SO whats this axle?

CasterTroy

Faster'N You
awww.troybaker.com_burb_burb05.jpg

So it's a 14 bolt, but why doesn't it have the center hub that sticks out?

Is this a semi-floating axle?

What makes it "semi-floating"

HOLY CRAP these brake drums are HUGE....why are these drums so huge, and if it's for more surface area for better stopping, why's this thing not stop better than my company F-450 dump pulling a 10,000 lb mini-ex on a trailer with no brakes?

9.5 14 bolt. yes it is semi float. good axle.

also, a ff 14 bolt will bolt right in. i had a 90' burb, and swapped out the rear 9.5 for a 10.5 full float.

semi-float - weight of vehicle supported by axle shaft, which rides on the wheel bearings.

full-float - vehicle weight supported by hubs which ride on wheel bearings, axle shaft carries no weight.

Rich said:
semi-float - weight of vehicle supported by axle shaft, which rides on the wheel bearings.
full-float - vehicle weight supported by hubs which ride on wheel bearings, axle shaft carries no weight.

Also SF has one bearing ( on the shaft ) and a FF has two (inside and outside of the hub )

So whats the difference in a 14 SF 8 lug and 14 bolt SF 6 lug.
Are they the same other then 2 lugs more.
J

hmmm i thought the 14b semi-s were big azz c-clip axles ? I got one under my 2500 (w/ 6lugs) but have never poped one out...
edit: found this one forsal on ebay (.002 sec google search)

Attachments

• 14b c-clip.jpg
    14b c-clip.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 451
C-Clip axles are still SF... they're just retained differently than axles with bearing retainers.

yes i agree on the semi-float = not FF, but so I understand for my benifit, are they both c-clip ?

ok i read the web page, i think the confusion is in that they used whats called the 14b semi in 80s90s on 2500s (7200#) and some 3500s (8600#) IF it was SRW and NOT a CC.. 3500 CC and dually got FF axle. (this was pre Heavy Duty, SuperDuty wars when a 3/4 was just that)

I do know for sure the 7200# was 6 lug, 8600# 8 lug just dont know about the clip vs plate

edit: although i just counted the wheel studs on the ebay pic i posted and it has 8 and uses a c-clip? I think someone needs to pull their axle shaft and settle this...

CasterTroy said:
HOLY CRAP these brake drums are HUGE....why are these drums so huge, and if it's for more surface area for better stopping, why's this thing not stop better than my company F-450 dump pulling a 10,000 lb mini-ex on a trailer with no brakes?

The F-450 has rear disc brakes, which work MUCH better than drum brakes ever thought about.

I may be wrong but, all the semi floaters are c-clip, but still strong. The FF are retained by the plate on the hub. I don't think any of the SF are retained at the axle tube.

upnover said:
I may be wrong but, all the semi floaters are c-clip, but still strong. The FF are retained by the plate on the hub. I don't think any of the SF are retained at the axle tube.

CHIP,
If your wrong Im exactly wrong like you.
I thought all 14 SF were C-Clip
Key word being thought
Everyone Ive ever cared enough to take apart were FF so never put a ton of thought into it though

I've got a full float 14-bolt out of a Chevy truck w/4.10 gears, and another one with 3.73 gears for $100. The 4.10 is out of a one ton single rear wheel, and the 3.73 is out of a 3/4 ton truck.

I'm looking for a full floating 14-bolt with 3.21 or 3.42 gears to go into my Suburban. Does anybody have one for sale, or willing to trade for one of the above rears?

Mike

upnover said:

All SF GM truck axles from 73-87 have the axleshafts retained by C-clips, no exceptions.

In the FF applications, the plate on the outside of the hub is attached directly to the shaft.

Back