Someday CYJ

Trolling for updates

Trolling for updates

Current update til I get back from the Wyoming trip
320914AF-949A-4CE9-83B0-D51AEA509707.jpeg

I suck at CAD and forget to take pictures when working so bear with me. This ain’t a Cat dozer build. It will actually get done someday.

Went to Wyoming on an elk hunt. Hiked and hunted our asses off, got skunked but managed to bring some meat home anyway thanks to awesome friends with landowner tags, drank some beer and brought back some Boggers and 37 Reds for @336wheeler and @Charles Sauder. They scooped me up some H2’s in trade for transport so I have wheels for the 41’s. No pics of that crap but here is a full moon back at camp.

AD813DEA-EAF6-43A7-B596-6B03876B37B7.jpeg

Starting to get going on this again. I love my family but organization isn’t a strong suit so I spent last weekend trying to clean up the shop and get some pallet racking installed. Not being around for a few months between the hunt and a new job did us no favors.

I spent very little time in the shop over the previous months, but what time was was spent was going over the 304, t18, d20 combo. With driveline mounting being my next step before bringing it home to finish out, I wanted it all squared away and done once. In the end I just couldn’t get over its shortcomings. It was honestly in really good shape and clean inside, I just couldn’t get over what I was going to sink into EFI and the absurd cost for a balanced flywheel needed because the OEM one was trashed from barn life before I got it. Then it was still going to be a pretty wheezy 304. It will get shelved for another day.

Willing to take suggestions on the harness/ecu side with the 5.3 and 4L60. It’s going to remain relatively stock and try to utilize the truck accessories as best I can. It should be on the engine stand this weekend so I can start prepping and cleaning it in the coming weeks. Some stuff used may be a little bling for this build but it’s a learning platform for me for the next project once this one is done.

Case is going to be a 3.8 geared Atlas which I need to order soon with the 12 week lead time on them right now.

YJ LS Engine mounts from Dave’s Custom Unlimited.

90% of the thinking is done.
Works with a recommended 1” body lift which the Jeep has already.
Offsets the engine 1” +\- to the driver side to help clear the passenger diff better.
Also comes with a little manual with a few tips and part numbers for things like radiator hoses from Napa that work with the swap.

135073A1-90C0-4DFB-9FA1-534814CEF26C.jpeg

Looking forward to your “cruiser Jeep” with V8, atlas, tons, 41s at the drive-in looking halfway shit-missiled

YJ LS Engine mounts from Dave’s Custom Unlimited.

90% of the thinking is done.
Works with a recommended 1” body lift which the Jeep has already.
Offsets the engine 1” +\- to the driver side to help clear the passenger diff better.
Also comes with a little manual with a few tips and part numbers for things like radiator hoses from Napa that work with the swap.

View attachment 332599
Had you told me you were going to ls swap i would have left the motor mounts on it, hell I would have sold you it with it all still attached haha! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Had you told me you were going to ls swap i would have left the motor mounts on it, hell I would have sold you it with it all still attached haha! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Yeah haha. I thought about that after I started messing with the 5.3 stuff. I was dead set on using that AMC stuff til I nickel and dimed out what I was going to do with it. Hindsight I guess.

Finally got around to the rear spring hangers and have it all tacked in. Looks like someone came into the shop and “borrowed” some of my shackles though so that kept me from finishing it up this week. Going to heavy tack the perches for now to make sure it’s not too far off once the driveline goes in.

Wheelbase is right at 107”.

D4A65AC6-D5BA-4E1F-B079-5243E899F45B.jpeg
FB683278-F982-4338-ADDB-A1C0012980AA.jpeg

Finish welded all of the frame side stuff tonight and added these fish plates from Barnes on the insides of the frame at each frenched mount.
4CD4327B-D404-48E6-9065-C3281695C5B3.jpeg

Then sat it down on its own weight for the first time. Rear pinion angle is eyeballed for now and heavy tacked til the driveline is in.

Ended up 109” WB with the ability to drop it down to 106” with the adjustable perches. 23.5” to the frame as it sits.
FBD899A5-A6D2-428F-B059-F124909E1D4E.jpeg

Heck yeah... You're just now getting to the fun stuff!!
:beer:

I started messing with the steering the other night before I got around to setting the engine and trans. The Astro box works well if I run a Y link style steering with the tie rod in the factory location. Given that the axle has high steer arms. I would prefer to use them at least for crossover. If I can package it all to fit the tie rod up top too, that would be ideal.

72F3DBF7-29CE-40DB-8BD1-5E41E5903CE4.jpeg
D47CBFBD-86B4-4F16-98FC-CCF1183AC3C6.jpeg

Option 1 is rotate the Astro box a few inches and maybe push it back a little to make the tie rod and drag link more parallel. There are some packaging issues with this if I run high steer as the tie rod will probably compress into the box at full bump. Not an issue if I keep it crossover.

Option 2 is run a factory style box pushed forward. This gets the tie rod away from the sector shaft as the suspension compresses. More clearance all around for high steer.

Back