Steering Setup Advice

YJJPWrangler

Rig in Question:

jZQfcRIdXIgNwb56Z1-LIlSwf9Fnog8CM9E9zJmDrZEjf2fxLlimUNViemJ8Hdq53Q30s4N66LwZvem-tviuJOhfH2_vr3dvJ_m5cMpu9lEO7WF3hNUje8YDKETLYdHXXbuIqOO1c1Dk9x1AtBf0rjAHyonmCAkrl1MXLNymF962kln8EI_Ia0ahxprfPzVH_wtrtMj6QGjILdUtX1JRTeEJN5gEtoQSnYnddY2JLMzma5chcBke-GXQcM0k2UCIY5koO8D1h22-HrIBaMlF2EdQM8NJo_MQ9CwhhgqV3K_u2sMZKK4TB5F03FOzjrNHfVolvoQFI0c-seqDAEjOIJnkpo93CYaOumAR5TqDTvmePbGWB9VLth-HsceXX8d2JQSfoVI34X5cUa2jBXouVk5Nhs8A2BXrSfR26kQFkHcD2KIdQxhCgUUMLG_ogEVqbfqopbOmuroj8FQgW5Oo7pIjScvnVAZZUerOFHcVypSkQGAz7fNwkfUA5d3UbLqgBZ9PG1iwf-WPjeMc6jxRKRg_8j_BgdKdRoAu6Epu32wSB4bcpKQcwPoUQeZboSxQZc3Mon3B1FSFs0sL9nFPcG_PMxiU4oiSkbq4nhU=w1026-h769-no

1948 Willys with a 4.3L motor. I have the stock power steering pump from the 4.3l that I plan on using. I have a stock Wagoneer power steering box that I want to replace and use a Saginaw box(Astro van). I have a set of Branik hi-steer knuckles. I am in need of the following parts:
Steering column/linkage
Steering box
pitman arm/draglink
tierod

Can anyone recommend a simple steering column to use? Either original or aftermarket? All I need on the steering column is a signal indicator. It looks like I'm going to have to snake the steering linkage through the driver side header so maybe use a pillow block(or two) to get the angles correct? Anybody built their own and have pictures?

I plan on using a Astro box to turn everything. I guess I'll make/buy my own tierod/draglink as well. Would it be worth it to look into hydro-assist? I am currently running 36" Iroks. My last rig was manual steering on 33's and it was pretty bad offroad. All I would need for hydro assist is tapping the box, ram, reservoir, lines and a cooler?

Thanks for any help or advice.

I think @XJfreakHO had a tapped Astro box he would get rid of last time I saw him.
You are correct on the parts needed for assist. I can dig up my receipt from surplus center if you need part numbers.

I do... I've been so busy I haven't made any attempts to sell anything. I bought the box new and tapped it. Ran it for 4 trips before deciding I needed full hydro to be happy.

Make me an offer.

I'm getting the steering box from @XJfreakHO . @Van-go, can you find the parts receipt for the hydro assist parts? Looks like I need to find a YJ column as well. I'll most likely go with Barnes heavy duty steering kit found here.

1 Ton Tie Rod Crossover Steering Kit

I would like to stick with TRE's and not go the heim route. Any pros/cons for the heim route that I might not know of?

I'm getting the steering box from @XJfreakHO . @Van-go, can you find the parts receipt for the hydro assist parts? Looks like I need to find a YJ column as well. I'll most likely go with Barnes heavy duty steering kit found here.

1 Ton Tie Rod Crossover Steering Kit

I would like to stick with TRE's and not go the heim route. Any pros/cons for the heim route that I might not know of?

I just sold a YJ column. Sorry.

I threaded the hydraulic line directly into my box, but you could put a fitting there if you needed to.

I got 3 of these. (One as a trail spare)
3/8" x 36" 3/8 NPTM x 3/8 NPTM SAE 100R16 Hydraulic Hose Assembly 5000 PSI | Hydraulic Hose Assemblies | Hydraulic Hose and Hose Assemblies | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

One of these
1.5x8x1 DA Hydraulic Cylinder Swivel Eyes | Double Acting Hydraulic Cylinders | Hydraulic Cylinders | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

2 of these to go from ram to hose.
You could also get these in a strait connection or a 45deg angle if preferred.

SAE 6M x 3/8 NPTF 90 Swivel | SAE Male to NPT Female Swivel - Right Angle | SAE O-ring to NPT | Hydraulic Adapters & Fittings | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

You'll also need some tabs and 3/4 in bolts to mount your ram.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll have to ask @XJfreakHO what size he tapped into his box to see what hose/fitting you need to thread into it.

That helps out greatly. Yeah i saw you sold the column...I'm sure I can find another one. Did you mount the ram to your diff cover or to the axle itself? IIRC, you were running 37's? Any issues with the hydro assist? Also, I'm assuming you ran your stock power steering pump as well?

That helps out greatly. Yeah i saw you sold the column...I'm sure I can find another one. Did you mount the ram to your diff cover or to the axle itself? IIRC, you were running 37's? Any issues with the hydro assist? Also, I'm assuming you ran your stock power steering pump as well?

I’m running hydro assist with 39s. Been running the same setup with 36s, 39s, 42s, 44s etc.

Just run a huge cooler. Assist gets hotter than full hydro. My only complaint is that it’s not as fast or powerful as full hydro, but it works and won’t let me turn into something dumb on the trail and ruin components.

Pretty sure my box is tapped 1/4 npt using a 7/16 drill, then went to 1/4-3/8 npt adapters and all 3/8 hoses and all. My ram is mounted to the axle above the tube near the leaf perch on driver side, and mounted to tie rod above the diff on pass side. I’m running hi steer/ crossover on my 60.

@Mac5005, thanks for the info. Right now I have Branik Hi-steer arms and it looks like I could easily run a hi-steer/crossover on my D44. I also see Barnes sells the Y Link steering kit as well. I would like to think that the crossover steering would be better as it looks like I have plenty of room to mount everything. I also would like to have the ram mount on the axle instead of the diff cover for maintenance reasons. Do you have any pictures of your mounting setup? While full hydro would be nice for the trail, this will see some road time.

Diff cover to tie rod.
Stock pump
I need a larger cooler, but the small one I have works okay
I'm running 39.5's on H1's which are heavyyyyy
No issues no far.
I would probably get a little shorter line, but at the time I just got something I thought would work. It's works, but has been rubbing on my spring plate and will need to be replaced soon.
I run crossover steering with the ram behind the tie rod so it protects it.

IMG_1098.JPG

...looks like I'm going to have to snake the steering linkage through the driver side header....

a tip...

look into a set of 4.3 headers for an S-10. Most have a big loop for the steering shaft to pass thru same as the S-10 v8 swap headers. This will ease your column routing issues ( i had these in a CJ with a 350 chev with stock steering set up! No mods required at all!) Apparently an S-10 and a CJ steering are routed very similar relative to the engine.

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 244
a tip...

look into a set of 4.3 headers for an S-10. Most have a big loop for the steering shaft to pass thru same as the S-10 v8 swap headers. This will ease your column routing issues ( i had these in a CJ with a 350 chev with stock steering set up! No mods required at all!) Apparently an S-10 and a CJ steering are routed very similar relative to the engine.

View attachment 260567

Thats a great idea and luckily I already have headers installed on the motor with the big loop for the steering shaft to go through. I am getting ready to order my steering setup from Barnes. My hi-steer arms from Branik are drilled at 5/8" for heim joints. Barnes offers a 7/8 TRE HD kit. Is it as simple as drilling out the holes on the arms to accept the bigger TRE? Will I need a GM 1 ton reamer to do this?

Back