samurai lift

notaleg13b

I have never done a lift or any type of modifications to a vehicle of any kind. I have no plans for off roading other than the occational hunting or fishing trip and will use my sammie for a daily driver to work. I plan on putting a SPOA lift on my '87 samurai jx. It is stone stock. I plan on 31" mickey thompson baja claw radials and 15x8 rockcrawler wheels on it. My question is this- Are the bolt on lifts by rocky road outfitters and calmini a safe/dependable way to go? Also are the driveshaft spacers that are included with these kits sufficient for the 5 inches of lift with no vibration or damage to
driveshafts? ANd is the z-link steering dependable? I have about 2,000 dollars to spend and after the tire/wheel package I am looking at about 1,200 dollars left for the lift kit. Does anyone know any 4x4 shops in or around fayetteville, nc that can do this install for a reasonable price?

Do yourself a favor and forget about Calmini...thats all I'm gonna sya about that.
Go here - Zuwharrie.com - and read, look , search.
It is a Suzuki specific bbs...lotsa zook stuff (tech).
To answer yer question. The bolt-ons seem to be as good as anything, but i would still wanna weld the perches "just in case".
There are also a lot of different ways to lift a zook.....the search on Zuwharrie is your friend.

Also look in the links section or the vendor section to get some other websites to check out for kits and such.

The kits are pretty much complete...depending on the kit and vendor.
The spacers with the kits will do..I'm SPOA w/ CJ/RUF and about 7.5 " of lift w/ 1 spacer in the rear and 2 in front...I think...been a while since I done it/ looked at it.

My set-up, which I mostly fabbed myself, only had about $200 in parts.

Going w/ 31" tires and 5" lift on a DD means you will almost need steering correction. On a DD a z-link aint gonna cut it. Go with an " over the top" or "over the spring" type of steering.....you be waaaaay better off in the long run.

One more thing...even tho' the Sami is a horsepower monster - ;) - going w/ 31s on a DD also means gearing correction. The most common/easiest/cheapest on a Sami is T-case gears. Hi-range reduction for the 31s for on-road....4 to 1 low for the fun stuff.

I've owned and operated a zook for 19 yrs. email or post for more info.

Matt aka Lizooki

and another thing.....depending on how wide of a tire you get ... you might want to consider special order wheels w/ less backspacing.

easy ain't it?

notaleg13b said:
I have never done a lift or any type of modifications to a vehicle of any kind. I have no plans for off roading other than the occational hunting or fishing trip and will use my sammie for a daily driver to work. I plan on putting a SPOA lift on my '87 samurai jx. It is stone stock. I plan on 31" mickey thompson baja claw radials and 15x8 rockcrawler wheels on it. My question is this- Are the bolt on lifts by rocky road outfitters and calmini a safe/dependable way to go? Also are the driveshaft spacers that are included with these kits sufficient for the 5 inches of lift with no vibration or damage to
driveshafts? ANd is the z-link steering dependable? I have about 2,000 dollars to spend and after the tire/wheel package I am looking at about 1,200 dollars left for the lift kit. Does anyone know any 4x4 shops in or around fayetteville, nc that can do this install for a reasonable price?

Give me a call, I'm in Laurinburg. I see no reason you can't do the spring over for $1200, but there are other things to consider as Lizooki mentioned.

Jed
www.rockjunkie4x4.com
Laurinburg, NC
(910)280-4625

As another alternative, I do have in stock a BDS 4" kit. It replaces all the springs, shocks, and pitman arm. Give me a call if interested, Bob. 910-326-2881

I would buy the spring over stuff from Sky Manufacturing. The perches fit nice and certainly you can find someone to weld them on for you. I would also buy the x-over steering from Sky or Trail Tough..........plain and simple "zlinks suck". You can flip your ubolt plates from left to right and run stock length shocks since this isn't gonna be a rockcrawler. Also, I would consider running 4.62 or 5.13 Tracker/Sidekick gears in the axles. If you're not going on anything extreme the 4.16 tcase might be a waste. I know Jed and he would do a great job for you. Remember though............this is my opinon and you know what they say about that!

Almost forgot brakelines.....go to the junkyard and get some off of a Geo Metro. Front and rears work perfect for a spring over.

You can use stock yj springs and do a spring over. Its cheap and fairly simple to do. Let me know if I can be of any help.

hey let me know if i can be of help....

oh wait i need to pimp my stuff.. :D

back when i had a zuke (I was zukipuke) it had a 3" calmini spring under lift with a small shackle lift. I peaned over the fender lip and could easily clear 31" MTs. A cheep o 4:1 kit covered low range and corrected high range for onroad driving. A properly running 1.3 wont have any problems pushing this setup... I only had a Z-link and some arm-strong steering, I found that but just using a dished steering to give me extra leverage on the wheel.. I carried a spare rag joint just incase... With some birf rings and 2 lockers that thing was maga fun to beat on... Never had so much fun with so little effort.. YMMV

Back