should i go bigger?

92rockgator

i have a lease on a 05 tacoma double cab 2WD that will be running out in april...i am planning on getting a trailer so that i can haul my other toy around when the lease runs out of course i will have the option of buy or leasing a new truck ...if i buy/lease a new truck i would probably go with the tundra but im not sure if i am willing to go with the price invrease of it...my question is this...can my TACOMA double cab pull safely a fullsize trailer 20' with my rig on it?...(the rig is an 86 toy no bed will have exo and 36-38" tires) i know that the rating on the truck is 5000lbs...the thing i have heard is that if air bags were added and a tranny cooler was added that this increases the towing capacity of the truck...have i heard wrong? i love my truck and honestly dont want to have to get a bigger one if i dont have to...besides...i have very low miles on the truck also..22k and was new in april 05...thank you and any help would be appreciated

mike!!

you heard wrong. brakes, suspension, frame, etc. are all things that aren't going to be up to par.

imo, a tacoma has no business towing anything that heavy from a safety and power standpoint. even a tundra is borderline, but would probably be okay with bags and good trailer brakes. maybe a weight distributing hitch too.

imo, a tacoma has no business towing anything that heavy from a safety and power standpoint. even a tundra is borderline, but would probably be okay with bags and good trailer brakes. maybe a weight distributing hitch too.

I wouldn't say a new Tundra is borderline by any means. Just the brakes alone are better than my 1-ton from a few years ago..

I am tired of hearing everybody say " you shouldn't tow anything unless you have a big bad 1ton with trailer brakes and a weight dis. hitch and 15 straps". If you use your head and drive like you have some since, you can tow just about anything with what ever you have. People get in trouble when they think they can drive their truck the same way loaded as they do when it is unloaded. I have a 94 S10 reg cab short bed 2wd that I have towed more with than I can even think of. 2500lb cow trailer with 3000lb live weight, 85 Toy reg cab on 36's on tandem car trailer w/NO trailer brakes, 66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevey IINova Pro street blown big block (took those 2 to ATL and back on 85 at 70+mph never had any problems. You just need to know how to drive your truck w/ it loaded and give yourself room and know what to look out for while on the road.Almost forgot about the 35ft tandem trailer with 250 bales of hay but that was only about 35 or 40 miles that I towed that 1.:flipoff2:

I am tired of hearing everybody say " you shouldn't tow anything unless you have a big bad 1ton with trailer brakes and a weight dis. hitch and 15 straps". If you use your head and drive like you have some since, you can tow just about anything with what ever you have. People get in trouble when they think they can drive their truck the same way loaded as they do when it is unloaded. I have a 94 S10 reg cab short bed 2wd that I have towed more with than I can even think of. 2500lb cow trailer with 3000lb live weight, 85 Toy reg cab on 36's on tandem car trailer w/NO trailer brakes, 66 Chevelle SS396 & 66 Chevey IINova Pro street blown big block (took those 2 to ATL and back on 85 at 70+mph never had any problems. You just need to know how to drive your truck w/ it loaded and give yourself room and know what to look out for while on the road.Almost forgot about the 35ft tandem trailer with 250 bales of hay but that was only about 35 or 40 miles that I towed that 1.:flipoff2:

I have no doubt that everything you have said is the truth.

Key words: "at 70+mph never had any problems."

" If you use your head and drive like you have some since"

Towing that much weight, with an S-10, at that speed, with no trailer brakes, is not using good sense! It's stupid. You DO NOT have the ability to stop it quickly if you need to.

Please let us know when you are going to be doing this. Many here have kids and grand kids, that would love to know so we are not the cushion that gets you stopped when your "never had any problems" runs out

When I first started pulling with my taco I started a similar thread on pirate. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508329

Since then I've pulled to most of the major OHV parks on the east coast. Adding brakes to the second trailer axle made a big difference in stopping power. My tacoma gets it done and in rare situations it's exactly what I'd want. When I'm pulling on a rutted road and need some kind of 4x4 capability or when I'm lost and need to make a u-turn I'm glad to have a small truck and trailer.

Having said that, if I was in your situation I'd take the chance to step up. Your load is heavier than mine too. If you really want to stay small the V8 4Runner is rated for 7500 lbs. That's a possibility. The new tundra is practically a 3/4 ton truck. Actually, if they called it one I can't imagine why anybody would object. It has the brakes, frame, motor, axles etc. to qualify.

