Stickers on Stickers for Volunteers

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
First off let me say this isn't an NC4X4 specific incentive, this is something I am personally organizing for ANYONE that wants to Volunteer. Hopefully this way the word will get out to as many people as possible. And in the long run this will help unite NC4X4s efforts with other groups etc.

Also keep in mind this is a purely optional incentive to take part in, it is designed for the people that take pride in what they are doing and just so happen to also enjoy stickers. It will also be an easy conversation starter for those volunteering to use to spread the word while out wheeling/etc.

Some will remember there was a more trail pass orientated design, but to avoid issues with people mistaking it (mainly the Forest Service) for a trail pass it was changed to a much larger bumper sticker style:

trailworkdaypasspreview.jpg

As you can see it retains a very official look using correct fonts/styles etc, but it can no longer be confused with a trail pass. It also contains the generic SUV "ORV Marker", and the 4 trail diamonds (easy,moderate,difficult, and orange blaze). You will also notice has 3 spots for additional stickers for each year you volunteer. They are inspired from the Yearly OHV decals that Texas and Arizona have (but not implemented here). They will be color coordinated with the trail pass colors that year. So here what "blaze red" for this year will look like but with a 2012 year on it:

ohvdecal.jpg

I will be covering the cost of these smaller stickers, and will be handing them out at the Group Work Days. You only have to attend one work day to get your sticker for that year, but of course we encourage you to attend as many as you can. I am thinking of making a gold version of every years sticker for those that attend 3+ work days or something like that. A little extra reward for those that go the extra mile.

ohvdecalgold.jpg

(EDIT: Attending 3+ Group Work Days will get you a gold)

The larger base stickers are available from Cafepress at the base price of $3.49. These are large stickers, 10" long by 3" high. So its safe to say the will stand out on your rig. You can purchase them here:

http://www.cafepress.com/4wdstickers.450618530

If I had the bank account funds I would cover the cost of the larger stickers, but it will be costly enough covering the little yearly stickers as it is. I encourage everyone that volunteers to get one of these and take pride in the fact that they help keep our trails open. And at the same time displaying the sticker on your rig helps raise awareness and get the word out about the Trail Work days to everyone that sees your rig.:beer:

Excellent idea Eli! This will show others what they're doing. Only way to buy one is to volenteer?

Excellent idea Eli! This will show others what they're doing. Only way to buy one is to volenteer?

Thanks for the kind words. The general idea is that only Volunteers like yourself would/should be able to buy the bumper stickers. But doing them through Cafepress I can't limit who can and can't buy them. That is where the smaller yearly stickers come into play. If someone that doesn't volunteer buys the sticker, they are left with three grayed out spots showing they haven't volunteered. So other people can buy them, but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Because the only way to get one of the Yearly Stickers is to show up at the Group Work Days.

I think its a great way to kill 2 birds with one stone. It lets people have something to show for their efforts in volunteering, and at the same time it spreads the word to anyone that sees their rig about the work days. Its a win/win situation.

And again while I wish we could hand these out for free, $3.49 isn't bad at all for a 10" long x 3" high sticker. Consider it holds 3 yearly stickers, that works out to the sticker costing $1.16 a year. I will be ordering my own tonight, plus lining up 24 of the red blaze 2010 stickers, and 8 gold blaze 2010 stickers to get the ball rolling. :beer:

Great idea. I will have to get there in time to get counted LOL. Now I just have to figure out how to get out of going in to work Sat. mornings.

Its only one Saturday a month, I am sure they can live without you for one of them. :lol:

Great job on the stickers and everything that you are doing to promote volunteerism at URE!

the stickers are great, but the red sticker w/ white slash is the Int. symbol for scuba diving. I can forsee many vols. being asked where they dive at at URE.LOL

Other than that , Great job Eli!

Awesome Idea and glad to see you really pushing this effort.

It is a great cause and you seem to be a great champion for the cause.

PM me if interested but I can save you BIG on your stickers....I know an offroad specific decal company that has awesome prices and may even be interested in helping the cause if you talk to them (For all ECORS fans/racers they do our newest stickers and our tech stickers so maybe you can chime in on quality)...for a medium quantity you coul easily get under $1/sticker...for a high quality 5 year vinyl not the cafe press paper stuff

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I can only hope now people will order their stickers and show everyone in the OHV community that sees their rig what they are doing to help keep our trails open. And from there the word will spread, and keep spreading. And its just about one of the easiest way to do so, all you have to do is put the sticker on your rig.

Right now no one has ordered their volunteer sticker. So to help get the ball rolling the first 10 people that order their sticker will get a free hotdog from Your Hot Dog Guy. Its very simple in the morning of the work day I will give Terry the money to cover the hotdogs, then when you come in at lunch you will receive your free hotdog. If you cannot make the July work day but still are one of the first 10, the next work day that you can attend you will get your free hotdog.

Beyond that just PM me that you have ordered your sticker and your name/the name on your cafepress account. I will check the order log, and verify your order and that is it. :beer:

Just ordered mine.

