Tagging A Trailer

obxbronco

Do you have to put a tag on a trailer? What's the rules or laws?

If it hauls anything, it needs a tag. If it doesn't, it doesn't. The best example is a pig cooker. An empty pig cooker is not made to haul anything, so no tag needed. But, if you have a pig in the cooker then its hauling something and needs a tag. Personally, I have multi year tags on all my trailers. 75 bucks one time and the tag is good as long as you own the trailer.

Duane

Personally, I have multi year tags on all my trailers. 75 bucks one time and the tag is good as long as you own the trailer.

Duane
I just tagged my new trailer this morning. multi-year is a better deal and you don't have the hassle of going every year.

To the original poster, make sure you have the policy number for the insurance policy on the vehicle that will be towing the trailer, tag office will need that.

i have an old military trailer, no registration. that's why i'm wondering, just gonna be hauling my stuff to the beach and stuff.

You guys may want to inquire about a permanent plate. I thought they were for government only stuff. My bro just got one on his car hauler. The total equaled 3 years of tax.

I've seen it bolted to the fender, and by no means is his vehicle for government use.

I'll be getting one on my next trailer!

You guys may want to inquire about a permanent plate. I thought they were for government only stuff. My bro just got one on his car hauler. The total equaled 3 years of tax.
I've seen it bolted to the fender, and by no means is his vehicle for government use.
I'll be getting one on my next trailer!

Refer to posts 2 and 3 :flipoff2:

Duane

His tag says Permanent on it. I've seen trailer tags that say Multi Year also.

I thought the multi year tags still need to be renewed?

If not, then I'll be the big pile of :poop: for the evening!

Put farm tags on the tow vehicle. You can tow anything without tags as long as you are on farm business.

Put farm tags on the tow vehicle. You can tow anything without tags as long as you are on farm business.

So, what possible explanation would you offer for towing an untagged trailer, loaded with an offroad vehicle, that could possibly account for "FARM Use"... when stopped by DMV? :rolleyes:

FAIL

So, what possible explanation would you offer for towing an untagged trailer, loaded with an offroad vehicle, that could possibly account for "FARM Use"... when stopped by DMV? :rolleyes:
FAIL

I think you also have a 100 mile limit

His tag says Permanent on it. I've seen trailer tags that say Multi Year also.
I thought the multi year tags still need to be renewed?
If not, then I'll be the big pile of :poop: for the evening!

Multi year tags are good as long as you own the trailer. Never seen actual permanent tags on a trailer? Ill have to research this.

Duane

I have a permanent tag on my trailer. I think it was 120 for title and tag. Never have to see the tag office again. At least not for the trailer

this thread got me wondering, I thought my trailer had a permanent tag, but I looked, and it is a multi-year.

Everyone I know has multi year tags, like I said Ive personally never seen a trailer with an actual permanent tag.

I have a permanent tag on my trailer. I think it was 120 for title and tag. Never have to see the tag office again. At least not for the trailer

Can you give us some information on your permanent tag? Maybe what the difference is between a permanent and multi year tag?

Duane

I went to take a picture to prove to you all that he has a permanent plate on his trailer. As I aimed my phone to it, the words Multi Year showed on my screen.

You may now throw all the dookie at me that you wish. Apologies ahead of time.

I went to take a picture to prove to you all that he has a permanent plate on his trailer. As I aimed my phone to it, the words Multi Year showed on my screen.
You may now throw all the dookie at me that you wish. Apologies ahead of time.

No need for dookie throwin, unless you're just into that kinda stuff :flipoff2:

Duane

multi year tags are for regular trailers all our big rig trailers have permanet tags ask dmv today you cant buy premanent tags for personal trailers

....and ya can't put a multi year tag on a camping trailer ( camper, pop-up, RV) .... I tried. they want their tax monies !

Back