TDI first gen 4Runner, pickup

I've thought about making a paddle shift box for mine with other custom options for Auto shifting. Forgot who I was talking to that was interested as well. As though I don't have enough iron in the fire.

Did the adapter plates ever get done for the 3.0 / 5speed to TDI conversion?

Does the transfer case and transmission move or stay in same place?

The 4 kits I’ve made are already spoken for. The kit/s include adapter, flywheel spacer, engine mounts, a TDI grill emblem to replace your v6 emblem, and hardware for flywheel. You reuse Toyota bellhousing bolts to attach trans to adapter and you reuse the VW hardware to attach adapter to engine. The idea is to offer a bolt in solution for a 3.0 replacement. I will sell the kit with or without engine mounts. I can also offer just the plate that bolts to the engine sides of you prefer to make your own mounts.

Also, You’ll reuse the factory Toyota starter and drivetrain remains in stock location.

I’m waiting on feedback from the other guys to let me know what I can change to make it better.

I’m ready for 1 of the kits with engine mounts. Re use Toyota flywheel and clutch?

Any advice on wiring harness?

When will another kit be available?

I’m waiting on feedback from the other guys before I get too deep in making a ton of them. I want to make sure none of them have problems/issues before I market it as trouble free. My kit went together fine and it installed in both my trucks without modification but i need to know it fits all chassis with minimum altercation.

Yes, you’ll use your factory v6 flywheel/clutch. Right now, I’m sending pins to press into the current flywheel mounting holes. After the pins are installed, you drill the flywheel for the VW bolt pattern.

Hoping to do between now and 1st of year but it can wait.

1992 4runner, 3.0 v6, 5 speed
SAS

I could possibly get you something by end of year. Do you need the engine mounts as well? My price is going to be around $950, depending on the cost of NEW material. The cost is $50 less without the engine mounts. If you want it anodized, Anodizing cost $150. I have no control over it unless we could get several kits anodized at the same time. Originally, I didn't expect this much interest so I'm still developing my finished product. Is there anything you'd like to see me do different or add to the kit or components?

If anyone is interested in a TDI emblem to replace their V6 emblem, I have them for $35. They're free with the kit. You'll have to paint them yourself!

Attachments

• IMG_2170.jpg
    IMG_2170.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_2172.jpg
    IMG_2172.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Sounds good to me, no opinion on anodized or not. I’m interested in whatever keeps the cost down and expediates the process of install.

I do want the engine mounts, trying to save time on my side.

Any advice on the wiring harness other then to jump in?

Tons of questions for you since you have successfully completed the swap.

I have no advice because I have yet to complete my swap! I mocked everything up in my 4runner then tore my xcab apart to permanently do the install in it!

The only real advice I can give is, check out the TDI forum. Malone seems to be the go to for tuning. If you have specific questions, I’ll try to answer them the best I can.

I have an 83 that a previous owner swapped in a 1.9 TDI. It has a landrover injection pump so no computer (I suggest doing that save save the wiring headaches).

I bought it with intentions to finish up and drive, but now buying my mom's house and I just have too many projects so I am going to sell it. I can say for a fact it is WAY better than any 22re I have ever driven. No comparison really. It has the landrover pump abd Beetle turbo, he said he thinks it should be 170 HP, but if I had to guess it is probably 120-130 but who knows.

This swap is WELL worth doing though for anyone looking to do it. (Or just buy this truck from me and use all the parts off it and part out the rest!)

Attachments

• IMG_20181101_132928872.jpg
    IMG_20181101_132928872.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 389
From the research I have been doing it’s a toss up on ease of making tdi mechanical injection vs playing with wire harness. For me, to many pros for keeping the wiring harness, from reading alot about this swap, with tuning / programming (Malone) you can have a power house from this little engine and still get good? Mpg. Supposively more power and more mpg from tuning so I will be cutting wires and mapping it out. Either way, both have to be better then the 22r / re / and 3.0.

And the truck the tdi is going in has sas with lift springs, hopefully all will fit nicely, or we go higher!

I have an 83 that a previous owner swapped in a 1.9 TDI. It has a landrover injection pump so no computer (I suggest doing that save save the wiring headaches).

I bought it with intentions to finish up and drive, but now buying my mom's house and I just have too many projects so I am going to sell it. I can say for a fact it is WAY better than any 22re I have ever driven. No comparison really. It has the landrover pump abd Beetle turbo, he said he thinks it should be 170 HP, but if I had to guess it is probably 120-130 but who knows.

This swap is WELL worth doing though for anyone looking to do it. (Or just buy this truck from me and use all the parts off it and part out the rest!)

I’d like to see your ride! I’m right up the road from Winston-Salem!

From the research I have been doing it’s a toss up on ease of making tdi mechanical injection vs playing with wire harness. For me, to many pros for keeping the wiring harness, from reading alot about this swap, with tuning / programming (Malone) you can have a power house from this little engine and still get good? Mpg. Supposively more power and more mpg from tuning so I will be cutting wires and mapping it out. Either way, both have to be better then the 22r / re / and 3.0.

And the truck the tdi is going in has sas with lift springs, hopefully all will fit nicely, or we go higher!

I like the ease and reliability of the mechanical pump and I don’t particularly look forward to the wiring but I’m with you, the tuning possibilities are crazy!

Also, I don’t understand the cult following of the 22r/e’s. They leave so much to be desired and the reliability is just so poor. The TDI is what the Toyota pickup should’ve came with. Better power, better reliability, and twice the fuel mileage!

I like the ease and reliability of the mechanical pump and I don’t particularly look forward to the wiring but I’m with you, the tuning possibilities are crazy!

Also, I don’t understand the cult following of the 22r/e’s. They leave so much to be desired and the reliability is just so poor. The TDI is what the Toyota pickup should’ve came with. Better power, better reliability, and twice the fuel mileage!
When the time comes I think I’m going with the mechanical pump. Not a fan of the wiring, also if they were to throw a code, who in the world could check it for you? If someone deletes all the ecu stuff, I was scared nobody could check it out if something went wrong

Heading to LKQ in the morning to get a spare wiring harness to start the process! I will build a harness and test it in the car before pulling engine to make sure the swap will go together easier when the project starts.

Sounds good to me, no opinion on anodized or not. I’m interested in whatever keeps the cost down and expediates the process of install.

I do want the engine mounts, trying to save time on my side.

Any advice on the wiring harness other then to jump in?

Tons of questions for you since you have successfully completed the swap.

So, I had a minor setback and have to change adapter design. However, I can modify the existing adapter to new pattern and sell it for a lot less. The only problem will be finish. It won’t look as nice but will function the same.

Are any of these kits still available? Im starting to source parts for an 88 4runner. Also it has a 2 inch body lift to stay off the IFS, do you think that will be enough clearance for the stock alh oil pan? Thanks!

Are any of these kits still available? Im starting to source parts for an 88 4runner. Also it has a 2 inch body lift to stay off the IFS, do you think that will be enough clearance for the stock alh oil pan? Thanks!

I’ve had many people interested in kits but I’m extremely busy at work right now.

I suppose you could raise your engine/trans the 2” gained from your body lift but I’m thinking you need closer to 3” for oilpan clearance. I had originally tried to drop my ifs diff 2” but quickly realized it wasn’t enough clearance. A SAS would be best and that’s what I did. Some people will modify the pan to suit. It’s aluminum so be prepared for miracle type cleaning!

Back