Tell me about this trailer

Nissan11

I aquired this trailer today. It is a horse trailer, and I originally wanted to cut the top off and use it as a hauler, but there is no way anything except maybe a sami would fit on it. The trailer has sat in the same spot for over two years and is very dirty. There is not much rust, but a lot of moss and dirt on the outside. The springs, tires and wheels look usable and the tires are not the least bit dry rotted, all have held air while it sat. The hitch looks good as well and the jack works great.
dimensions on the inside are 10ft long, 5ft 5in. wide, 7ft tall.

Can anyone give me an idea of what this trailer weighs?
Im almost sure it is too heavy to pull with my frontier, the main reason because it does not have brakes. I have 6 extra springs on the back of my truck and it does not sag much with the trailer, but Im not towing anything over a couple thousand pounds that doesnt have brakes. This leads me to my next question, can I add brakes without replacing axles?

I race motocross, and since I cant use it to haul a rig, I would like to turn it into a camper, somewhere to sleep and gt out of the elements. It is 7ft high inside, so I will probably put some bunk beds in it if I can figure out how. The floor is wooden and in good shape but I think I will replace it anyway. It has windows on all 4 sides, a door on both sides and of course the big rear door. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can make the most out of the space inside? Anyone have pics of similar setups?

Overall, does this trailer look safe? Is the hitch heavy duty enough and safe? Is the trailer safe to tow at all without brakes? I just find it hard to believe somebody towed that trailer with 2 horses in it and the trailer never had brakes.

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0120.jpg

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0121.jpg

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0122.jpg

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0125.jpg

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0126.jpg

I crawled under there and stuck my head up behind one of the wheels and didnt see brakes. Is it possible only one axle has brakes?

It looks to have brakes. Most lighter duty trailers only have one braking axle. I'd go into the hubs..look at the bearings, make sure spindle nuts are tight etc. Probably would opt for some new rubber also. Seems like it ought to work for your intentions with a little tlc.

Btw I see your truck driving everyday it seems.

It looks to have brakes. Most lighter duty trailers only have one braking axle. I'd go into the hubs..look at the bearings, make sure spindle nuts are tight etc. Probably would opt for some new rubber also. Seems like it ought to work for your intentions with a little tlc.

Btw I see your truck driving everyday it seems.

You must see me on new garden then, because Im back and fourth between brassfield and bryan blvd almost every day. Whats your dd?

And do you think that trailer is too big a load for my truck? And can I get a trailer brake setup wired into my truck even though its a mid-size?

Yep, I live off Horsepen. I drive a white CCLB Dmax.

Yes, you'd need to wire a brake controller into your truck. I'd bet you'd be fine since it sounds like your just gonna be hauling the "carcass" of that trailer with maybe some gear inside. Not like your hauling horses or another vehicle. I would certainly make sure the brakes are working as they should on the trailer and buy a quality brake controller (Prodigy).

I guess I should have the controller installed professionally? And I already have a LOT of wiring going to my optima yellow top, should that be a problem?

David I wouldn't worry about brakes. Just pull it up on some oild changing ramps and spray the underneath out to inspect it. I would repaint the leaves and think about changing the tires. I would make the front half portion two parts. Like a big shelf. One upper section for storage and the whole bottom for sleeping. I would remove the gate a wall inside the trailer. Leave the hay for bedding :flipoff2:

I'm sure you could handle the install yourself. They only have 4 wires.

As far as the battery, I don't see why it would be as long as everything is properly fused. All it does it produce power, you decide where it goes.

I dont think this trailer would be worth much, even with new paint, tires, springs, etc.

So should I pull the leafs off, seperate them and paint them each individually? Its a PITA to pull the leafs off my truck and get them lined back up, it would probably take me 2 weeks to do 4 sets of springs. I guess that is what I need to do though.

Allot of trailer lots do trade ins too.

But if your dead set on making it a Bike hauler/camper that would be a fun project. I'd make to fold up bunks on the left side wall, and 2 bike "mounts" So if you need to haul 2 you can fold up the bunks and fit them in there side by side. At the end in the curved area I'd make like a cabinet with a counter-top. There would be a fresh water tank inside and a sink on top. Then overhead cabinets for storage. Id then put a shower hook up outside and some flood lights. An RV/AC unit on the roof and a generator mounted on the toungue.

But thats just me....

And maybe some propane tanks...

Im starting to work on it today but I cant figure out how to get to the hub nut. Does the silver cap come off, if so, how do I remove it? There are not nuts/bolts on the inside. I think the bearings are good though, there was no play in the wheel and I when I turn the hub it will spin freely 4 or 5 times before stopping. Should I leave it alone or should I still check the bearings?

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0132.jpg

Also, when I am ready to remove the springs to paint them, how to I get them off? Do I unbolt the seasaw looking device connecting the two leaf packs?

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0133.jpg

If it were me I wouldn't take the springs off. I'd jack it up on jack stands on all 4 corners, soak everything down with purple stuff, or the like, and pressure wash the crap out of it, then paint. Or if you don't have 4 stands, leave it hooked to your truck and jack the back up with 2 stands. You can take a flat bade screw driver and pry the caps off. They are just tapped on.

I wouldn't take springs off either...just pressure wash, maybe if real ambitious, hit em with a wire wheel on a grinder...then spray em with cheap black spray bomb...if they rust, chip whatever...wire wheel and spray bomb...cheap an easy...unless you buildin' a show piece...I'd spend time on wiring the brakes, lights, etc...& clean up to modify or sell...
good luck with it..

Here is a picture of the inside after I cleaned it out and removed the middle divider. I need to replace all the wood inside except for the floor and go over the wiring. I plugged in the trailer and all the lights work except for the 3 outside roof lights on the passenger side. I need to pick up an adapter so I can tow the trailer with my truck and have the lights work. There are very small rust spots all over the outside. How much do you guys think maaco or some other place would charge for a cheap paint job? Will they at least sand blast it before they paint it? I have heard they will paint cars for around 400 bucks.

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0137.jpg

I washed the outside and there is still a lot of good paint on the trailer. How can I match the paint exactly? And I guess I will have to get it mixed in a bucket so I will have to brush it on?

Thats what I think Im going to do, sell it as a horse trailer. I spent all day working on it today. I crawled under it and cleaned the springs , U bolts, stud nuts for the wheels, rim guards, and the underside of the fender. I primed the underside of the fender and then put 3 coats of black spray paint on it. I didnt paint the springs because it was so windy and the wind was really blowing under the trailer. I worked on it for about 5 hours and only got the one side done. While underneith the trailer with the wire wheel I saw that the angle iron cross supports for the floor are rusted. I guess I will tear the flor off, clean and paint the angle iron and then put new floor down.

It sure doesnt look like I accomplished much.

Here is a before pic of the side I worked on today.

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0125.jpg

Here it is after today.

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0138.jpg

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0141.jpg

Here si the other side which will probably have to wait until the end of the week since its supposed to snow again tuesday and wednesday.

ai130.photobucket.com_albums_p275_nissan11_misc_Trailer_20project_DSC_0140.jpg

Back