I consider my 12' trailer and 3100 lb buggy the most I'd want to tow with a taco. If I had an auto like you do that would be one more thing to worry about.

Yes, you can tow with your Yota, will you be happy with it? I'd say no. I'd be white knuckled and never very relaxed for most of the trip, but that's just me. I like towing with a larger truck that was specifically built to tow more weight. That way I can sit back, set cruise on 70-75 , listen to some tunes and cruise for hours not worrying about killing my truck or another driver.

Wasn't there a big discussion on Pirate in the past 12 months about the liability and illegalness of towing over the rated capacity of the truck? In other words if you know your truck (or don't know but should) has a max tow capacity of 5,000lbs. and you tow 7,000lbs and hit somebody you could end up in a hellavu bad situation for towing above the rated capability of the vehicle.

You just need to know how to drive your truck w/ it loaded and give yourself room and know what to look out for while on the road.

Bull :poop:.

The reason you want something in reserve is for things that you CAN'T plan for, things that suddenly take away all that room..

I had my trailer brakes not work one time, and even with my 1-ton, it certainly got my attention QUICK. towing with your little 1/4 ton, that's just plain stupid, irresponsible, selfish, and dangerous.

Just because you can actually get the load to move, does NOT mean "it can tow it"

"I like towing with a larger truck that was specifically built to tow more weight."

Not everyone can afford to go buy some big high dollar ( or cheap old big) truck to tow with and sit back and listen to some tunes. We have to do things the hard way or make due with what we have. I am not telling everybody that you should go buy a Chevy Luv or Dodge D50 to pull you 2500lb trailer with your 4000lb trail toy to the mountians and back. I am just saying that you do not have to have some big over rated 1 ton or 1 1/2 ton truck to get the job done safely. Besides while you sitting back relaxing in the AC, listening to the latest from Brittany Spears with 8 to 10 thousand pounds dragging along behind you and the unexpexted happens, the biggest truck you can get on the roads is not going to help you. You might get it stopped alittle quicker but if your to relaxed you might just run the heck all over someones grandmother , who is tring to save money in her little _________ (whatever little car you wish). I am not saying that its the safest but it can be done safely.

Besides all NEW 1/2 ton trucks are rated for over 8 to 9 thousand lbs and that is more than enough for any trail toy under 5000lbs so a Tundra or a Titan (or any of the big 3) would be more than enough.

and the S10 was rated as a 1/2 ton truck.

I am tired of hearing everybody say " you shouldn't tow anything unless you have a big bad 1ton with trailer brakes and a weight dis. hitch and 15 straps".
yeah? well i'm tired of people like you thinking they're the only person on the road, and endangering mine and others lives just because they're lazy, want to save a few bucks, or brag about how they pulled 20k lbs. with a compact truck.

Not everyone can afford to go buy some big high dollar ( or cheap old big) truck to tow with and sit back and listen to some tunes. We have to do things the hard way or make due with what we have.
give me a break. anyone that can afford a truck at all can afford one that's capable of towing their load safely. if you just don't want to have a bigger truck, then you need to stay the hell off the road. is it really worth your life or other people's to have that kind of attitude?

bottom line, it doesn't matter how good of a driver you are, how careful you plan your moves, how much distance, or anything. there's going to be that situation that's beyond your control, and having an under rated tow vehicle is going to cost you.

I don't have a high dollar tow rig. It.s a 29 yr old E-250 van!
with big brakes!

I towed once with a J-10 truck. Everyone knows it's a heavy truck. trailer brakes failed once and pushed me thru a stop light. Very scary, and I was lucky. The driver I should have hit was watching me and held back allowing me go slide through.
Towing is just not what it can pull. Towing it what it can pull and stop. Trailer brakes are a must.

"I like towing with a larger truck that was specifically built to tow more weight."
Not everyone can afford to go buy some big high dollar ( or cheap old big) truck to tow with and sit back and listen to some tunes.

I've sold 3 CTD trucks in the last couple of years (2 98's and a 96) all for less than 6 grand, a helluva lot less than a double cab Yota. If you want to play you got to pay, otherwise build a steetable rig. You can also buy an older gasser 3/4 or 1 ton truck for next to nothing, but keep towing with less than enough and ask yourself if you saving money when something goes wrong.

