Smoky Mountains National Park Camping

Joel

So Maya and I are thinking about going camping somewhere in or near Smoky Mountains National Park and exploring the park during the day. We would prefer a campground that is quiet, peaceful, and serene but not something you have to hike a ways to get to. Any suggestions? Also we wouldn't mind some suggestions on things to check out either. Thanks!

Linville Falls campground. Just off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great place, been there probably 10 times over the years. Get a site on the left as you come in, kind of back in the trees.
The falls is within a short walk, lot's of cool places close by.

We are thinking about the Balsam Mountain campground. Anyone been there?

CYJKrawler said:
Yeah, but it's been a looong time. Creek was COLD and the bears showed at night. A fun time :)

The bears don't bother me but Maya on the other hand may not share those feelings. It looks like a decent campground though. Thanks John!

And why arent you afraid of Bears?

They would think you are yummy, seeing as how you drive a yellow jeep and a yellow Starter hat and a yellow shirt, didnt you know they like honey=yellow

We go to Deep creek campground every year, near Brevard. Great family campground, tubing in the creek (cold but you get used to it) Close to looking glass falls and sliding rock. Only draw back is usually have to get there Thurs or EARLY Friday to get a site if reservations weren't made.

I was looking at Deep Creek as well and then I noticed the elevation of Balsam Mountain. I think I am gonna run Balsam by the Mrs. and see if the bear thing concerns her.

Joel said:
I was looking at Deep Creek as well and then I noticed the elevation of Balsam Mountain. I think I am gonna run Balsam by the Mrs. and see if the bear thing concerns her.
Let me know what you find out we are looking for places to go also. that are not 4x4 related

I live in the area, so I can help anyone out with places to go and things to do. Balsam is not bad but can be crowded this time of year.

919Chief said:
I live in the area, so I can help anyone out with places to go and things to do. Balsam is not bad but can be crowded this time of year.

Some of the reviews I read made it sound like not that many people visit that campground. Hopefully we will get lucky and it won't be that crowded.

Ridgerunner said:
Let me know what you find out we are looking for places to go also. that are not 4x4 related

Will do Carl. I am sure we will have plenty of pics to share afterward as well.

Back