sm465 clutch

beastinchevy

was woundering if any body could help me choose a clutch for my sm465.
i'm putting it behind a 383 stroker which is going in my 86 gmc full size pick-up
my friends tell my not to get a heavy duty one but a mid duty. also i still tring to figure the clutch pedal and linkage. one more thing should i use a hydraulic clutch for this setup or something else. :driver:

LET ME KNOWW!
thanks-payne

Centerforce dual friction

CNC-pedal and slave--and make a bracket to mount it.

Works great

I can get you one and mail it to ya

Let me know

chris

Blah - Centerforce is not made for our applications.. it's setup for high RPM stuff. the clamping power isn't all that at low RPM's.

That nice low 6.55 first gear means a regular HD clutch will serve you well without the high pedal effort of a high force pressure plate. (Centerforce keeps a low effort because it doesn't exert much pressure at low RPM's, hence the use of those stupid weights)

Getting the 12" clutch will do you lots better than the regular 11" one, you'll need a 168 tooth flywheel and the associated stuff you need to run that, but the holding power is great.

For my former 465, I got a new (not reman'd) clutch, pressure plate, T/O bearing, and pilot tool for $125 from VatoZone. Flywheel was about $75. Once it was broken in, it was great.

i agree with rich, i used a stock napa 12" clutch for my 465 and never had any issues.

Rich said:
Flywheel was about $75.

Hey Rich - where did you get the flywheel? I have the 12-inch clutch and need a flywheel to match.

Thanks!
Richard

Auto parts place too.. autozone/advance/NAPA, etc...

Back