20180430_183308.jpg

26 and a quarter

Actual....26.021 feet

Calculator...27.0417 feet. ==>3.9% over actual

Moi...25.92 feet. ==> .4% under actual.

Like I said...Scooter402 FTMFW. :beer:

Aight...gonna go back in my corner and eat paste again. :lol:

Just a fyi.....
The calculator comes out with the same answer as @Scooter402 when 12.75 is used as the diameter. I am surprised it's that accurate .....

You are a smart dude......

I know there's already been a couple of correct responses to this...one of them cheating, but it's still a win. Let's see how a scientist would approach the problem...

This can obviously be approximated very closely to a spiral. After all, past the first couple wraps, it is a spiral. Attached is a derivation of a formula for arc length, since you specified to show work...

The first formula is a general formula for a spiral, where you begin with a constant (tube diameter) with a factor that increases the radius incrementally with a change in angle rotating about the origin -

r=a+b(theta).

View attachment 267368

The integral above for arc length comes from the integral for the length of a line.

View attachment 267369

Take that oompa loompa crap back to the Chocolate Factory playground. :eek:

tenor.gif

7cadbb3a187175df84daf794bd6d182199db24c0a43b85b90caae6986ae77ab2.jpg
Fuck you smart engineers :flipoff2:

I don't think anyone who solved it is an official engineer.
Define "official engineer" :lol:

There is a chain tire store around here that has recently changed it's name to "Tire Engineers" or something like that. I'm sure everyone there is an official engineer in their own mind.

Define "official engineer" :lol:

There is a chain tire store around here that has recently changed it's name to "Tire Engineers" or something like that. I'm sure everyone there is an official engineer in their own mind.
I had quite a conversation with an engineer from NY city. He said he was an engineer for some tower in ny. I was asking him how long a project like that took, when the expected completion date, does he have other projects inline, etc. His answers didn't really add up. He said it was a full time job, the building was complete, and he was happy there and not looking for other work. After about 10 minutes of me prying, thinking he was full of :poop:, I realized he was a supa. It sounded much cooler to say you were a building engineer for soandso tower in nyc.

I don't think anyone who solved it is an official engineer.
:eek:
We don't need them anyways.
Damn, you caught me again! :D

Yep...he called my bluff. Right now I'm an industrial babysitter (manager). I'm waiting for a replacement for my replacement (the supervisor that works for me will take my chair, gotta find someone for his now), then I can go assume my post here in my current company as a mechanical design engineer.

But by education, I have a B.S. in Physics...you have no idea how many times I've been asked by ENGINEERS how that would apply to the job...then I explain the curriculum, and they say "wow, that actually sounds a lot like my M.E./E.E. degree." I typically respond with "No, actually your degree sounds a lot like a Physics degree...you DO realize that engineering is applied Physics, right?"

I usually get the crooked stare o_O, followed by "Well, uh...I mean...I guess so..."

Me: :shaking:

Okay, off my soap box now. I'll resume my post in the corner. I'm almost out of paste though...anyone got a refill? :lol:

Back