small tiling job

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
I'm looking for somebody who does tiliing for a relatively small job, a bathtub surround.
i've done a few floors and small countertop, content w/ it but nothing to show off... however doing smaller tiles vertically is another story and thewife will only be happy w/o a shower for a limited time :lol::lol:
To keep it simple, easy and cheap, I can remove all the old surround and mount the backerboard. Just need somebody that can come in and set the tiles.
Debating replacing the tub (w/ one w/ jets) too but I figure that's another issue.
I live in Lewisville.

contact multijeep on here he does tiling for a living, has a side business doing it & does it well

and i think the guy from mocksville on here does general handy man stuff...dont know if laying tiles is covered under general.

***basically, i dont know his name, or what he does....i hope he posts, cause other wise, i suppose my post is just a big waste of bandwidth***

It could be me that your talking about, and if so...Thanks for the mention. However I only do floors and it looks like Ratlabguy needs walls around tub and/or shower. Not really my specialty. I do know a few tile guys that will tile anything, but the ones i know stay very busy. I will pass the word along to them and let you know. Thanks again, Dylan

Thanks Dylan.
Yep, this is for the walls around the tub. I'm not real confident on getting 'em all nice and flush, being vertical and all. Horizontal (e.g. floors) is a bit different, with gravity working in your favor and all....

Oh and since multisjeep llives > 1:15 drive from here, I kind of doubt it'd be worthwhile to him. But hey i'll give him a shout anyway.

It's not that bad. Whitney and her sister did most of the backsplash in our kitchen. I cut the complicated tiles, but it's not hard to get everything straight. Come by and check it out this week if you want.

It's not that bad. Whitney and her sister did most of the backsplash in our kitchen. I cut the complicated tiles, but it's not hard to get everything straight. Come by and check it out this week if you want.

Damn we should have had thsi discussion last night when I was over there.

Yeah, its really not hard to do, I just gotta draw the line somewhere. Im short, so the floors are just the right height!

Go to Home Depot one Saturday morning when they are doing the lessons :D or get tiling book. It's not that bad to do.

did you buy the sheets of tile, or small individual tiles?

Don't have the tiles yet. We'll probably go w/ the standrad 4" tiles, maybe w/ a strip/row of decorative ones around mid-height. The little 1" guys in sheets cool (and pricy!), but none too easy to get all level and even. Did some of those in a countertop for the MIL a few weeks ago.
Haha, I already did the HD class thing with much reading, before I did my first floor job. I know it's not rocket surgery or anything, just takes a bit of patience/skill to keep them all level and in place when vertical.
My bigger concern is w/ the good job/time tradeoff. Once I start this project - we have no shower until it's done. For me to do it at a level I'd be happy with would probably take longer than my wife would be, er, content with. I am not known for working fast. This is one of those cases where it needs to be done, properly, in a day.

You shouldnt expect it to be done in a day. At least not correctly. You gotta let the thin set dry before you can grout.
Or you should wait anyways.
This is my main gripe about tile jobs....no matter how small, it will take more than one day and more than one trip to the job.
You end up wasting more $ on gas than you can or should recoup. Big jobs are better. There is enough $ to buy gas all month!

yeah, Dylan was the guy i was thinking of. Glad he found his way to the thread. Keep the pointers coming cause im making a walk in shower and getting started next weekend! just got finished with all the demolition...that was the easy part....from here on out, i have no idea what im doin!

You shouldnt expect it to be done in a day. At least not correctly. You gotta let the thin set dry before you can grout.
Or you should wait anyways.
This is my main gripe about tile jobs....no matter how small, it will take more than one day and more than one trip to the job.
You end up wasting more $ on gas than you can or should recoup. Big jobs are better. There is enough $ to buy gas all month!

Sorry, I was actually thinking about that when I posted.
I have done only a few tile jobs myself, and after those few would never expect both set and grout to be done in the same day.
When we tiled the MIL's counter, it was a real small area (15 sq ft) and used a fast-setting mortar, just so the grout could be done same day. Did that only b/c it had to be done before leaving to come home... got up @ crack 'o dawn and set tiles, then did grout much later... and it still bugs me to have done that...
I guess I was thinking a day for setting the tiles, that's the part that seems to really take finess. If the person doing it does not feel it's worthwhile to return just to spend a few hours doing the grout (understandable for above stated reason), I understand and I could probably do that bit too.

Sorry, I was actually thinking about that when I posted.
I have done only a few tile jobs myself, and after those few would never expect both set and grout to be done in the same day.
When we tiled the MIL's counter, it was a real small area (15 sq ft) and used a fast-setting mortar, just so the grout could be done same day. Did that only b/c it had to be done before leaving to come home... got up @ crack 'o dawn and set tiles, then did grout much later... and it still bugs me to have done that...
I guess I was thinking a day for setting the tiles, that's the part that seems to really take finess. If the person doing it does not feel it's worthwhile to return just to spend a few hours doing the grout (understandable for above stated reason), I understand and I could probably do that bit too.

yeah make sure you wait 24 hours before you grout anything. sometimes tiles won't fully bond without the recommended drying time and it can also lead to effluorescence (grout turning white from moisture underneath) if you need any help let me know. if you have it all prep'd theres not much left for just a tub surround. i'm more than happy to trade.

Back