Small Trailer Questions

scarface

OK i have a trailer that is ex military, its bed is 42" wide X 68".

No tag, I know the process for the tag, but do i need it? It has lights and the track lights can be seen from the rear also.

The weight will be less than 500 gross. I am pulling it to the OBX in October.

Here is another catch, I am putting a different axle under it b/c i dont feel like messing with the Military 35's anymore, the new tires are 35's and uncovered completely. Problems here?

From what I understand, it has to have a tag if you have any load in it at all.
Also, I do believe to be completely legal, you have to have fenders covering all of the tire. As you have noticed, there are many trailers out there on the road that don't adhere to that law. Lights are only required if you can not see the tow rig lights from the rear. But, I would put lights on anything I was pulling.

If the trailer can be used to haul items then yes it needs tags..

IE: concrete mixers, pig cookers, RTI Ramps do not need tags or lights if the tail lights can be seen from behind the trailer...

So yes yours will need a tag to be legal..

BRUISER said:
If the trailer can be used to haul items then yes it needs tags..
IE: concrete mixers, pig cookers, RTI Ramps do not need tags or lights if the tail lights can be seen from behind the trailer...
So yes yours will need a tag to be legal..

You do not need lights as you say but that is only for daytime use, you need lights if to be pulled at night is what I was told by DMV.
If anything can be hauled you need tags so even if you carry with nothing on or in it and will never use it loaded on the road you still need tags.
I know people that have ATV trailers to use for hunting and load the ATV in the truck then bumper pull the trailer with nothing in it and still need tags and lights because it is used at night.
Other states may be different and I think the laws can get you.
In TN a few 20 years back pulling my boat no lights and tags needed but I went to Ohio and was stopped and and made to put lights on it if I wanted to move it. Ohio law said ALL trailers must have working lights.
Thank you Duct Tape for holding the Kmart lights on. BTY it is different then the laws like towing two trailers because that trailer was not taged it did not fall under the law of if it I OK in the state it is taged it is ok in all.
Also he said if he wanted he could get me for being unsafe or anything he wanted when I told him it was OK in Tenn. No lights = not using turn or brake lights no reflectors to code and all sort of junk.
I have lifetime tags on most all my trailers for 80$ and never need to worry if they go up, boat went from 15$ to 25$ this year (per year).
JOn

LIFETIME

I was not aware of a lifetime tag. What are the requirements?

LARRY SMITH said:
I was not aware of a lifetime tag. What are the requirements?

Something like 80$ and ask for them when you get your tags next time.
Its nice not having to renew them or put a sticker on them.
jon

MR. GADGET said:
I have lifetime tags on most all my trailers for 80$ and never need to worry if they go up, boat went from 15$ to 25$ this year (per year).
JOn

I just got life time tags on my trailer also..

I did nto know about this the 1st year i got tags so i paid the $20 bucks and now paid the $80..

Mutli year is what it is called when you ask DMV for it..

Back