Socket Question

R Q

I got a Chromoly yoke from TMR for my 14 bolt and the hole to fit the socket down into is 1 7/8" and the nut is 1 1/2" so I figure I will grind down a socket to make it work but all seem to have these rounded corners now and if I grind down enough to work, I'll only have 1/16" at the corners of the hex. All of the newer sockets have the rounded corners. The pinion bolt is 1 5/8" corner to corner but so far I can't find an old style 6 point socket that I can grind down.
This is the style that I need

1704756025041.jpeg

And this is the only style I can find to buy and grind down
1704756131475.jpeg

There's a 16th more meat at the corner of the old style socket once I cut it down. SO I'd rather have an 1/8" of meat than 1/16" at these corners.
If anyone close to me has one of the old style ones I'll buy you a new socket and trade you out.
I've been looking online for old style or even non impact 1/2" drive sockets but so far all are the new style.

Will check my stash later... may a good ol' chrome socket in that range :D

Which begs the question: WHY did TMR design a part (guessing the tighter tolerances are to add beef/strength), but in a way that requires an un-obtanium (hard to find) tool to actually install/use?
Is it that they spec'ed the hole size to align with a specific "thinner wall" socket (why not specify that brand?) and that tight fit should keep said thinner wall socket from egging/cracking?
Or is they just dumbasses?

I was at Home Depot buying stuff I didn't need today, and looked at their selection, but it didn't go up to 1-1/2"

any body got a lathe near you?

Back