Tell me about

InfantryYJ

Abington, Pecan Ridge, Sedgemont Village and Pilot's Ridge. These are the subdivisions that we've narrowed our house hunting down to. There's a couple of other areas, but these are the primary ones that we are looking at. Good, bad or neutral, tell me what you can.

Guessing over by you maybe?
Triad or Greensboro area?
(yea, I'm on a boring ass conference call at work, so I googled the neighborhoods, and looked up previous posts)

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16201

He said maybe moving to Greensboro?
Google indicated triad, sooooo somewhere over there.
Not sure why I'm replying, since I have NFC about any of those neighborhoods?
So anyway,
Cheers.

Something tells me you better check for takeoff noise at "Pilot's Ridge". :)

One thing we did when house hunting was going thru the prospective neighborhoods many times, on different days and different times of the day. It may be quiet one time, but unbearable other times or days.

Example, friend of mine out in the county is 1/2 mile or so from a dirt motorcycle track. It's quiet all during the week. All day saturday, it's a constant buzz droning in the background from the bikes running.

Something tells me you better check for takeoff noise at "Pilot's Ridge". :)
One thing we did when house hunting was going thru the prospective neighborhoods many times, on different days and different times of the day. It may be quiet one time, but unbearable other times or days.
Example, friend of mine out in the county is 1/2 mile or so from a dirt motorcycle track. It's quiet all during the week. All day saturday, it's a constant buzz droning in the background from the bikes running.
A friend of mine found a house at a really good deal many years ago. The real estate agent would only meet them at the house during the week between 2 and 4pm. After they closed on it and were moving in they hear this thunderous sound outside. They go out and see a train speeding through their back yard!:wtf:
He was so embarrassed by his own stupidity that he moved on in and made the best of it.

Abington, Pecan Ridge, Sedgemont Village and Pilot's Ridge. These are the subdivisions that we've narrowed our house hunting down to. There's a couple of other areas, but these are the primary ones that we are looking at. Good, bad or neutral, tell me what you can.

Abington and Pecan Ridge are both in Kernersville I believe?

Abington is pretty decent neighborhood, the builder has a so-so reputation, but so does "every" vinyl village builder. They have a community pool you can join, decent location, nice houses.

For the life of me I cannot think of anything on the other ones despite the fact we live in Kville. Pecan Ridge might be the one that is fairly new/has lots you can buy/build on still, so not really a "planned" development, so prob easier on the Homeowners regulations.

Same infantryYJ from PBB? Crap there goes the neighborhood:flipoff2:

Any idea who the builder is at each of these subs? I used to do alot of deliveries to a pecan ridge, but that has been 6-7 years ago. Seems like it was built by surgert or peirce-roff ( I'm sure a slaughtered the spelling of both). IMO P-R houses are crap.

Abington, couldn't tell you, those are established neighborhoods and the houses we're looking at are 13ish years old.

Pilots Ridge, don't know either, the house we're looking at there is seven years old.

Sedgemont Village is Shugart

Pecan Ridge is Pierce

I am a General Contractor from the triad here.....

What is your general price point?
How many bedrooms? baths? and most important garage spaces?
Do you have children (asking for best school info)?
Are you looking for a light remodel, or like new condition?

With a little info I could lead you in the right direction.

Anything with shugart enterprises name on it stay away. Very poorly built houses. Just had one burn to the ground yesterday very quickly just a couple miles from my house. Looked like a mobile home it went up so quick.

But seriosly i know a few people that live in shugart homes and they hate them. They are really just thrown together very quickly and poorly built.

But just my .02.

I am a General Contractor from the triad here.....
What is your general price point? $150-200k
How many bedrooms? baths? and most important garage spaces? 3/2/2 garage
Do you have children (asking for best school info)? I have two children, 8 and 16 and as far as we can tell from the different school rating sites, the areas that we're looking at have decent schools and those districts allow you to choose which school. Also, the wife is in contact with a local teacher there who's given us the thumbs up for these areas
Are you looking for a light remodel, or like new condition? Right now, probably looking for an established home because if we go with new, it won't be done by the time we get there in June
With a little info I could lead you in the right direction.
We are already working with a buying agent, a friend of the family, so I think we're in decent hands.
Here's some of the houses that we're leaning heavily on.
House 1
House 2
House 3
House 4
We had some that were different, but through the information that we received, we ruled them out. Also, listingbook.com has better information than realtor.com, but I don't know how to post those links as you have to sign in to view them.

Anything with shugart enterprises name on it stay away. Very poorly built houses. Just had one burn to the ground yesterday very quickly just a couple miles from my house. Looked like a mobile home it went up so quick.
But seriosly i know a few people that live in shugart homes and they hate them. They are really just thrown together very quickly and poorly built.
But just my .02.

