Step 1 To Re-Opening Old Trails - Trail Hike

Are You Interested In Attending A Trail Hike?

• Total voters
88bronzetrooper + 1 (+2 more are maybe) SLR and Video cam
Ghost aka: Glenn Point and shoot and Video if needed.

The confirmed list still helps get any idea Eli. I mean yeah people may show up last minuet and people may bail last minuet but that doesn't mean we cant at least get an idea of whos going and not going to help us be better organized.

You are more than welcome to go for it. I have done them in the past even to splitting up groups and when the day comes things change. I wasted a lot of time, I will be bringing supplies for a sign in sheet that will be my organization.

Barring any last minutes work issues I will be there. I will have the following:
- 2 GPS's: 1 is a smart phone and 1 is a Garmin Rhino (if I can get back the one I loaned out I'll have 2 Garmins).
- 4 1/50,000 military maps. They are black and white copies but are to scale.
- 1 Digital Camera

Hi, any last minute info/updates/changes? Can you confirm time/location just so I can get a warm and fuzzy? Also I plan on driving a car and not a truck because from what I understand we can't take vehicles on the trails. I know this all has been covered but there are four pages of conversation here and I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thx.

I plan on being at the outpost at 9 in a Kia Soul. :lol: I am bringing the big 1st aid kit, water, and a digital camera and a measuring wheel.

Hi, any last minute info/updates/changes? Can you confirm time/location just so I can get a warm and fuzzy? Also I plan on driving a car and not a truck because from what I understand we can't take vehicles on the trails. I know this all has been covered but there are four pages of conversation here and I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. Thx.

We won't be able to take vehicles on the trail, that is correct. I should be driving the Mazda 626 in light of this, no sense driving the 15mpg Raider and burn any more tread on the Swampers. Should make an interesting photo shot of a bunch of cars in the Cotton Place parking lot.

The meet up time is 9AM at the Eldorado Outpost. I know everyone won't be showing up exactly at 9AM probably (and it allows people to grab breakfast,drinks, etc) so we will be there till at little bit after 9:30. If you show up after 9:30 and don't see anyone at the Outpost head down to the Cotton Place (Daniel) Trail head.

I know there are at least a number of us that don't know each other in person. So just look for the big guy (over 6 foot 6 inches tall) with the orange Bobcat Hat on. You cant miss me, lol.

Hey guys we will see you there about 9ish. We will have the big Red Xterra. So I know there cant be two of those up there tomorrow so If you dont know if our group is there look for that truck and you will find us.

I'll be there in a white F150 sometime around 9 -9:30.

I'll be there at 9 in my Toyota Coralla. 90 mile trip one way so bringing the gas sipper. I'll have some military maps a couple of GPS's a digital camera, material to take notes with and assorted other junk.

I don't know how to put this but I had to cancel last minute. The person organizing the entire thing should be there, but I had no way of getting up there until it was too late. She got back with the Mazda an hour late, and the truck is really in no shape to go out on a 120 mile trip right now. Throw on top of it an argument that happened when she got home I ended up having to call Scott Fields and ask him to take over for me.

So my apologies to everyone for not being able to make it, but sh*t happens I guess. This puts me really behind the ball on this project, but hopefully with the knowledgeable people out there a lot will get done.

I don't know how to put this but I had to cancel last minute. The person organizing the entire thing should be there, but I had no way of getting up there until it was too late. She got back with the Mazda an hour late, and the truck is really in no shape to go out on a 120 mile trip right now. Throw on top of it an argument that happened when she got home I ended up having to call Scott Fields and ask him to take over for me.
So my apologies to everyone for not being able to make it, but sh*t happens I guess. This puts me really behind the ball on this project, but hopefully with the knowledgeable people out there a lot will get done.
If I be so bold as to say this but do not worry about it. Like you said it happens. I do not believe the one hike is going to merit enough info for a well thought out and well prepared proposal. Just my opinion on the matter. I enjoyed meeting everyone that showed up and really enjoyed the hike. Feel free to let me know what you need from me and I will do my best to do it.

I just got back in. Thanks for having me out there babbling about environmental stuff. if someone can send me their gps overlay of what we walked I can highlight the good areas, bad areas and stuff in between.

