samurai axle swap

Toyota mini truck axles from 79-85 model years and some Jeep YJ leaf springs is a good, cheap, and simple start. Swap kits are available from some suppliers.

Would it be a bad idea to run my soa kit and Sammi leafs on some Toyota axles? Or do I need to swap them as well, first Sammi build so don't have much knowledge about what works best with them. Thanks

I'm still running Samurai axles, but have the YJ leaf springs still in a spring under position. It flexes awesome, and due to still being so low, is extremely stable. I had to cut the body pretty heavily to fit bigger tires though.

I'm running 34" LTB tires. I'm running the stock axle gears (3.73), but 6.5:1 TC gears. Here is a picture:

Side view in new garage.jpg

Drkelly I wheeled with you and that samurai few years back when it still looked pretty stockish lol! Long story short after owning a few really nice sammis and selling them to buy house year or so ago I just recently got a deal on a decent tin top that is all stock. Just got a trail tough yj rear kit w some crown springs (for cheap from a friend) and guess Im going to buy the front kit from them. Also just got a deal on a nice set of 33tsls yesterday. I didnt really plan to go this big already because its going to prob see road more than trails and to haul the wife and mine kayaks...... should I do soa or just leave it spring under and if so whats all the little parts I would need if I did leave it spring under? Just for fun I went down through parts on low range for all the small parts,shaft spacers,brake lines, shock hoops, shocks,ubolts etc etc but also added in cart 6:5 gears, front axles shafts etc which came up to about 1600 pretty fast lol, whats your opinion on what path I should try to go?

Got me some yj springs! Now what about changing the shackels?

A few different vendors sell YJ spring swap kits. I made my own. The typical method of installing YJ springs is to use a spring hanger relocation bracket for the fixed end, then some kind of revolver/extension on the front (I used XJ shackles), and just longer shackles on the rear. You will also need different spring plates since the YJ springs are wider and the stock Sami ones won't fit. The stock Sami u-bolts can be reused.

Springs hangers I got cut on the laser at work:
ai34.photobucket.com_albums_d117_drkelly99_Samurai_Buildup_Suspension_20mods_IMGP1362.jpg

Relocation brkt bolted up:
ai34.photobucket.com_albums_d117_drkelly99_Samurai_Buildup_Suspension_20mods_IMGP1374.jpg

These are YJ heavy duty shackles I used on the rear:
ai34.photobucket.com_albums_d117_drkelly99_Samurai_Buildup_Suspension_20mods_IMGP1376.jpg

Front end (I used stock XJ shackles bolted to the stock frame mount, then some home made H shackles):
ai34.photobucket.com_albums_d117_drkelly99_Samurai_Buildup_Body_20mods_20phase_20II_P1260065.jpg

Drkelly I wheeled with you and that samurai few years back when it still looked pretty stockish lol! Long story short after owning a few really nice sammis and selling them to buy house year or so ago I just recently got a deal on a decent tin top that is all stock. Just got a trail tough yj rear kit w some crown springs (for cheap from a friend) and guess Im going to buy the front kit from them. Also just got a deal on a nice set of 33tsls yesterday. I didnt really plan to go this big already because its going to prob see road more than trails and to haul the wife and mine kayaks...... should I do soa or just leave it spring under and if so whats all the little parts I would need if I did leave it spring under? Just for fun I went down through parts on low range for all the small parts,shaft spacers,brake lines, shock hoops, shocks,ubolts etc etc but also added in cart 6:5 gears, front axles shafts etc which came up to about 1600 pretty fast lol, whats your opinion on what path I should try to go?

The Sami axles (with chromo shafts in the front) will hold up fine as long as you don't keep your foot on the floor while bouncing up hills/obstacles. 33's spring under with YJ's will require a lot of body cutting, but I don't like how high a Sami is when done spring over with YJ's. You are definitetly going to need some kind of gearing with the 33's. I'm running the 6.5:1 TC gears, and love them. They have held up to a TON of abuse, and the gearing is perfect both in high range and low range.

My old build thread:
http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,63129.0.html

Yeah my wifes blue cream puff we had, had stock sammy leafs soa on 33s and 6.5:1 gears and was great on/off road. I dont want to cut this body, trying to keep it clean and simple but able also lol. Steering on mine now is hard to turn(on 235s lol), steering box might be worn out already not sure but even on the wifes w 33s she didnt have power steering and it was fine through uwharrie. Yeah thats what I was worried about as far as the YJ springs go,I dont want real tall but wouldnt mind the better ride and flex.

looks like Im there with ya now southernXJcrawl, got buddy hookin me up with yota axles so looks like im gonna go ahead and set up for them,I know alot of guys just run the stock yota housing w crooked rear driveshaft, anyone else on here run it like that?

Are u going to the jamboree at uwharrie by chance?

No, I've never been, I don't really like crowds, but I should probably go at least once to see what it is all about.

I ran a toyota front double Carden on the rear it did fine in my sami on 36 s on the road and off road I have a old toyota stering arm with a sami arm welded to the top of it do you so can run a stock yota tie rod and sami drag link if anybody wants it found it diging through some parts yesterday it's getto but it works lol

Zuwharrie is next weekend. It would be a great opportunity to see what the zuk guys are running and get some ideas. If I ever had another sammi I would set it up like yours, drkelly. Ive seen your rig at uwharrie a few times and it just works. Low center of gravity is the trick for those little rigs!

I like That setup. Do you have measurements or template for your relocation brackets? also what thickness steel did you choose?

I might be able to find my old CAD files and get some measurements. I will look and report back.
My front relocation brackets are different from the rear ones. I designed them to put the center pin of the YJ springs in the stock Sami position. I then redrilled the spring perches to move the front axle forward and rear axle reward about 1". I used 1/4" thick steel.

Back