Spring Over Axle?? Pros and Cons

ncbeachjeep

I have a 1977 Cj7 currently running spring under with a 4" susp lift and 2" body lift with 35" tires on it, but they are really stuffed under there. I am considering going Spring over Axle to give that extra clearance. Anyone have any experience good or bad?

You will need new springs, unless you like nose bleeds.
Do and SOA with stock springs, or keep what you have, ditch the body lift and break out the sawsall.

lots of things come from the factory as SOA... how would it make it bad on-road??? just keep the overall height reasonable (ie stockish springs) and run with it

HATED the ride I got on my 90 YJ with SPOA with 4"lift springs! Too too tall...was major reason I sold it, hated the ride on road...

Worked like a champ offroad... 2.5"s max or stockers...

Not sure you will like it though, are you really going to get much benefit for all that work? Better off to install TJ rear fender flares/trim metal and save yourself a TON of labor!

Also...you WILL need antiwrap bars on back if you go SPOA...to me I wouldn't do it unless you have some "need" that you have mentioned. Stuffed tires in wheelwells isn't that need!? (Trimming may be the answer there)

Sam

Dude, cut the fenders. My buddy is running 36" swampers on a 77 CJ with 4" springs under the axles that are probably sagged to 3", and probably -0.5" body lift from the rust.

DK

I'm running 38s with stock springs, cut the fenders. Thats too much work just because you don't wanna cut an inch or two. Buy some TJ flares, you won't even be able to tell. Heres a shot of mine with 35s and TJ flares (just bolted on fenders not even cut)...http://community.webshots.com/photo/514209758/1514214714082028501TbzLgi

Then heres a pic of it with 38's and TJ flares(this time I cut the fenders)....http://community.webshots.com/photo/552292225/2578047550082028501Nztrtl

I'm running the same stock springs in both pics, can you tell that I cut 'em??

drkelly said:
Dude, cut the fenders. My buddy is running 36" swampers on a 77 CJ with 4" springs under the axles that are probably sagged to 3", and probably -0.5" body lift from the rust.
DK
:flipoff2: rust is part of my recycling process

NCbeacher, if you still have the stock narrowtrack axles, you'll still be rubbing the front springs when the wheels are cranked.

Like drkelly said, I have 4" springs and no BL. I did a good bit of cutting to get the 35s under it. For the 36"s, it was more like fender elimination :D

Attachments

• IMGP0980_.JPG
    IMGP0980_.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,900
  • IMGP0981_.JPG
    IMGP0981_.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,236
  • IMGP0985 (2)_.JPG
    IMGP0985 (2)_.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 967
Before my Jeep under went the knife and so on, I was running 4 inch lift springs, SPOA, with full widths, and 35 boggers. VERY flexy, scored 1056 on the ramp. Had to build a traction bar(anti-wrap) longer drive shafts, longer brake lines. Drove awesome on the road, and worked well off the road. It was a daily driver. Getting your front with correct caster/camber is key. Mine actually rode better(smoother) spoa than under. Just my experience.

Alright Tony!!! Finally cut off those ugly fenders! Looking good with the 36's.

here's my rig with 4" SUA & 35's & TJ flares
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_6d2008d8.jpg

Now with SOA & 37's.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_d374c507.jpg

Why not try a set of good quality lift shackles? If your dead beat on SOA you may want to look at doing a shackle reversal in the front as well

Josh C said:
Why not try a set of good quality lift shackles? If your dead beat on SOA you may want to look at doing a shackle reversal in the front as well
Even the highest quality shackles machined to the ten thousandth of an inch could fawk up the caster of the front end. Caster is your friend, unless you like the steering wheel dancing in your hands as the Jeep veers uncontrollably all over the road. BTDT, don't go there. :p

I should say, my front end was built for offroad use and done low budget. I probably could have redone it with the higher drag links etc and got a LOT better performance ON road than it had. As some mentioned above, doing it RIGHT will help alot.

As far as not cutting fenders, I feel your pain dude, but the pic above of the CJ with TJ rear flares shows it really doesn't looked like a hack job! Just something to think about.

Again, prob is not really a pressing need to do anything since you already have 35s under it!

Sam

The most you should use is 1/2" lift shackles on the front. On the rear you could use 1.5" lift shackles with no problems. That's what I have had on mine SUA & SOA....same shackles.

Ok, now I am really confused

Thanks guys for all the input. I really don't want to go to SOA, I just want 2-3 more inches of lift but I am considering cutting the fenders now. Any input on the best way to cut the fenders and make them look good?

To fit 35s I used an air cutoff wheel, it took forever. In the above pics fitting the 36s, that is the rocketeer with electric grinder/cutoff wheel making good time. He also had some kind of flanging tool to fold the edges over and make it stiffer. A long lengtht of pipe and the BFH helped massage the inner fenders.

I love mine both on and off. 90 YJ SOA on stock springs 3" BL and 38's. Thinking about loosing the BL though and cutting fenders, but it does just great on road with no problems at all.

Back