My sticker is on it's way...

i ordered one as well! this will be a sticker on my car with a cool story behind it.....cannot wait to put it on the xj when i get it!:bounce2:

Stickers showed up today, they turned out perfect.

0604101627a.jpg

0604101629a.jpg

I went to put it on my truck and I made a big mistake, I started putting it on the window slightly crooked. That was it, the sticker stretched when pulling it back off and it was ruined. So I just got to order another. A big fault was in my idea of using my cell phone as a flat edge to press against the sticker. Make sure you have a piece of cardboard or other real flat edge when applying this sticker. With it being 10"x3" its a large sticker and isn't as easy to apply as smaller ones.

Make sure you have a piece of cardboard or other real flat edge when applying this sticker. With it being 10"x3" its a large sticker and isn't as easy to apply as smaller ones.
Since they give them to anyone, it's one of the few things a NC drivers license is good for.:lol:

Since they give them to anyone, it's one of the few things a NC drivers license is good for.:lol:

I will keep that in mind when my next sticker comes in, hopefully tomorrow.

On another note has anyone else got their sticker in and put on their rig? Would be cool to see some pictures of stickers on rigs. :beer:

They are pretty hard to put on. I got the bubbles out, but still was left with a wrinkle or two. I didn't really have another place to put it except on my back glass.
aimg689.imageshack.us_img689_3166_20100611093204.jpg
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

got mine on, the sticker was a little flexible and i was tuggin to hard on it when i was trying to apply it without getting any bubbles.....still looks great :)
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_3f072607.jpg

ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_37dd1237.jpg

They are pretty hard to put on. I got the bubbles out, but still was left with a wrinkle or two.

for those that have yet put them on. Take an empty spray bottle, put water in it, then just a drop.. A DROP of liquid soap in it. mix it up. Spray the area you want to put it on. place your sticker in that area. you can then slide and position the sticker. then squeegy the sticker down with an ice scraper, or credit card or something flat.

or.

Peel back one end of the sticker about 1/2" fold it back. line up the sticker where you want it. stick down the exposed sticker. then use a credit card to squeegy with one hand as you pull the backing paper off with the other hand. One handed people should get a friend or try option 1 above.

for those that have yet put them on. Take an empty spray bottle, put water in it, then just a drop.. A DROP of liquid soap in it. mix it up. Spray the area you want to put it on. place your sticker in that area. you can then slide and position the sticker. then squeegy the sticker down with an ice scraper, or credit card or something flat.
or.
Peel back one end of the sticker about 1/2" fold it back. line up the sticker where you want it. stick down the exposed sticker. then use a credit card to squeegy with one hand as you pull the backing paper off with the other hand. One handed people should get a friend or try option 1 above.

NOOOOOOOOOOOW YOU TELL US! That should be sticked at the beginning.

This is the technique I found worked good on the smaller ones, and is what I did when I ruined the first one. The thing is though I messed up by starting to put in on crooked, otherwise it would have worked. I am putting mine on here in the next hour or so, we will see how well attempt 2 goes. :popcorn:

Here is the technique I used, I cheated by using the top of my window as a guide. I lined up the sticker still on the backing up against the top of my window. I had another person help and hold the left hand side of the sticker so it stayed lined up with the top of the window. I started on the right hand side of the sticker and got just maybe an 1/8th of an inch of it stuck to the window. Then I took my drivers license and the other person grabbed the backing I had pulled back (from the right). And as they pulled the backing away I moved forward with the drivers license pushing the sticker against the window. Here is the results:

0611101935a.jpg

0611101935b.jpg

The only thing that got messed up was the edges on the right hand side, they got slightly stretched.

If you are truly not happy with the way your sticker turned out, send me a PM and we will work something out so you can get another sticker. :beer:

ok i have a question about this sticker... i plan on getting one for my samurai... i do alot of trail cleaning on Falls dam..( my samurai is down now for an axle swapp but it should be done by end of july) but my work sehecule doesnt allow me to make the actual work days... but im off every Monday... as long as i let the ranger station know that im going to do some cleaning or trail repair if needed, will i be able to get the color stickers?

ok i have a question about this sticker... i plan on getting one for my samurai... i do alot of trail cleaning on Falls dam..( my samurai is down now for an axle swapp but it should be done by end of july) but my work sehecule doesnt allow me to make the actual work days... but im off every Monday... as long as i let the ranger station know that im going to do some cleaning or trail repair if needed, will i be able to get the color stickers?

This would fall under "Individual Work Days" which I neglected to cover. Because its understandable that not everyone's schedules work out so they can attend the work days. Stopping by the Ranger station or Janet Becker at Arrowhead is a great thing to do so your volunteer hours can be counted. BUT it is not necessary to get the colored stickers for each year you volunteer. I have the colored stickers and I distribute them at the work days. But in your case just drop me a PM and we will work out how to get you your sticker. :beer:

Who does the nc4x4.com stickers? Any chance one could be picked up saturday? Or are they a made to order type deal?

Here's where my sticker ended up.
ai182.photobucket.com_albums_x200_MissingMtns_YJ_P6170002.jpg

Back