This was a very good walk. There are a ton environmental issues on the 1st half of gold mine from cotton place. But from the saddle to dickey bell next to no issues even with the multiple stream crossings. there is a little bit of an issue at the end of the old trail where it ties into dickey bell. There is a spring head and an archeological spot that will need to figured out but there are plenty of options.

From the saddle there was a trail that goes a good ways to almost tying into daniel. there will need to be a short segment of new trail cut to get it below the switchbacks that most everyone was want.

I look forward to getting peoples pictures and gpsed maps posted on here. I also can not wait to go back out there again to do some more recon. Thanks again for letting me help out. i enjoyed meeting everyone and sorry for holding people up on pointing out things. :rolleyes:

valkyrie, great meeting you too. Everyone please forgive me as I'm so very bad with names.

The hike was great. Even better was meeting new faces and seeing a couple from the Uwharrie work days last summer. Hope to see you guys around in the future. Also hope this trail reopening can gain legs and go somewhere.

I will try to get some cross-site participation going with this as well as the workdays. Thanks for having me along guys! :)

I'll write up what I have, burn the photos to a disk and mail everything to Valkyrie 45. If there is any interest in the write up I can post it here. I'll have the GPS grids, both MGRS and lat/long in the write up. Photos will be another issue. I took HQ photos and a lot of them. If it is mission essential that you get a copy of the photos drop me a PM. Thanks and it was nice meeting everyone.

Beekiller I like the screen name:driver: I will say after meeting you that would have not been the screen name I would have guess for you. I was thinking of you ore of a hornetkiller or waspslayer :lol:

Gator I think 88bronzetrooper was talking about setting up a photobucket account so everyone can dump their photos into one spot and then we can go in and add notes to the different pictures. I am also in the process of pming you my email to get everything in order. thanks for all the work on taking notes, gps, making maps, taking pictures, and good conversations.

Anything anyone can post up is greatly appreciated. I wasn't there so I will be playing catch up, end goal is to start putting something together to present to the Forest Service.

Is anyone wants to send anything via e-mail:

DRaider86@gmail.com

Glad to hear between Scott, Bruce, Kenny, and the rest that showed up everything went well. We wandering around (trying not to die) at the back of the group wouldn't have made a big difference anyway.

I have been talking on the phone with various people that went getting filled in, and it sounds like we have the beginning of a viable plan to make so Daniel will no longer be a dead end trail. Thanks again to everyone for making this happen even with my lack of attendance.

Gears are all ready turning and putting together a 2nd hike in the 2-4 week time frame.

Hey guys, Just wanted to say thanks for a great hike. Dad and I both had a great time out there today. There really looks like a lot of potential for some of the spots around the saddle and up towards Daniel. Be fun to see what we can come up with to present to the FS and see where this goes and as Brian said hope to be wheeling with all of you on this soon.

Trying to figure out how to get the info off my phone and onto Google maps. I should have it figured out soon. When I do I will post it.

Let me know when a group would like to go back out and scout the other trails branching off of daniel.

This is the area we hiked from the saddle area to the existing Daniel trail, it came out right at the first ledge at daniel.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...ll=35.415355,-80.030251&spn=0.039731,0.024118

at one point in this map we were hiking up the mountain, but we eventually found the trail that would be the proposed trail from daniel to the saddle area (assuming), this existing trail would need alot of work, it is severely washed out in places and is a logging trail cut into the side of the mountain, this is what I suggest we hike again and map it accurately and decide weither we would like to use this trail or use the other trail we started out on as the access to daniel.

That sounds great to me. Thanks for the help and maps, and I think we should hike that trail you found at the top of the hill from daniel back first next time.

I took both gps layouts of Larry's and made this map. If someon wants to clean it up and put it on the existing trail map that would be great.

ai221.photobucket.com_albums_dd257_K0045_Misc_Goldmine1a.jpg

ai221.photobucket.com_albums_dd257_K0045_Misc_Goldmine1b.jpg

The orange is the path that part of us took trying to follow a common contour to reach Daniel. Larry and a few went north to tap into an old trail and followed it to Daniel.

Back