Rig Towing: Straps vs Chains/Binders

fivetreoh

Just wanting some opinions on the best way secure my rig during transport. What are you guys using? You guys using HD ratchet straps or chains and binders? You using one if front and one in rear or one on all 4 corners?

do a searrch here...there is a great article about 5 pages deep with science/physics/anecdotes/and pictures or different methods.

Cant search on my bb or Id do it for you

::beer::

I personally don't use just straps. Chains don't frey. I will use a strap across the body or frame occasionally to keep the body roll to a minimum.

I have been using straps for the past year (only been towing my rig for the past year) and I have already seen some wear on the strps where they connect to the hooks, so I am comtemplating chains and binders now

Straps

One on each corner of the rig.

Chain & binder on each corner. "X" pattern front & rear.

I have been using straps for the past year (only been towing my rig for the past year) and I have already seen some wear on the strps where they connect to the hooks, so I am comtemplating chains and binders now

If using straps, Id use an axle strap hooked to a rathchet.
Straps will fray.
When they do you replace the $10 axle strap. Plus they are not designed to be hooked to themselves like I see lots of folks do.

Oh and FWIW...walk through a NASCAR pit...every enclosed hauler I see has straps not chains holding their rigs down...that changed me from a chain to a strap guy.

If money was no object (and it isnt for them) what would they use with a lot more to lose that I have.

If using straps, Id use an axle strap hooked to a rathchet.
Straps will fray.
When they do you replace the $10 axle strap. Plus they are not designed to be hooked to themselves like I see lots of folks do.

x2, the straps usually also have a thick protective sleeve over them to prevent chaffing.

This is what I have. They are still in excellent shape 4 years later.
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/269/ProPacks

Oh and FWIW...walk through a NASCAR pit...every enclosed hauler I see has straps not chains holding their rigs down...that changed me from a chain to a strap guy.

If money was no object (and it isnt for them) what would they use with a lot more to lose that I have.

I wouldn't be opposed to using straps, but they cost more and are subject to needing replacement more often. I doubt replacement cost is a concern for the NASCAR guys. Plus they probably prefer wrapping a soft strap around their pretty powder coated parts rather than a chain that is going to scar and gouge.

After seeing how many people use both methods with great success, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here.

I guess i wasn't clear in my terms. I use axle straps and then a ratchet strap from there. I dont' have good D-rings yet on my trailer so I am forced to tie down to the trailer itself. This causes an odd angle to the hook so the strap is starting to fray at the hook.

i use a chain and binder on the rear and a strap on the front always worked great for me

sidenote: I seen a guy a uwharrie pull a grand cherokee with pull straps :shaking:

On the strap side, make sure your buying the good ones. I've seen some really flimsy looking ratchet straps that looked like over sized POS garbage. They were the same size but the handles were much lighter and the straps them selves were wide but 1/2 as thick as a normal 'good' strap.

I also use straps with axle straps.

I guess i wasn't clear in my terms. I use axle straps and then a ratchet strap from there. I dont' have good D-rings yet on my trailer so I am forced to tie down to the trailer itself. This causes an odd angle to the hook so the strap is starting to fray at the hook.

Big Clay - I have the same concern and found these...

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/322/UltraPacks

They have a hook on one end to attach to the axle straps and a chain on the other side to attach to the rub rail or stake pocket. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on the set.

Chain & binder on each corner. "X" pattern front & rear.

When you break one chain (and they will break), the rig is effectively not strapped down anymore.

Whatever you use, it should go in a straight line from the trailer to the nearest secure point on the vehicle, preferably radiusing from the center of mass.

When you break one chain (and they will break), the rig is effectively not strapped down anymore.
Whatever you use, it should go in a straight line from the trailer to the nearest secure point on the vehicle, preferably radiusing from the center of mass.

x2 !!!!

I used to do this also and have since stopped. Each strap has some angle on it anyway going out to the D-ring.

Think about it, 1 of the X breaks the other is now loose as its not countered against and the rig can slide/bounce over.

I see exactly your point, going to URE this weekend. I guess I'll re-think my tie down.

My two cents... for what their worth...

One good, heavy chain on rear, running under the axle (both sides) and up/over the diff, anchored to both sides of the trailer. Then, two good quality ratchet straps, one on each side of the front axle (not crossed). It's highly doubtful you can accelerate fast/hard enough to break them, and a vehicle tied down this way will not slide sideways easily. However, if some idiot pulls out in front of you, and you hit him, you don't want whatever is on your trailer coming through your rear window. If you do a head-on at 70 MPH on the Interstate, it won't make much difference if you tied it down with clothesline. The most important trick is to drive with some common sense, and watch out for the idiot that got left out in that department.

My two cents... for what their worth...

One good, heavy chain on rear, running under the axle (both sides) and up/over the diff, anchored to both sides of the trailer. Then, two good quality ratchet straps, one on each side of the front axle (not crossed). It's highly doubtful you can accelerate fast/hard enough to break them, and a vehicle tied down this way will not slide sideways easily. However, if some idiot pulls out in front of you, and you hit him, you don't want whatever is on your trailer coming through your rear window. If you do a head-on at 70 MPH on the Interstate, it won't make much difference if you tied it down with clothesline. The most important trick is to drive with some common sense, and watch out for the idiot that got left out in that department.

IF and its a BIG IF...I was going to use a single chain in the rear I would wrap the axle. The pinion snout really isnt designed for that kind of force.

The strength in either a chain or a strap is in a straight line pull, not in sheer. When you wrap the axle and bad things happen only one link takes a side load and its game over. With two straps or chains the entire strap or chain length has to snap and then the other side would still hold it. In a 75mph head on, a chain wrapping the pinion is the LAST set up I want.

I wouldn't be opposed to using straps, but they cost more and are subject to needing replacement more often.

If the life cycle and replacement cost of a $10 axle strap is your deciding factor you need a new hobby.

Back