T18 or NP435

Van-go

Not an old man
Starting a new build and have both of these transmissions.
Which one should I run?
They both have an NP205 attached

I will be running a Chevy 5.3 engine.
I will likely run a 203 doubler down the road.

Things to consider between the two:
Clearance
Which has ower granny gear
Strength
Longevity
Length
Value (I will sell one of them to help fund the build)

Thank for the help.

It will be going into a YJ.

Here is the T18
The 435 is still in a bronco.

IMG_0518.JPG

Ive run both in my 78 f150 crawler. Both are strong transmissions, ford used them interchagably in the 70s. The 435 has a slightly lower granny gear. Since you have both I'd run the 435 but its not worth stressing over if you only had the t18.

I had the output shaft main bearing go out on my 435, so i bought a t18 from a member on here years ago for $75 and swapped it in to finish the wheeling season. I did swap back to the 435 after I rebuilt it only after I had to go back in to replace a clutch.

Im not sure which is longer case wise, but the matching transfer case adapters put the driveline right so long as ypu use the same one, long or short.

The t18 swapped directly in place of the 435 with no mods whatsoever in my truck, from Bellhousing mounting surface to tcase surface was the exact same length.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Ive run both in my 78 f150 crawler. Both are strong transmissions, ford used them interchagably in the 70s. The 435 has a slightly lower granny gear. Since you have both I'd run the 435 but its not worth stressing over if you only had the t18.

I had the output shaft main bearing go out on my 435, so i bought a t18 from a member on here years ago for $75 and swapped it in to finish the wheeling season. I did swap back to the 435 after I rebuilt it only after I had to go back in to replace a clutch.

Im not sure which is longer case wise, but the matching transfer case adapters put the driveline right so long as ypu use the same one, long or short.

The t18 swapped directly in place of the 435 with no mods whatsoever in my truck, from Bellhousing mounting surface to tcase surface was the exact same length.

Do they shift similarly? Smoothness, throw, etc? I never got to drive the t18...

Do they shift similarly? Smoothness, throw, etc? I never got to drive the t18...
The t18 didnt have quite as long a throw into granny gear, but they shift very similar.

Granny and reverse both have a longer throw than 1 2 or 3 in both transmissions.

Both seemed to shift as smooth. I did seem to miss 2nd gear gate (really 3rd, but I count the gears L 1 2 3) in the t18 which along with the lower granny is why i switched back. Im sure that was a muscle memory thing on my part though.

The t18 is a 6.32 ratio the 435 is 6.72. Both are super low, but I found I wasnt slipping the clutch as much with the 435 in the rocks. But my rig is heavy and underpowered.

The t18 didnt have quite as long a throw into granny gear, but they shift very similar.

Granny and reverse both have a longer throw than 1 2 or 3 in both transmissions.

Both seemed to shift as smooth. I did seem to miss 2nd gear gate (really 3rd, but I count the gears L 1 2 3) in the t18 which along with the lower granny is why i switched back. Im sure that was a muscle memory thing on my part though.

The t18 is a 6.32 ratio the 435 is 6.72. Both are super low, but I found I wasnt slipping the clutch as much with the 435 in the rocks. But my rig is heavy and underpowered.

Thanks for the personal experience, that's what I'm looking for. I've done some reading on the two, but I just wanted to know somebody's opinion who's had them both.
Hopefully one will bring a few bucks so I can keep/start building my rig.

The case on the 435 is shorter by about an inch, but the tail housing is an inch longer, so they're the same overall length. You can put the T18 tail housing on the 435 to get a trans that's an inch shorter, if you're hard up for space. The extra spline should disappear inside the tcase, but you might want to check before final assembly.

The case on the 435 is shorter by about an inch, but the tail housing is an inch longer, so they're the same overall length. You can put the T18 tail housing on the 435 to get a trans that's an inch shorter, if you're hard up for space. The extra spline should disappear inside the tcase, but you might want to check before final assembly.
That's good info. Thanks. I like it

I have a 435 in my '86 F150 4wd & had a T-18 in a 2wd F-250...both were very similar, long throw, granny geared.

No problems w/ either.....just do not get in a hurry shifting.

I think the bottom two bolts on the case side of a T18 are wider than a 435.

I know Low in the T-18 is not synchronized. Can't recall the 435. Any difference?
Nope, neither are synchronized in low or reverse

Back