Should I Remove my Drop In Bed Liner to Clean Under it?

orange150

Well, should I?
2017 F150 work truck retired from a geotechnical engineering firm at 130k miles. It sees a lot of mulch and compost these days.
I do intend to sell this truck in a few years.

B293FE56-B32E-4A9F-8D35-85D15C4E212D.jpeg

yes remove it, clean and dont replace

Well, should I?
2017 F150 work truck retired from a geotechnical engineering firm at 130k miles. It sees a lot of mulch and compost these days.
I do intend to sell this truck in a few years.

View attachment 317120

I would. Warning: I hauled some rocks in mine once. ONCE. Getting them out from under that bedliner was a PIA. Getting them out of the tailgate was a double PIA.

I almost took mine out since they rub paint and can cause rust. Since our trucks are aluminum, I just left it in. I won't have it forever. Not worth spraying a liner in for me.

Hauling mulch, dirt, sand, etc in a pickup bed will rust it out fast as shit. The little bits end up in all kinds of cracks and crevices and hold moisture against the metal.

If that plastic liner has been in there for a long time, there may not be much paint under it.

Hauling mulch, dirt, sand, etc in a pickup bed will rust it out fast as shit. The little bits end up in all kinds of cracks and crevices and hold moisture against the metal.

If that plastic liner has been in there for a long time, there may not be much paint under it.

Same with mine, but they're aluminum thank goodness.... at least for that reason.

When I bought my current truck at the Ford dealer in Fayetteville it had a drop in bed liner that was a $500 dealer added option, I told the salesman I didn’t want it and he said no problem. Did the test drive, talked a few numbers, looked at my xploder trade, offered a fair trade price then I dropped the X plan program on them and they were pissed. Went in to do the deal with sales manager and they tried to mark the truck price up and my trade down. Called bullshit on him and got up and walked out of his office and headed towards my xploder, got almost to my vehicle and he runs up and says okay we can do the original but I can’t remove the bedliner. I said I’m not paying you for something I don’t want and will have to throw away, he says fine I won’t charge you for the liner but I can’t remove it, okay I’ll play his game, got all papers signed, cleaned out my trade and got my tool bag out of it. Made sure everything was done then I pulled the bedliner out in his parking lot and left it in a front row parking spot right in front of his office window.

I pulled the bedliner out in his parking lot and left it in a front row parking spot right in front of his office window.
ANYONE else, and I would call Bullshit

But I know you :lol: That ain't a lie :smokin:

Remove it. If anything get a good spray in bedliner and call it done. Otherwise don’t run anything.

My 98 had a liner in it, but the previous owner had put a soft pad of some sort, under it, to protect the paint. It didn't hold moisture, & it helped. I hauled many loads of dirt, stone & mulch in it. But, I could pick up the back edge, far enough, to occasionally wash it out. No side holes in it, & never got much of anything under it.

There was one in my dodge when I bought, cut that thing up and had the bed linexed. When I put the dually bed on it, came with a liner, i cut that one up (and removed the rat nest under it, as well as had to grind the crap out of the bed to get the rust off) and had the bed linexed.

TL;DR plastic drop in liners are crap, throw it away

I sold my 14 year old bed liner for $50 last month. :D
Agreed. One of my trucks came with one. Sold it on CL for $50-60. Put that towards Line-X. Now it's too pretty to get dirty. So I don't use it as a truck. Circle is complete.

Aluminum still corrodes. Ever seen an explorer or expedition from up North? The lift gate looks like it has leprosy.
Sure, but I'm not spraying mine with salt brine 3 months out of the year. Won't have it long anyway. It IS a PIA though. It might come out for that reason alone one day. Already would have if the tool box wasn't bolted in.

Back