Straighten a bent barbell near Greensboro

hey man,

you re using the wrong bar. thats an olympic bar. not a powerlifting bar. they have different tensile strengths for different style if lifting.

power lifting bars are stiffer and dont bend til you get above 800LBS. Olympic bars are flexy and when y ou start adding high weight to them they stop returning to true. if you are bending bars this much dump that olympic bar and drop the $200 on a higher tensile bar.

just went to google to find some easy to reference. this is about the best i could find quickly.
Powerlifting Barbell vs Olympic Barbell - What's the Difference?

i used to power lift 20 years ago. had a trainer and a sponsor and all that mess. I got bonuses if he had to buy new bars.

I am buying these used bars bent..I dont bend bars. Bars bend when dropped on pins in a rack.
These york bars are 28mm. A power bar is 28.5 mm or 29mm. Both have same weight rating which is over 1000 lbs.
Saying an Olympic bar cant handle powerlifting is completely untrue. Olympic lifters lift heavy weight too..

I am buying these used bars bent..I dont bend bars. Bars bend when dropped on pins in a rack.
These york bars are 28mm. A power bar is 28.5 mm or 29mm. Both have same weight rating which is over 1000 lbs.
Saying an Olympic bar cant handle powerlifting is completely untrue. Olympic lifters lift heavy weight too..

thickness is irrelevant. different tensile strengths are what differentiates the two. they are designed to handle weight differently. designed to perform differently.

in olympic weight lifting the movement of weight is done through physics (inertia leverage etc). in power lifting its done using muscle mechanics.

In olympic lifting you want the weight to spring from one step in the lift to the next, in power lifting you dont want that springiness or movement. you want firm control of the weight.

believe it or not, there is a lot of science in those pieces of metal.

Clearly this is turning into a thread about the science of metals. Where is Fuller when we need him? I'm pretty sure he make his own bars and can lift more than anyone you've ever met.

thickness is irrelevant. different tensile strengths are what differentiates the two. they are designed to handle weight differently. designed to perform differently.

in olympic weight lifting the movement of weight is done through physics (inertia leverage etc). in power lifting its done using muscle mechanics.

In olympic lifting you want the weight to spring from one step in the lift to the next, in power lifting you dont want that springiness or movement. you want firm control of the weight.

believe it or not, there is a lot of science in those pieces of metal.

These bars are 200,000 psi tensile strength. How much more do you think they need before you consider them strong? Competition bars are about 202,000 psi so not much difference.

Also, the main difference in olympic lifting bars and powerlifting bars are not tensile strength, diameter OR whip. They are bushings vs bearings in the sleeves.
Powerlifters still want a bar with a lot of whip for deadlifting..not alot for squat and press.

Another difference is that we Olympic lifters can bend over and tie our shoes and reach around to scratch that pesky back itch.

:flipoff2:

I've always said "If I only had more leverage!" when a ass to grass clean spits my ass out the back and into the floor...where do I get leverage and inertia? I need ALOT more of it!

Hey I didn't start it...but I'm stealing this thread...

Another difference is that we Olympic lifters can bend over and tie our shoes and reach around to scratch that pesky back itch.
:flipoff2:

triggered

I literally threw my back out a few weeks ago bending over to pick up a valve stem cap, when earlier that week I was pulling reps over 5 bills. I guess I need more suppleness.

I feel it is my duty as OP to recap what I have learned so far:

Nobody can straighten a bar as good as I can.

I'll try it myself this week after a few vodkas.

Sup

Back