I dont care how good you plan, when soccer mom pulls out in front of you on a 2 lane and their is a car coming in the other lane and a 100 ft drop off to the right and you see the fear in the 3 year old standing in the back seat's eyes then you will never tow with your set up again.

I know it happened to me.
Its meant almost no wheeling in the last 2 years, since I sold my F250, bu I wont put some childs blood on my hands, Ill leave that to you

its people that try to reinvent the wheel that get in trouble. if you play with fire your going to get burnt. there are alot of cool tow rigs for cheap, be creative. the manufacture has ratings for a reason.

First of all a 3 year old should not be standing in a moving car truck or even soccer moms mini van. I make all my kids atleast sit down.
Sec. the S10 has a tow rating of 5000lbs my truck and trailer does not weigh over 5000lbs.
Third I wish I was the only person on the road, it would make my drive to and from work alot easier.
And last I will be leaving out Sat morning w/truck in tow coming to a town near you.

First of all a 3 year old should not be standing in a moving car truck or even soccer moms mini van. I make all my kids atleast sit down.
Sec. the S10 has a tow rating of 5000lbs my truck and trailer does not weigh over 5000lbs.
Third I wish I was the only person on the road, it would make my drive to and from work alot easier.
And last I will be leaving out Sat morning w/truck in tow coming to a town near you.
Pet peeve of mine. Todays' tow ratings are BOGUS. They are sales gimmicks. Most experts agree that going no higher than about 75-80% of a manufacturer's "rated" tow capacity is what everyone should do.
Just because an S10 is "rated" at 5000lbs does NOT mean it can actually TOW that much....and that's assuming the 1994 S-10 in your profile is even rated that high to begin with.
You need to do the math before you tow. A tow rating is based on the most BASE model available, with NO payload in the truck, almost NO gas in the tank, and either nobody or a 150lb weenie as driver.
Every single option that is added also takes away from both the payload of the truck and the towing capacity.
So, figure it up this way: There are 3 weights you can't exceed: GVWR, GCVWR, and gross trailer weight. Exceeding any of them puts you over even the factory's bogus limit.
Weigh your truck. Full tank, nobody in it, no gear or other cargo.

Look at your GVWR...the gross weight of the truck. Sticker in the driver's door, usually. That's the MOST it's EVER allowed to weigh. Now, add your weight, the weight of anything you're going to put in the bed, the weight of your passengers, a full tank of gas,
etc.

NOW...weigh your trailer, loaded. Also get the tongue weight.
Add the tongue weight of the trailer to the truck's weight.
Dollars to doughnuts says that if that trailer is even close to the rated tow capacity, the tongue weight puts the truck itself over its own payload. A good rule of thumb is, tongue weight should be 10% of the total trailer weight. So a 5000lb trailer has approximately 500lbs of tongue weight.

NOW...look at that door sticker again, or your owner's manual, and get the GCVWR. That's Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. How much the total of the truck and trailer together are allowed to weigh. Add your fully loaded trailer to your fully loaded (as you drive it) truck and see what you get.
Every pound you put in the truck takes away from what it can tow. On trucks rated ridiculously highly like what you claim yours is, the towing capacity is eaten away very fast.
Basically, no truck that's rated really high like that can actually tow that much in the real world...unless you buy the absolute base model, and figure out how to run it with no gas in the tank, a midget driver, no cargo and no tongue weight.
If you regularly overload your truck and drive it like you say you do, then as others have said, I hope you are never near my family or anyone else's when your luck runs out. They have write ups in the paper every week about other idiots that do the exact same thing and kill or injure people.

What's your truck's payload, about 1200lbs, max?(if even that) So your average person is 180lbs or so. You and your buddy are 360lbs together. If you're big dude(s) that's even more to add.
20 gallons of gas is about 120lbs. So that's 480lbs towards maxing out that payload already.
4000lb trailer has probably 400lbs tongue. That counts, too.

So that's 880lbs and you haven't even loaded your tools or another person or tow up, yet. Not to mention that's 880lbs taken AWAY from your rated tow capacity, so that is down to approximately 4120lbs your truck can tow...how much does that truck/trailer weigh again, loaded?

Better go so some scales and you're going to be in for a big surprise if you are honest about all the weights.

