storring, christmas lights

Trash can.
time/effort to *attamept* to re-package, then unwrap the mass tangle next year > cost of new purchase.

As wasteful as it is, I always find that some of them don't woirk the next year anyway and I still find myself out buying some on clearance. best bet is to go out right after Christmas and buy them super cheap on clearance, all nice and wrapped up in the box for next year.

In all seriousness, I was at the Lowes on Hanes Mall yesterday, and in the meager pile of remaining Christmas stuff, they had sveral size tupperwares that came with cardboard trays specifically designed for wrapping lights around them.

We wrap them around the cardboard cylinders that gift wrap come in, tape the ends, we've re-used the same sets for years, no tangles. I say we, but it's really she, I don't mess with them.

My father in law works for an electric supply company, I get the reels that the 10/3 wire comes on which is perfect for a christmas tree full of lights. Have one real for each color. I use the plastic walmart bag idea for the icicle lights. 1 strand per bag then all the bags into a larger bag. I also put up garland lights that I put on a 4in wide reel.

just cut 2 slits on a cardboard rectangle on opposite sides (4 slits if you want to store 2 sets of lights, 6 for 3, and so on)

wrap em around the cardboard keeping the strand in those cuts on the cardboard, and toss em in a bag, plastic tote, trash can, you name it..

Large box, toss them in... I just untangle them every year. Why fight it. Just embrace the tangled mess and its not really that bad. , only takes 5 min.

Just embrace the tangled mess and its not really that bad. , only takes 5 min.

You must be more patient than me.
That is 5 minutes of agonizing torture. Profanity required.

I use the Lowe's after Christmas method.

Have 8 boxes here paid .99 each (they are the GE "premium" variety too w00t) for on Thursday. When all the ones come down they hit the can. Except for the tree. Finally let the wife talk me into a fake tree last year (also after Christmas paid 34.99 regularly $149 at garden Ridge) it comes pre-lit....now the only light we screw with are the house lights and the misc. strands I sprinkle through the house.

My first thought was, I'd pay someone to untangle them, so why not pay someone to package them and just buy new ones. If I could find them for ¢99 I'd be REAL tempted to toss them.

some good ideas here. unfortunately the wife had to have the icicle kind. :rolleyes: I wanted the BIG old fashion colored bulbs.

The idea of rolling them around something works very well. I saw someone do it and started rolling mine a couple years ago. I use wadded up cardboard and then throw in a box and they come off tangle free both years now. Even being icycle lights.

I usually toss them in a bag and wait to mess with them next year. Then I go to Lowes or Wal Mart and look for the specials on the lights and replace the ones next year that don't work with the new ones I bought on sale for $1...

The ones that don't work go in the garage sale pile and are sold for $1 each during early fall.

I usually end up breaking even (even coming out ahead sometimes) and have new lights and no tangles to worrry with

Trash can.
time/effort to *attamept* to re-package, then unwrap the mass tangle next year > cost of new purchase.
As wasteful as it is, I always find that some of them don't woirk the next year anyway and I still find myself out buying some on clearance. best bet is to go out right after Christmas and buy them super cheap on clearance, all nice and wrapped up in the box for next year.
I use the Lowe's after Christmas method.

Have 8 boxes here paid .99 each (they are the GE "premium" variety too w00t) for on Thursday. When all the ones come down they hit the can.
My first thought was, I'd pay someone to untangle them, so why not pay someone to package them and just buy new ones. If I could find them for ¢99 I'd be REAL tempted to toss them.
Best idea yet, shitcan them and buy new lights next Christmas.
...Then I go to Lowes or Wal Mart and look for the specials on the lights and replace the ones next year that don't work with the new ones I bought on sale for $1...

Woohoo, I don't feel like such a wasteful yutz anymore!

Back