Spring Tech

lomodyj

While I sit around waiting for my money tree to bloom, so I can build my axles...I see my springs for the Commando sitting out in my driveway...trying to return to earth (rusting). So, what I would like to do is, Pull them apart, hit them with the wire wheel and shoot them with some rattlecan then put them all back together...any reason NOT to do this? While I've got them apart, I think it would be a good idea to put the poly spacer/pad in at the end of each leaf (some of the originals are still there...just some), but I can't find them anywhere on line...got a source? While I have them apart, anything else I should do (besides new bushings, the pad things and new center pin)?

i would probably leave the poly spacers out......after cleaning them up and painting them i would grease them when putting them back together

If the centering pin is 5/16 you might consider upgrading to 3/8. It will be very hard to drill out the center hole with a conventional bit. Get a 3/8 round mill bastard file and grind three/four sides on the end so that it will fit in a drill. Dip the file in some atf and run the drill in reverse so it doesn't get stuck. Should take less than a minute to cut through and widen the hole.

Be careful disassembling the springs. Lotsa stored energy in them.

Back