September 19th 2015 Uwharrie workday.

krzyabncanuck

BLM HOTSHOT
Next workday is coming up fast. Sorry I just got around to posting this up but have been on fires out West.

Will have to check to see if she put out something on email yet.

Well, I'd make it if I didn't need to put a steering gear and pump in my Bronco.

Maybe next work day in October. I might even bring the wife!

I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow, so spent a few hours while I was out there this afternoon picking up trash - I had time to get to all of the trail heads except Cotton Place, as well as Wolfden and Falls Dam end-to-end. It was pretty bad, so I suspect the remaining trails could use a sweep if anyone had time. There's also an abandoned Ford Explorer that's being beat to heck at the bottom of the last hill climb on Dutch John that will need some sort of attention.

Have a great day everyone!

Jonathan

0918151514b.jpg

0918151514a.jpg

I saw that Explorer last Sunday and it had zero damage. Why would someone do that? That's messed up...

Because it is sitting there is why. No other reason. Assclowns. Need to get the tag ran to see if it was stolen and dumped or is just there from being broken down.

There is a way. The people paid to patrol need to patrol, sitting at the double lot on your phone or taking a nap down by the river isn't doing your damn job. Have been coming out there for 8 years now and I am at a loss of what exactly the staff is supposed to be doing out there. Its pathetic and shit like above wouldnt happen if people were doing their job. Its great that clubs adopt trails and fou advocates for the trails but none of those groups can enforce the rules. Sorry if this comes off as being a dick but frankly Im tired of picking up after grown ass men and women, watching people destroy bypasses or ride around them etc. Not to mention when I can fill a trasharoo by myself on a sunday afternoon after there has been an organized clean up the day before something is wrong.

@kryabncanuck let me know if it needs to be recovered sunday.
We turned the tag number into Charles . Need him to run the tags to make sure it has not been reported stolen. From talking to the folks at the Outpost today there were some kids out there that just left it out there. Let's make sure it is done correctly.

There is a way. The people paid to patrol need to patrol, sitting at the double lot on your phone or taking a nap down by the river isn't doing your damn job. Have been coming out there for 8 years now and I am at a loss of what exactly the staff is supposed to be doing out there. Its pathetic and shit like above wouldnt happen if people were doing their job. Its great that clubs adopt trails and fou advocates for the trails but none of those groups can enforce the rules. Sorry if this comes off as being a dick but frankly Im tired of picking up after grown ass men and women, watching people destroy bypasses or ride around them etc. Not to mention when I can fill a trasharoo by myself on a sunday afternoon after there has been an organized clean up the day before something is wrong.
You are correct in everything you say. Not coming off rough at all. We all say the same things. I have been volunteering out there for over 20 years. I am very tired right now with the whole thing but I continue to do what I can while I can. I will do it til I can no more or just get too burned out on it. We can not let them win.

I apologize as that came off as rude. I didn’t mean to shit on this thread, have met you and some of these other guys a few times and no one has been anything other than nice. After re-reading it, it's not very professional and not indicative of the person I am but the bs out there seems to be at an all time high and I guess this instance just tipped me over the edge. Instead of stating or explaining my feelings with tact and logic I took the other trail. Mea Culpa.

I will say this with more tact this time. I am just confused on the way things are dealt with or not dealt with. I am by no means advocating for some tyrannical presence of law enforcement but I think a happy medium should be pretty achievable making things safe for those that use the area in any capacity vs it resembling the island from lord of the flies. I also don’t want to seem like I am trying to single groups of users out either but there are those that play by the rules and those that don’t. And I hate to say this but every time I go to uwharrie I enjoy the trails as if they will be gated off the next weekend like tellico was. Like paragon was. I wish I could be of help but to be honest my attitude at this point in time is piss poor. I am burned out, I wish I had your resolve. I've fought the good fight in several different states against private land owners going back on contracted deals, against the corruption and colossal ineptitude of the usfs and so on. I'm no spokesperson, I'm a head down with a shovel or a trashbag kind of guy but I've done it because I have a passion for my hobby. It's just getting really old watching these posts or seeing the bs that goes on out there and from my perspective no one in the current positions of power want to do anything about it. I'm not in the loop nor want to be but having attended a couple of meetings re uhwarrie and doing my own fact finding it seems like there is a hands off aspect that I find concerning. I am sure I am not the first nor the last that have posed this question but is it the powers that be want it shut down to OHV activity? When an entity sits by and watches people donating their time using donated materials which end up being destroyed and are given ample proof of these activities and nothing is done the only thing I can surmise is someone doesn't give a rats ass about uwharrie. And it's not the men and woman that have given and given and given, pushing the boulder uphill just to watch it roll down and do it all over again. All I can say is an immense thank you to the clubs and individuals that give their time and dollars. These people obviously have taken “caring for the land and serving people” more to heart than others have.

Great post ^^^. My feelings exactly. I could give so much more if I felt it would make a difference...

Here is the same vehicle on Sunday the 13th. We did not notice any damage at this time.

Makes me sick.

exp.jpg

It is very discouraging and I think that everyone who comes to the workdays feels the same frustration. That being said, we really cannot let it get us to the point where we just throw our hands up and say fuck it. I go and volunteer my time and energy, not because I think I am making a permanent repair, but rather because I think I have at least done something to make it better for that moment. Also I bring my son and its a good chance to show him the right way to respect nature and participate in this hobby. Its a small sense of satisfaction, but a sense of satisfaction none the less. Just my two cents.

I have been going to Uwharrie since 1990. Nothing changes. That Explorer is at least the fifth vehicle I know of to be abandoned at the bottom of Dutch John. Dipshits are everywhere and out number the smart people.

I understand everything you say and you can ask my wife if I do not say the same things here and vent to her continually about it. I am at a loss of words most days out there. Well, I really am not, but not a one could be said on here. I am frustrated beyond belief. We all are out there that give a darn. I know we all are. I can see it on other folks faces along with mine. I just try to find new ways to try to help motivate folks to keep coming out. Even have to find ways to motivate myself most times. I am about to the point of seeing it shut down and me helping it shut down. But it will not hurt the folks that are doing wrong as they will just do it other places . And it would just hurt the local businesses and individuals who are out here to do the right thing.

At the last workday, I believe they said that the October workday would be on the 24th so it would not interfere with the Jamboree. I may be mistaken though, hopefully someone else who was there also can confirm this.

Back