Roll cage Suggestions

Jeffncs

Installing a pre-bent 6-point family cage into my early bronco. This one is a sunny day “round town” cruiser. Bronco 2 will be a little more interesting build….

Thinking about adding center spreader bars (blue tape as mock up) for a ceiling mounted stereo head unit. I’m not tying the hoops into the frame but am adding oversized plates under the floor to sandwich the new steel floor panels.

Questions:
Should I add the center spreader bars?
Should I add corner gussets? Flat plate cut to fit? Or use 1.5” 1/8” wall tube at each corner?

Truck goes to paint in a couple weeks so trying to get the cage finalized so I’m not welding over fresh paint.

Thanks!

IMG_1898.jpeg
IMG_1899.jpeg

Edit to add - the side bars have more clearance to the driver than it looks…. Guessing 4-5” diagonal.

Last edited:
Those spreader bars will do almost nothing for strength. If you want to improve the strength, you need to turn those rectangles into triangles

I'd take a good look at where those A/B spreaders are above the doors, too. If you can get them further outboard and away from your head, that would be better. Looks like the further you move them out, the lower they'll be, so your options might be limited unless you bend up a new bar that kicks down at each end.

Something like this:

PXL_20240510_133311043.MP.jpg

Last edited:
No pics, but years ago, on my CJ, I added the front hoop & 2 spreader bars, to the factory roll bar. I see a lot of folks add a CB or radio, in the center, but I've got mine in a center console. I went with the center, because I didn't want to be banging my head on the side bars. This was long before triangles & gussets came into play. I too, am sandwiched to the floor. I've dumped it on both sides, but thankfully never a full roll or more. I also use the center bar to grab & pull / lift my fat ass into the seat, with out tearing up the side bolster! I'd say it's a matter of comfort, your usage as in Trails, & what your safety-comfort is.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

I may skip the center spreader bars and just add triangular gussets to each joint custom fit using plate steel. I may opt for notched tube if I have enough 1.5”.

I mocked up moving the outbound tubes towards the bend - gaps form at the joint but nothing excessive so I’ll likely move them another 1” outward creating even more head-tube clearance.

If this truck ever sees dirt, it’ll be tame trails and no crawling. This is more of a show and go and >zero< off-roading.

Back