steering setup for 78 F250 D44

shocker998md

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some guidance on how I should set my steering up on a 78 F250 build that I'm slowly working on. It will have around 6-8 inches of lift using super duty springs in the front and I'm thinking that's putting me in the realm of cross over steering. I've dug around on rough stuff and they have some kits with or without knuckles and they also have Hi steer kits as well.

This truck will be just a cruising around lifted truck that wont get much wheeling time since I will be redoing the sheet metal and painting it decent, I've got a separate 78 F150 build that will be the wheeler.

So for a pavement pounder that I want to drive and enjoy driving it how should I go about it? Go cross over and machine the knuckles, buy the knuckles already done, skip all that and go drop pitman arm and adjustable drag link? I'm new to the cross over stuff.

If you have a flat top passenger side knuckle just have it machined and then do crossover. If you can find a good deal on the knuckle already machined or you don't have a flat top adjust then I'd buy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Probably cross over, because it will reduce angles between pitman arm and knuckle, this reducing bump steer and suspension induced steering. @Fabrik8 mentioned something about Ackerman angle in another thread? Not sure what that is but it has to do with steering, lift, and steering linkage angles.

@Fabrik8 mentioned something about Ackerman angle in another thread? Not sure what that is but it has to do with steering, lift, and steering linkage angles.

Ackermann is just non-parallel steering arms, which makes the outside and inside wheels steer a different amount and therefore turn at different radius while turning. I mentioned it in the other thread because Ackermann has an affect on turning circle. It has everything to do with steer arm geometry and how those arms are tied together with a tie rod to make a linkage, etc., and not much to do with lift or drag link angle or bumpsteer.

im really happy with my 1 ton steering setup from @4wheelsupply really quality stuff and done right. based on learned info crossover is ideal for best BJ life. and learned that the pitman arm, hole to hole, must equal the length of BJ to the tre/heim of your tie rod. that the closer you can get your drag link to parallel with your tie rod the easier to steer. and that you save tire tread and easier to steer when your ackerman is right.

Back