Short and light car hauler. Options?

REDLYNER

Mall Crawling Race Rig
Looking for the lightest weight setup I can find that doesn't brake the bank.

Most likely towing a TJ, currently around 95" wheelbase, but at some point will be 98" to 100".

That being said, what are the must haves to keep this light, but without spending the $4k on the aluminum ultra lights?

I assume:

Tandem Axle
One axle with brakes
Wooden deck
How short? Any shorter than 14'?
Possible removal of fendor flares?

Are there certain things I should consider when looking to save weight, but still be safe? Certain type of box frame (thickness), etc?

Super noob questions, but while I am doing my research I thought I would post up here. Also not considering dolly, the purpose is to get the tires off the road.

Thanks!

I had a 6x12 utility trailer that I had hauled several TJs on. It was 1200# angle iron constructed trailer. Eventually added brakes to it. It was a dream to tow cause it weighted nothing. Was short could maneuver super easy...

Thought not the best for a heavy duty trailer I think the angle iron construction WITH the side rails made it light and strong. You could probably get one at 14' and a little wider for some added length.. There are some good treads on PBB in the towing section with many good light weight trailer ideas and concepts. Everything from a single axle single wheel toter to dual wheel single axle setups.

If I find a link I'll post it..

Get at least 16 foot so it is versitile. Steel is lighter than wood and even lighter is expanded steel (mesh) just at the wheel area with an open center.

I've got a 16' Hurst trailer with tandem 3500lb axles (brakes on one), wood deck, and fold down ramps. I've never weighed it but it seems really light. I don't even know it's back there when it's empty. A trailer like this one can easily be found for $1000-$1500, maybe less if you really search.

And I agree with Shawn, I definitely wouldn't go shorter than 16'.

Get at least 16 foot so it is versitile. Steel is lighter than wood and even lighter is expanded steel (mesh) just at the wheel area with an open center.

Really? I always assumed steel was heavier. I guess the weight could become a major factor depending on what you are using to tow with.

Personally i wouldn't recommend anything homebuilt or with mobile home axles, while this is highly debatable, I've owned it in the past and wouldn't again.

My trailer I use if about 14' of deck. I haul my xj with 103" WB with out too much of a problem. I wish it was about 2' longer and made of something besides 2"x6" channel and 2"x6" wood decking. I would love to find a $1K - $1200 trailer in decent condition that was about 18' long.

Hmmm. I would assume a steel deck was heavier than a wooden deck. I figured mesh would be lightest, but I haven't found any like that around Charlotte.

I agree about the versatility of the 16'+, just trying to decide what sacrifices I have to make to keep this light. Looking to keep the total package around 5800lbs (tj ~4000lbs and trailer).

Steel has a strength to weight ratio at least twice as high as most woods, so a steel trailer can be built lighter and stronger.

Steel has a strength to weight ratio at least twice as high as most woods, so a steel trailer can be built lighter and stronger.
You damn right! Matt knows his stuff. Some damn engineering degree he has makes me concur. :lol:

May have a pretty good deal on this one.

It is 16' x 6.5', (2) 3500 lb. Axles with 5200 lb. Springs. 1 New Axle & New Electric Brakes.

The guy selling it said it would hold the jeep and he thought the trailer weighed around 1200lbs.

Doesn't that sound a little light? I thought the aluminum featherweights were around 1200lbs?

I figure I could take off the side loader for more weight savings too.

A picture of it is below, any immediate negatives that stand out?

ai.ebayimg.com_08__BjhBHz__Wk___KGrHqIH_E_Es9_KeuqtBLT3TDTKMQ___12.JPG

IIRC most trailers that size are in the 2k lb range. How much is he askn? $1200-1300 would be a good deal in my opinion.

You'll have to do something with the rear gate too. It is too light to handle a vehicle driving over it

Have you looked at Hudson Trailers? I have one and I am real pleased with it. There is a dealer near Monroe, Mint Hill Area. Though the new ones will be $$, This is what I have

ese3t_4.jpg

I tow it with my Expedition and it does very well.

IMO I would buy a used trailer, You can save a ton of money looking at used ones. Mine was $1400 for one that was three years old that sold for $2200 new. Mine is a 16 footer. I would not get one that has rails. The rails can be tough to work with if you have a wider rig in the future. Having both axles with brakes is a huge help. So look for that.

I would avoid rails, personally. I have never heard anyone say they wished the trailer they use to haul their 4x4 had rails. Heard plenty of people talk about cutting them off.

I do want to weld some stake pockets onto mine though, for temporary rails/side.

I would avoid rails, personally. I have never heard anyone say they wished the trailer they use to haul their 4x4 had rails. Heard plenty of people talk about cutting them off.

I want to avoid rails, but I'm not expecting to find a perfect setup in my planned price range, so I don't mind a couple of sacrifices. Couldn't I just cut off the rails? Would that make the trailer weaker? Or really, too weak to hold the TJ?

Just emailed him. Thanks!

IIRC most trailers that size are in the 2k lb range. How much is he askn? $1200-1300 would be a good deal in my opinion.

I could get the one I posted a pic of for $900 to $1100. Not sure on final price, but know it's in that range.

Currently have two options (I don't have to get either, but these are available):

USED:
14' x 6.5'
Tandem axle
Slide out ramps
Open deck
Roughly 1200lbs
No lights (I have some trailer lights already)
Brakes on one axle, but do not work (most likely wiring according to owner).
Has a title
$1000

NEW:
15' x 82"
Tandem axle
Slide out ramps
Open deck
lights
brakes on one axle
Weighs 1300lbs
$2000

Do either of these look like deals of a lifetime? Just ok pricing? I appreciate all of the help, it has allowed me to really narrow down my search.

-Jay

Back