Steering Woes

ProjekTJ

Recently I've added lockers front & rear. This past weekend was my first actual outing and test run. I've found that the steering in dry conditions (by dry I mean Uwharrie this past sunday...dry some places) is very tough and tends to lock up before full lock. Specifically to the left. This is while the vehicle is in 4L and moving at slightly less than a medium pace. :D I checked the fluid and it was a little low. (at the cold indicator when it was definitely warm) I'm wanting to move up to 35's in the very near future but I don't want the added strain/struggle on the steering box, pump, and me. I've read a few posts about swapping in a Durango steering box and pump since it's a direct match. Does anyone have any other thoughts about this?

Key items:
2000 TJ 5spd, 4.0L, 5" of lift, stock steering + Big Daddy Tie Rod, LockRight in the front, 4.88s, 33"s.

I've run 36's on mine, lunchbox locker(lock rite) and yes, it's harder to steer, but not too bad. 2Lo kit in your Tcase might be what you need.

I've thought about going that route also. 2Lo and a steering box brace. After I got tired of fighting the wheel I just ran the rest of the day in 2wd. I think it's just a matter of me getting use to it and changing my driving style from being always in 4wd to switching between 2wd & 4wd.

Has anyone one done a PSC or AGR upgrade. I'm thinking new pump and gear box. Maybe one that can be upgraded later to Ram Assist. PSC has a good one from what I've read. I'm looking for help with doing this if anyone has any good experiences.

ProjekTJ said:
Has anyone one done a PSC or AGR upgrade. I'm thinking new pump and gear box. Maybe one that can be upgraded later to Ram Assist. PSC has a good one from what I've read. I'm looking for help with doing this if anyone has any good experiences.

Yoe can get your box drilled and tapped for about $50 or do it yourself. Your stock pump will work fine or you can adjust the pressure relief valve for more pressure. A ram will run ya bout $120. Hoses/fittings bout $60. So for about $250 you can have the complete set up. Or I have a freind that will do it trun key for about $500. Includes EVERYTHING. Save your $ for other things.
PM me if you're interested.

JB

Stay away from AGR... Their well-earned reputation is nothing more than vapor these days.

I went with the 2 inch bore, 8 inch ram from Tractor Supply I think about $63 bucks. Hoses from Northern, for like $7.50 each made my own mounts. Added to my resevor for extra capacity when ram is extended. Drilled and tapped my own box. If a TJ is like a CJ with the Saginaw box it's easy. Directions are on Pirate
Chip

upnover said:
I went with the 2 inch bore, 8 inch ram from Tractor Supply I think about $63 bucks. Hoses from Northern, for like $7.50 each made my own mounts. Added to my resevor for extra capacity when ram is extended. Drilled and tapped my own box. If a TJ is like a CJ with the Saginaw box it's easy. Directions are on Pirate
Chip
After I pick up my power box, I may have to meet up with you for some drilling and tapping...

Hey Staton, I run a Sagianw box and Pump on mine and welded up in the front, it wasn't such a great steering rig until I added a cooler, might be a cheaper trick to try, as the fluid gets even a little warmer than usual, mine was having a tough time, but now its easy steering all day swingin 2" backspaced 37 Claws...

ProjekTJ said:

hey Staton,
We keep PSC boxes in stock most of the time with the hydro assist option(capped off till you decide to add it later). I would definitely say go PSC over AGR, we have had some major PITA problems with AGR pumps and boxes in the recent past, as have most other people that I know.

That is why I switched over to PSC stuff and we have not had a complaint yet.

We keep the 1.5x8" rams in stock as well. 2" will be too slow for a street driven DD rig.

If you want to drill and tap your box no big deal, let me know. I think you will be happier with the variable rate PSC box as a starting point for your future plans. We have the stock TJ boxes blow seals quite often, they were not as good as the older style seals.

Let me know if I can help you out.
Andy

Back