trail #9. when we got to slick rock i was like WTF is pretty dry. so both decided to give it a shot.
100_0436.sized.jpg

Zack was up first and made it about 2/3 on the way up but he got hung up on his 8.8. so he took the cable the rest of the way. when he got to the top i noticed that his winch was a birds nest. we the time to get it straightend out. by that time it was about 9 PM. so it was my turn to come up, i drove nearly to the top but that last tree on the left grabed my driver rear fender. i could not go forward or back so i took the cable also. as i was winching up i started to slide to the left, i tried to steer out of it but it was too went. i slid into another tree and recive a nice dent in the windshelid frame. after the winch fest it was about 10:30 pm. getting past slick rock and the rock face after it was the easy part. now we came up to the BIG ASS wall at the top on trail 9. zack was leading and he came up to the wall. i saw tryin to climb it, i got on the radio and was like "where are u goin"? after that he got out and winched over. once he was clear i saw what the problem was. after deciding that i didnt want to endo and end up on my cage i just took a strap. with both of us clear we turned left on to trail 8. then we found some nasty mud holes. the first was very soupy but we crawled through it. the second proved to be a lot tougher. zack tired several times and never made it out. he ended up winching again. i was up and i figured that my TSL would grab the mud a little better than zacks MTR's. all i can say is that my tires grabbed but i still did make it either. all it did was dig holes in the ground. it was getting VERY late and we wanted to get the hell out of there. so i gave up and to a strap. once i was clear we were heading out and somehow we got turned around and ended up goin to wrong way. finially headed back to camp and the night ended a litter after 2am and our days stared at about 7am. so i slept like a log.

sat day 2

im not exactally sure what trails we ran but i know they were the less difficult trails. as always i took some poser pics.

100_0445.sized.jpg

100_0449.sized.jpg

dont ask me what i was doin but here is lower 2

100_0455.sized.jpg

here is a short vid of me exiting the creek crossing
http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/albums/May13,2005/100_0464.mov

after getting back to camp when we played in crawfords rock garden. there were a lot of older and stock CJ's giving it a shot which is always good to see

100_0465.sized.jpg

100_0471.sized.jpg

and guess who go high centered like hell the second time through

100_0472.sized.jpg

i thought the point of an RTI ramp is to keep all the tires on the ground :D

100_0469.sized.jpg

sunday day 3

we wanted to hit upper 2 but it rained all night so we decide to save it for next time. the rain made the water crossing a lot deeper

100_0482.sized.jpg

we were pretty lucky since we didnt break too bad. when went in to murphy to get some gas and food we notice that my tie rod was bent slightly. not worryin about it too much we headed out. about 100 yards down the road i had horrible death wobble goin about 10 mph. we pulled over and check it out. then we saw that the track bar drop bracket was cracked. we decided to go back to crawfords to weld the crack so i could get home safely.

my bogger welds

100_0484.sized.jpg

i didnt weld the cracks. they are kinda hard to see since the tie rod is in the way.

the carnage

100_0485.sized.jpg

overall it was a great trip. i thought i was going to be paked but i was not. i thought that i would see a lot more familar faces. i did meet a meet a lot of new people. i saw rigs from new mexico! for all that didnt make it, it was one hell of a trip

Nice write up. We ran slick rock friday afternoon. It was very dry, I didnt need a winch, just a few tugs on strap got me up. I think if it was wet, I would have had to use the winch

u didnt happen to see the brand new rubicon the rolled on the bypass of guardrail. that rubi had less than 1k on it :eek:

I heard all about it. That was the silver one right?
I think I saw the grand on the trails too.. A buddy of mine had a silver "baby grand" there Saturday. We wheeled it on trail 6 and 5. It was a great trip!

That was me towing the blue buggy out on Friday. Thanks for being cooperative with us on our way out.

He had crunched his oil pan and lost oil pressure.

Anyway, good to meet you and see on the trails soon!

Jody Treadway
WNC Custom Jeeps

I was wondering what happened with that blue buggy. I thought it was kinda random for the oil pump to just quit on him. I didn't know he crunched his oil pan. I hoped it didn't do any extra permantent damage to the motor. I assume all the piston rings were fried. That sucks, gonna be a major overhaul, if the motor is salvagable at all that is. I heard it was that buggy's first trip out too. Anyway, sorry to hear about ya'lls run in with bad luck.

Looks like you guys had some fun. Nice writeup Matt! So Zac, did you actually come away from this relatively unscathed?

actually i think that zack did some damage to his side view mirrors. also he said that his front driveshaft seized up on the way back home. and he had to stop and pull it out.

He changes out front drive shafts as often as I change my underwear (every couple of weeks). :D

we ran slick rock in the rain saturday night. its way killer. lower 2 was lower 2. the ledge being gone didnt make it any easier for me. i ended up going way right. like my right front tire was 6 feet in the air. school bus is nasty. i woudl say it has lines that make lower 2 look like total weak sauce.

zjcrazy said:
I was wondering what happened with that blue buggy. I thought it was kinda random for the oil pump to just quit on him. I didn't know he crunched his oil pan. I hoped it didn't do any extra permantent damage to the motor. I assume all the piston rings were fried. That sucks, gonna be a major overhaul, if the motor is salvagable at all that is. I heard it was that buggy's first trip out too. Anyway, sorry to hear about ya'lls run in with bad luck.

I will be tearing it down for him this week to make a determination of the damage to the engine. I am assuming it will need a complete bottom end overhaul. If so, it will soon be powered by a 4.7L stroker :smokin:

Thanks for being patient while we towed him out...

Did anybody get any pics from the rubicon rolling on the bypass on gaurdrail? I ran it by myself in a 1997 Toyota 4runner with Revo's, so I can't see how he had that much trouble.

Chris

4Runner Pics?

Matt,
I'm the guy that was driving the bone stock 88 4runner :driver: and camped two spots down from you guys at Crawford's. I was wondering if you got any pics of me when I almost tipped over on #2. I was thinking that you had your camera out then.

Jeff Posey

nope, i kinda wish that i did take pics of that. the stock runner was impressive. hope to see u out there again

got4-lo said:
nope, i kinda wish that i did take pics of that. the stock runner was impressive. hope to see u out there again

It won't be stock, next time. I already have 33x12.50's and a locker laying in the workshop. Thanks for the ballast. I'll give you a shout the next time I head up there.

Jeff

sounds good! im hopin to go back in july. to try out a few things that will be goin im my jeep very soon

Back