The rate of fire had nothing to do with the quailty of the home.
Shugart builts a decent house, you can not build a 1200 sqft home slow and except to stay in business. As for for friends that hate their house, what did they expect for a $100,000 production built home. Its like buying a Chevy and expecting a BMW.

Sorry for the off topic discussion. This "I know a guy who knows a guy who hates his house" what gives every contractor a bad rep. Shugart homes are built just like every other production home in the state. Inspected by the same county inspectors as $500,000 custom built houses. Mr Shugart has many Superintendents that have been with 15-20 years. Just for the record I am no way associcated with Shugart Enter. I just admire a smart business man that has figured out his market and has been very successful.

Sorry again for the off topic. Good Luck with you house search.

OK then how about tearing out the bathroom wall to do some work and reaching through to the vynil siding? Is that enough proof for you. I was a witness to that. Nothing between the sheetrock and the siding. Thats not a way to build a house. And there have been a few similar incidents in the same development. This is not a heard from someone thing. Im sorry but shugart houses are not built well they are thrown together.

Abington - 13 year old homes...I will eventually come up with the builders name, HUGE builder in the area, Not PRoth or Shugart, not KHovian/Westminster...

But anyway, been in several of those homes, they are decent homes for the money. Quite a few of them were built on slopes so you have 2 stories + drive in basement...or if the one you are looking at does not, there are quite a few in that neighborhood that do.

Ok, Pecan Ridge is actually very close to where I live. I really like this side of town, you can get to either I-40 or Biz 40 quickly, near Wal-mart, etc. Not a bad neighborhood, lots will be .25 to .33 acres...HOA rules etc. Abington will have bigger lots for the most part.

Wyndfall is the name of my development that I am living in, same price range, the houses are about 5-7 years old at most, some as few as 2-3 years old, I moved in mine Jan 2003, brand new. My only real complaint is the insulation meets code but that is it, I am paying about $300 a month between Gas and Electric, 2950sf house. (We keep it on 70 during winter and prob 68ish in summer, so I could save some by changing those but prefer to be comfortable)

Nice part is I paid $68.50 a sq foot, including hard wood floors in kitchen, Carolite countertops, bunch of upgrades...quite a few houses selling for 150-200k, 2 houses down from me is a nice 2 story corner lot, Korner Rock Road is the street name, they just moved out this weekend so they are probably motivated sellers.

PM me if you want me to get more details on that house. Actually here ya go! http://tinyurl.com/2r6uon

Sam

Dx Horton?
Arapaho (Mr. "I have 12 Ferrari's" Rapp)?

We just moved out of an Acrapp-co home. In hindsight, it wasnt terrible...we got what we paid for. Structurally it was sound, pretty drafty, no Tyvek wrap was used, I wished I had run a bead of silicone around between the 2x4 that sits on the slab and the slab itself. Had some issues with the HVAC, but that was the subcontractoers fault and it was all warranty. Oh, and Pete Wall plumbing fawked up and there was a bad solder joint upstairs that leaked in the kitchen first time th eshower was used. The plumber tried to tell me it was a clogged/overflowed toilet :flipoff2:. Arappco was good about coming out and fixing the sheetrock damage.

Our neighbor (at the old 'hood) bailed on a Pulte home that was being built for them. They said the Arappco was leaps and bounds above Pulte.

Wow, Abington has their own FORUM!

http://www.abingtonhomeowners.org/index.php

Might find some good/bad info in there..still have not figured out the name but I am 99% sure KHOV bought them out now that I think about it. Either way, they just had a reputation of putting a home cheaply, so you could buy it cheap and you could expect it to meet code but that is ALL you could expect. Same is true for every other big developer out there, custom builders are the way to go if you want quality, or owner/builder.

We are looking at buying some land this summer and selling our place, building our own home, will search for a friendly GC to supervise/signoff/make sure we are not doing anything too stupid, but hope to coordinate much of the work ourselves.

Sam

Thanks for the info so far.

Shinton, that house is a bit above what we're looking to spend. With the $200k cap, we could hopefully bid a bit lower, with that house setting at $215k, it'd be a bit harder to bid much lower than the cap we want,....I would think.

Thanks for the info so far.

Shinton, that house is a bit above what we're looking to spend. With the $200k cap, we could hopefully bid a bit lower, with that house setting at $215k, it'd be a bit harder to bid much lower than the cap we want,....I would think.

hell no! Bid what ever you want! Throw $175K at them. Who gives a rats ass if they get mad at the offer. They may come back and say how about $200K. $15K off $215K isn't ridiculous.

Back