Small 1996 12 Valve Project

NCcummins

NADEAU
I decided I wanted to do a little Cummins project this fall. I picked up the truck I will be using last night. It is a 1996 12 Valve with 240,000. It is a 5spd, regular cab, long bed.

The project started today when I replaced all the fluids. It of course leaks a little oil but that was expected. Transmission was brand new 10,000 miles ago and feels great. The fluid looked even better. The rear end was a little over due, but still was not too bad. It has been a while for the fuel filter and air filter. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

The truck is ROUGH! I wanted it that way. Nothing has been covered up and it is certainly no show vehicle.

Last edited:
I decided I wanted to do a little Cummins project this fall. I picked up the truck I will be using last night. It is a 1996 12 Valve with 240,000. It is a 5spd, regular cab, long bed.

The project started today when I replaced all the fluids. It of course leaks a little oil but that was expected. Transmission was brand new 1,500 miles ago and feels great. The fluid looked even better. The rear end was a little over due, but still was not too bad. It has been a while for the fuel filter and air filter. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

The truck is ROUGH! I wanted it that way. Nothing has been covered up and it is certainly no show vehicle. Here are a few pictures of when I picked it up yesterday:

I'm going to start the body work tomorrow. I have found a donor 1500 that I will be taking parts from including the complete interior, hood, grille, front bumper, rear bumper, and possibly some others. After the body work is finished, it will be painted two tone black and silver. I want it to be a smaller version of a dually I used to own like this:

So, after taking parts from the truck below, the real project will begin:

I plan to have it done in a month or so. It will be black and silver two tone, lowered, Rockstars, new tires, complete RECON lights all the way around, tint, and a kind of nice interior. The motor will pretty much remain bone stock as I love a stock 12 valve! In the end, I want it to look something like below:

Although my bumpers and grille will be painted to match and I will not have stacks and obviously my truck will be silver (bottom) and black (top).

I guess we'll see how it turns out.....
Isnt that benji's truck pictured?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I'd like to have a reg cab dually to make a sweet ass race truck :D No need to tub it, just toss a single tire under the rear and get to work under the hood!

So what will you use it for? DD?

ai54.photobucket.com_albums_g83_scottiedont04_DUALLY3.jpg

Boogity

^^ I have always loved a dually with a super single!! Looks like a good candidate for a project!

That is my friends Dodge I used to go pick the truck up. He had it for sale for a while but decided to keep it, build the transmission, and repaint it.

DAMN!!! I didn't even think about super single and a "kind of" race truck!! The thing is, I'm trying to stay fairly cheap (I know, that never happens). Rockstars are cheap and I miss my old dually do I'm going with the two tone again. I'll definitely look into a super single though because that would be awesome. I wouldn't think it could be that expensive either. I thought about going with the dually Maverick wheels, but $5,000....I think not. I have the regular Maverick's on my LS1 Silverado. I know EVERYONE hates Rockstars but it was that or a spray painted factory wheel...so I went with the Rockstars.

I hit a gold mine this morning. I ended up taking everything I could use and that was good on the truck. In the process of getting it ready for body work and paint as well. It's nothing special, but it's a fun small project.

Last edited:
Dude, is that an Apache?!

The truck goes in first thing in the morning to be started. I have decided NOT TO DO TWO TONE! Instead, I am going to have the truck one solid color; either WHITE or SILVER. Please, post what color you would think looks best as I am 50/50 on it. I like both a lot.

Silver for sure.

Silver! White gets dingy after a while and is almost as bad as black to keep clean. I think after a few years you'll be happier having gone with silver.

(Ahh, ok I can see now that the body line is wrong for an Apache. Still love those old Chevys though!)

In! I am curious what you paid for it in that condition (PM me if you want). I have been considering doing something very similar, but I'm scared about what I might be getting into. The truck I am looking at is a 1995 12 valve extended cab with auto tranny. The body is in pretty rough shape and there is something wrong with the tranny (I'm assuming rebuild/replace). It's got 220Kish miles.

Keep up the pics!

edit: If you are going to keep it clean, I will vote white with black wheels.

Last edited:
Silver. I owned a white 5.0 for many years.

I guess I'll be hating the white soon haha
White will still look good. I think a white 12V looks classic and a silver 12V looks classy. Neither are bad choices.

Back