Somthing

Got my wheels finished up...

DSCF1659.jpg

DSCF1658.jpg

* Initial thoughts were that flipped pinion offset of 3" would be sufficient for engine clearance were wrong. Will proceed with T100/Tundra shaft plan for 3-4" more pinion offset.
- This will allow for better driveshaft alignment and put both shafts to left side.
- This will also allow for sufficient room for radiator to be on OEM (exhaust) side, Simplifing hose/routing etc. AND placing both heat sources (exhaust and rad.) on same side for easier heat ducting.

* Building new chassis/work stand. Will be using superstut components. Slotted/multi adjustability. will make moving or adjusting components easier than stacking wood and welding metal bars/rods all over as I make small positional changes, where a small change my require moving everything else. I hope my setup can be optimized for the components being used.
- And as an aside, with a more generic and flexible work cart platform I will be able to use it for other projects in the future. and it can be disassembled for easier moving/storing.. I made removable feet that are adjustable.

Its set to have the engine at its lowest point/full stuff. I will start building with it at this point. still figuring out the best position for the seat and stuff, but its getting there..

DSCF1652.jpg

DSCF1653.jpg

DSCF1654.jpg

Are you building that with an Erector Set :popcorn:

JC - Ya I never had a set as a kid and now I get to play with big stuff.. 1/2" bolts !!! Funny you said that I was thinking the same thing last night when I was bolting some stuff together..

Small update -

I bought some parts off a guy on craigslist. He was parting out a 2000 cavi. with a 5 speed. So I was able to fill in the missing parts I needed + a few extras :)
- I got a 2nd complete transaxle - same f23 Getrag but with a Quad 4 bell housing on it. The rear case half and internals are all the same so ill have parts + option for a DOHC engine if i decide i need more HP. (or can go ECOTEC if needed)
- Flywheel, clutch, T/O - mainly for mix/matching and comparing parts to what I have now. I was able to confirm the 2.4quad does come with a 1/2" larger clutch disk.
- Shifters and cables
- Trans mounts
- Pedals and clutch pedal/master and hoses
- I order some KentMoore tools of egay - F23 rebuild tool kit, damn I like that!! I'd bet 1/2 the kit will be usable for every day press/gear work.. The specific tools would have made tearing down my case a tad easier. And a full rebuild will be cake.
- Also got the required shimming tool kit ($20) the tools with a caliper allows you to calculate proper carrier L/R shimming. Its a bull gear so depth isn't an issue just side to side and overall pre-load..
- Also got a GM instructional DVD on doing a rebuild.. $30, id still like a paper manual but seeing it being done is easier to follow than verbiage and black/white drawings. Seeing how much force is used on the tools or slide hammer at various points helps also.

SO what's next
- I need to some links - (either real or mock up) - to start doing some layout. I've got some rough chassis layout in mind but need but I need to see the links moving to finalize any one design. I'm thinking getting the ends/adapters I need and using some conduit like i've seen others do. Help spread the spending out some also..
- I can start laying out my plastic tube for the mock up of the center area. This will let me start seeing how much space I'll have and visualize other things like pedals, fuel tank, etc..

I'm debating on investigating doing some heat treated thiner wall links vs regular stuff.. Need to weigh the pros/cons etc.. Ideally I could find a local heat treater to work with.

Thats it for now..

I'm inspired!! I'm wanting one..LOL
what wheelbase are you gunning for?
School me: with the front third flipped you will be on the drive side of the gears,so if you flip the rear you will need a HP third to be on the drive side also,but it will actually end up as a low pinion???? is this right?

I'm inspired!! I'm wanting one..LOL
what wheelbase are you gunning for?
School me: with the front third flipped you will be on the drive side of the gears,so if you flip the rear you will need a HP third to be on the drive side also,but it will actually end up as a low pinion???? is this right?

this is correct Jim...or you could just run a bigger gearset on the coast side, and hope that it hold together....

Update...

Ok, back on track... Got a motor, trans and t-case that I think will stick around a little bit longer...

I got a little off track from my initial project goals. This setup is where i had started but drifted away doing some cool fansy smancy stuff. These parts are all common easy to find stuff.

I need to figure out what year engine harness and PCM I can run on this engine. The engine is a '97 but I don't want to run a lot of extra junk if i can help it, more/less standalone.

I sold the cavalier motor and some misc parts I had. I'm actually ahead on those parts (for once).

Some pics..
20090913-2.5-Engine 012.jpg

20090913-2.5-Engine 013.jpg

So what motor, tranny, TC is that you are planning on running now? Why the switch from the mid/rear engine transaxle setup to the conventional front engine/TC setup?

jeep 2.5 -> W56 -> Single toy-tcase(4.7s)

why.... cause it was getting quiet, i wasn't getting any poop from you all..

This setup is closer to what I was originally setting out to build.. Plus I'd like to be able to do some of the faster stuff if I feel like it.

Back