Not everyone can afford to go buy some big high dollar ( or cheap old big) truck to tow with and sit back and listen to some tunes. .

If you cant afford to play the game, then get out, dont risk mine or my familys life because u cant afford to do shit the right way.

Your ignorance is getting old. stfu while your ahead.

Great post pacfan.. let me add one leeetle item:

All of that is as of the day it rolled off the showroom floor. add in your 14 year old brakes lines and other components that don't get replaced often, leaf spring bushings, etc, etc...

Now s10 guy is gonna come back and say that he's rebuild that big tow beat from the ground up, and it's now a S10Z71HD. :flipoff2:

So Rockgator.. before the thread got jacked, did your question get answered? :lol:

I can speak from experience. I bought a new 01' Tacoma TRD, I didn't buy it planning to tow, but in my head I figured it'd do 'ok' pulling a sami. on a small trailer..

WRONG, did it pull it ? yes did it stop it ? yes could I have done it ? yes

Would I have been safe in anything other than ideal/perfect conditions ? NO

I did several test tows with the zuke as Id be pulling it. On a pretty light 1200# trailer. Total weight lets say 3600# Truck was rated to tow 5000#

I had towed before and had some experience but this was below my margin of safety to tow any sort of distance. I know guys do it all the time, some pulling more weight that that..

I was faced with decision to move on or regear the truck and proceed to beat it everytime I towed.. 5k-6k shifts to maintain any sort of speed in the next gear really helps a truck last..

As mentioned above I also had to ask the question of 'how much was I really into this stuff'

If you want all the creature comforts and be all bling while your towing.... man up and write the big check... But there are plenty of people towing in safe trucks that may be lacking in some areas such as age, mpg, comfort items, etc.. but are also paid for and get you to the trail...

Back to the S10 (4.3 ?)... You can tow a small trailer with say landscaping equipment, furniture, or even a small to mid sized bass boat. Much more than that you're asking for trouble.... Even though I would like to see it uphill...

I've seen several people tow race cars with beefy 1/2 tons. Approx 3000lb car + 4-500 in parts/tools, + weight of trailer. It isn't the best, but it will get you by.

in other words sell your s-10 to a mexican. and buy a real truck

IMHO; towing with an under sized vehicle is asking for trouble. Most everyone has done it (I have) one time or another. Just becuase your neighbor towed a 68 cuda with a datsun regular cab and made it does not mean you will. Stay within your vehicles capabilities. On the extreme occasion of a couple of miles of the trail or down the back road 2 miles or something I could see pushing the vehicles capacity if you want. Personally I ran a driver until I could get my truck and trailer to tow properly with. I have a good set-up but I can promise you I will take my truck over 25-30 MPH until I have my brake controller. My truck has big disks front and rear and stops the package pretty good but I will wait until I get the controller before I go anywhere other than around town slowly. I see your options like this.
1. get the Tundra setup to handle your towing needs.
2. Get a HD truck to handle your towing needs.
3. Get another Tocoma instead of a new F.S. truck and put the extra payment money towards and older truck that can handle your towing needs, using the new or your old tacoma (whichever) as a DD and the FS just to tow.

Either way get a truck that can handle YOUR TOWING NEEDS. Don't worry about what other people are hauling. Weigh your trail rig and roughly 2-3K for a trailer and make sure you can safely tow that.

Just my .02

Well guys and gals the S10 is completely stock only the rear end has been changed it has a blazer rear end with disc brakes and 4.10 gears and a cat back system on it. Thats it. If all of you are worried about the way I tow my stuff i'm guessing that all of you home school your kids because there is no way you would let your kids outside to breath fresh air.Be sure to worry about the drug dealer down the block also.
I can not justify spending any money on a tow rig that I would only tow with maybe once a month and let it sit and rot for the other 350 days in a year. I think that is just wasting money or buying something just to be buying it.Just like guys I work with forking out pretty big money every month for a truck to sit and pull a 4500-5500lb camper 2 weekends out of the year.Then complain about not being able to drive it to work and back because gas or fuel cost to much.
Sat morning I am leaving out at about 6:30-7:00 am and I will be on 40,85,421,109,220,95 and a few other HIGHWAYS so everyone stay home.:flipoff2:

And with that said everyone have a good day and hug your kids when you get home.

Back