Ring gear question

Jason924R

Ok, question for you gear guru's.

Got my new Yukon's from DunksPerformance. I want to see if these are authentic. Here is the number(s) on my 5:29 v6 ring gear:

D5 TV6-529 304. then to the right: 086

why would they not be authentic? If they are not, thats false advertising, sue them and maybe you can get some money to fix your runner :flipoff2:

yukon doesnt make gears. they are the pro-comp of gear mfgrs

what is your question.

grapehead said:
yukon doesnt make gears. they are the pro-comp of gear mfgrs

what is your question.

That comment all depends on what axle/ratio you are talking about. I would go with Genuine or Value Gear being the Procrap of gears but not for all ratios/applications. All mid-low range gear "manufacturers" rebox other gears for some applications. Just depends on what you are dealing with. Yukons are fine for alot of applications that I would not use a Genuine Gear for.

Just my opinion.

Andy

All mid-low range gear "manufacturers" rebox other gears for some applications.

sorry, guess i wasnt clear enough. thats what i meant by procomp, not that yukon gears suck.

Not quite sure what you are after here.

If you are thinking someone switched gears on you. I pretty well doubt it. There is too little for anyone to gain by doing that and too much to loose. If you have that bad of a trust issue with a vendor. I'd say you should use a different vendor.

"More than you wanted to know" follows:

First, there are only so many actual manufacturers of gears. And they re-box each other's products and buy each other out on a regular basis. So the so-and-so gear is a problem - usually seems to fix itself and something else becomes the problem child every couple years.

I have seen "top of the line" gears have noise or breakage problems and "cheap gears" hold up just fine. The brand that works well in a Dana might not be the best in a Ford 9". This month. ;)

A lot of it boils down to another case of Coke vs Pepsi.

Personally I don't care for Genuine Gear. I just don't like "the fit and finish" of them. And it always seems to take me longer to get a pattern I am happy with on them. But, a lot of people (ones who would know) really like them and I can't honestly say I have ever had a problem with them coming back for noise or breakage.

The ones I have seen the most consistant quality time after time. Are genuine Spicer gears and Precision Gears. And from what I am told by my biggest supplier they are made by the same people. I cannot verify this though, but they sure do LOOK like the same gear side by side. Have I had any better performance out of these. Than anything else? Not really.

Bottom line, if you got a name brand gear at a good price - you got a good deal. Period. The rest is up to the installer.

Back