Smoking a Boston Butt

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
So I have had a smoker for a few months and have done some chickens, some ribs, but today was the first time smoking a Boston Butt. For my first time I have to say it turned out great. Just wanted to post up some pics and get some feed back. It was about 5lbs and I kept the temp in the smoker at about 215 and it took almost 10 hours to get the internal temp to 185. I used Apple juice and water in the pan and used hickory wood chunks for the smoke.

What do you think?

With the dry rub about to go in the smoker

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419815230.302633.jpg

In the smoker

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419815268.368248.jpg

About to serve

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419815283.419374.jpg

Seems like a good smoke ring to me

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419815296.218564.jpg

And lots of left overs for sandwiches this week!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419815307.848057.jpg

Smoke ring looks perfect!! I'd say damn fine job sir!! That's about the exact same way I smoke my butts. If you want a stronger smoke flavor try mesquite, its a little too much for me on really long smokes, its hard to go wrong with hickory.

210 is a little low. I dont see the benefit of cooking at 210 or 225, usually I cook at 250 to 275. Faster cook times with the same results. I smoked a brisket flat the other day at 300 and only took 4 hours with the same results as smoking at 250.

I run mine at 275-300 but I also have a pellet smoker so I cheat anyway..... I have also run it up to 350 for hour or 2 then wrap and go to 275....

Well I usually smoke and drink all day, and its not burnt up when i stumble back to it @ 225 or so. Try Smoking-meat.com for some ideas Jeff has some really good smoking recipes, I have tried alot of his. He has a weekly newsletter that has a new recipe every Thurs too.

My temp fluctuates. I get charcoal going and then add my wood for smoke. I usually forget about it for 3 hrs or so and rearrange burnt wood. Add several more charcoal for heat. Forget about for 3 more hrs . open the lid and its still hot w coals nearly out. Pull the bone out and eat. It cooks at 350 initially on first run and then 175 on the second. Prefer lump real charcoal or Kingsford.

Try soaking the wood in water overnight and drip dry for a few hours before adding it to the coals. It will provide long lasting heat and a mellow smoke flavor compared to dry wood that burns faster. I usually use straight charcoal for the first 2-3 hours and put the wood on it when the temp starts to drop and the soaked wood will burn for 4 hours or more. I use a horizontal barrel smoker w the heat on one end/ the meat on the other between the coals and the smokestack.

I've got a 5lb pork sirloin in the freezer I may smoke Saturday. This really makes me want to do it

I've got a 5lb pork sirloin in the freezer I may smoke Saturday. This really makes me want to do it

I pulled a Boston butt out of my freezer today just because of this thread. Gonna smoke it on new years eve so I can eat a sammich while I stuff Christmas trees in a burn barrel. It really is the simple things...

Did about a 9lb Boston Butt on New Year's Eve. I have an Ugly Drum Smoker I built a few years back. I run my pork butts at 275-ish. Take them out at 195*. Wrap in foil and let it sit for a half hour or so.

They basically fall apart when you touch them at that point. 190-200 degrees is where you want to cook it to.

Back