Shop redo and renovation - The Bird's Nest

OK, so this weekend I am going to start the organizing of the inside here. It SHOULD work out. In theory. Of course, as our contractors always tell me at work - it's just lines on paper until we make it fit. :lol:
20160102_112442.jpg

Holy crap, what a weekend. There is so much shit to do here in the shop. I am finding hundreds of dollars worth of crap to sell here, so I am growing quite a pile in the shop which really isn't helping matters.

Here's the before pics.
2017-12-02 14.10.19.jpg

2017-12-02 14.10.22.jpg

2017-12-02 14.10.26.jpg

And here's where I'm at after the weekend. I got rid of all the extra tables, moved in my big workbench, set the desk and hooked up the computer, moved around the fridge/oven/toolboxes. I am slowly working my way across the shop making a massive pile of trash/scrap/for sale parts. This is going to take a long time.
2017-12-02 17.02.05.jpg

No pics, phone was dead when I finished, but got the new attic ladder put up last night. Went with an aluminum 375# capacity one, installed it over out of the way of the cars. Came out great. Now just have to put some more flooring in the attic and I'll have a ton of storage. Then can start moving some stuff up there.

Nice progress! I'm jealous. I've got a shed and a garage that both need cleaning and organizing. That first cleaning step is overwhelming and I keep putting it off.

So last night I didn't get much done (sick wife and kiddo and my parents moved to their new house yesterday) but I did manage to convert two of the 4' fluorescents to LEDs and holy shit are they bright. No more crappy ballasts for me!

So last night I didn't get much done (sick wife and kiddo and my parents moved to their new house yesterday) but I did manage to convert two of the 4' fluorescents to LEDs and holy shit are they bright. No more crappy ballasts for me!

What did you use to convert them?

I hear ya. I converted 2, 8' fluorescent 2 bulb fixtures to LEDs in my garage and the increase in brightness is ridiculous. Now to change out the 4' fixtures in my shed.

I had no idea..... Saw some tubes in Lowes the other day and wondered about them. Now I know!

I had no idea..... Saw some tubes in Lowes the other day and wondered about them. Now I know!

Careful with the ones at Lowe's and HD, they sell the LEDs that require the ballast still. I wanted to ditch that stupid thing all together.

Careful with the ones at Lowe's and HD, they sell the LEDs that require the ballast still. I wanted to ditch that stupid thing all together.
Thanks for the heads up. I'd like to do the same. I read on the instructions it said not for use in totally enclosed luminaries. I'd love to find some for the office I could put in here.

I’m contemplating switching our 8’ over to led, or just get the new high bay led ufo lights, I’m concerned bc of the 16-20’ ceiling height though
Look into the T5HO's before you do LED's at that height. I've heard the light distribution is better and the CRI is really good, plus they are pretty efficient when you compare like for like.

Did you remove the power to one side of the light attachment? Looks like most times you just have only one side get power?
There are different kinds, so just make sure before you install. Mine have the hot on one side, neutral on other.

There are different kinds, so just make sure before you install. Mine have the hot on one side, neutral on other.

Gotcha. I have about 4 different lights in the garage so this should be fun! I ordered the bulbs you posted today. Probably install them week after next when I am off work

Look into the T5HO's before you do LED's at that height. I've heard the light distribution is better and the CRI is really good, plus they are pretty efficient when you compare like for like.
Would 12' be ok with the standard LED's? I looked at lowe's here and they seem to have mainly the LED units that use the ballast.

Would 12' be ok with the standard LED's? I looked at lowe's here and they seem to have mainly the LED units that use the ballast.
I'm really not sure. I was looking into switching my T5HO's over to LED's for energy savings a couple weeks ago when I wrote that post. Mine are mounted in the 16-17ft height range, and seem to work very well at that height, and the energy savings was so small that it would take many years to payoff. Several places I read indicated that the LED's were too directional and would not fill the shop with light as well as the T5HO's, but I didn't really dig into it.

Quick update. The shop is still a disaster inside and these is still stuff sitting in the yard, but I was at least able to get my Trans Am back in the shop. I also set the poles for the lean-to and finished hanging the ledger board so I can start hanging the joists and getting things together for the storage space in the back.

Pic of the posts - the boards connecting the posts to the shop are not the final height, I was just setting them to get them straight with the side of the shop so the lean-to would be square.

Attachments

• 2018-01-21 15.07.49.jpg
    2018-01-21 15.07.49.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 260
I had 2 eight foot LEDs installed on the 12' ceiling when I had a new Garage door installed. Sold by Lowe's, but have to be ordered from the warehouse. I'd say they are Bright! Garage is app. 26'x16'x12'H.

Got a little more work done on the lean-to. I hung four of the main roof joists and then realized that all the rest of the hangers I bought were wrong. I'm going to go exchange them at lunch today and try and hang the remaining 16 joists. Then I just need to run the purlins and drop the roof on it. The only real issue that I have is that on the low side, because of the shitty grading and low ceiling in the shop, is only about 5'9" to the low point. That's really the highest I could get it, so we might dig out around there to get it a little lower and put a little retaining wall or something with a French drain or something to move the water away. That's for another day. I'm sure the first time I whack my face on it I'll decide it is time to change it up.

Attachments

• image-20180130_174758.jpg
    image-20180130_174758.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 220
Back