School bus

benXJ

I want to buy a school bus and convert it to a camper/rig hauler. I've seen some busses listed on ebay, but there has to be some for sale in Raleigh. Where do I need to look? Thanks

You don't want a school bus. Look for an activity bus or a prison bus. School buses are not geared for highway travel. Check RV sites, you might be able to find one already convertered that you can modify to be what you want.

$2000 school bus & SPEED really don't go in the same sentence :)

If you plan to convert I would speek to your insurance agent. That part was a surprise to me. While price was low it turned out to be a pile of paperwork and pictures to verify my 'RV' was that and not a matress tossed on the floor.

When I was doing research I got on this forum
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/

Very knowledgable bunch and many ppl are private owners etc.. For the most part concensus if most public school busses are under powered. Most newer ones have hour meters but watch older ones that don't.. 2-3 hours or idling with the A/C on, every day, does add up over time...

Not to pimp mine but if it doent sell i will likly cut the back part off and lower the roof line 18"... The construction is pretty simple and stuff is just bolted together..

If you have parking room.. Mine is a great deal..

school buses are either geared, or governed not to go faster than 45 miles an hour. but for a cheap, easy to work with hauler/sleeping area, they would work perfect.

plus, we went on a trip to the Biltmore estate, and on the steep grades going up there, our bus couldnt get up above some where like 25 miles an hour. we were getting passed by everything on the road, cabovers, extended nose petes, cars, old trucks, etc.

i will try and find an activity bus for slightly higher speed. It is highly unlikely that it will see long trips, and if we do drive it, it will be to the beach and back. I've seen a few already converted for sale, but i'd like to do my own.

i will try and find an activity bus for slightly higher speed. It is highly unlikely that it will see long trips, and if we do drive it, it will be to the beach and back. I've seen a few already converted for sale, but i'd like to do my own.

i would think that the speed issue would be easy to fix. A activity bus is a white school bus LOL

I believe many of the Thomas and Bluebirds have 5.9 Cummins with turbo. Removal of the speed gov and a little turning up the wick should do the trick. Not sure if they are intercooled.

:beer:

the newer busses, the ones with the LED taillights and such have turbos, we had one for a substitute bus one time, you could hear the turbo spooling up when she would drive it.

i would think that the speed issue would be easy to fix. A activity bus is a white school bus LOL

There may be some differences in say the axle gearing. Since the yellow ones arent designed for highway speeds, they might have a low ratio. Turning up the motor would just get you to redline quicker, but it would still be ~60MPH. Bigger tires could solve that :huggy:
Its all specualtion...I don't know for sure.

I've seen a few already converted for sale, but i'd like to do my own.

I can understand that, but if you can find a good deal on one then take it. It's one of those things that's far more of a PITA than it seems... We've still got a converted school bus that sits on the ranch in ks now, it used to sit at the NOC. Talk about fawking slow:rolleyes: but it was fun ripping things out of and putting things where we wanted them.
It also attracts thieves/vandals.

An activity bus has a better axle ratio, seating, and 65mph governer instead of the 45mph

I always wanted to get a short school bus and convert it to 4wd, stick in on some rockwells and use it for a tow rig/RV. That way I could tow my trail rig if I wanted to or take it out on the beech and camp in it. Any body ever seen anything like that?

Don't get a school bus, get an old bluebird or thomas charter. Its what my dad and one of his buddies used to do for fun and they always turned out nicer then when they'd convert a school bus.

I'm still doing research, and it looks like the activity bus is the way to go. I may get a gasser too, i Know those and possibly cheaper maintainance. Not sure about that though. If i caould find one for sale I would be all over it. I saw one on Pirate a year or so ago but it was too far away. I want a school bus for the cheaper up front cost. Back half it and the front part a small living area.

I always wanted to get a short school bus and convert it to 4wd, stick in on some rockwells and use it for a tow rig/RV. That way I could tow my trail rig if I wanted to or take it out on the beech and camp in it. Any body ever seen anything like that?

haha he wants to wheel a short bus! :flipoff2:

that would be pretty interesting though, would def turn heads.

I have almost made the decision to do a school bus, but have decided to go with a MDT truck conversion.

check out skoolie.net: http://www.skoolie.net/forum/index.php

Look at buses at Taylor Bus, they have lots over in Knoxville and Kingsport, TN. I was heading towards a Bluebird TC2000. 5.9T, will run 65+. Painted up, look more like a classy RV than a school bus. www.taylorbus.com I understand prices are very negotiable, but no first-hand knowledge.

Also floridachurchbus.com has a good reputation on the skoolie forums.

Back