Riding Mower with a twist

Update on mine, to give Don some incentive! I'd say Competition, but No way I can complete with Granny's work!
I made a bracket to bolt onto the mower, & the bracket will hold the lift arm. I plan on having the arm, secured with 1 pin, I can take off or on, in a matter of seconds. The bracket will stay on the mower, unless I have a need to remove it. Same with the blade mount, 2 pins will hold it to the tractor frame. Just using scrap I've had laying around, & even a chrome handle. The green steel piece, I had from something! Got just the right offset in it, a hole for the attaching rod, & holes I can attach the chrome piece to. Some more Careful measurements, & lift angles, & it "should" work. Another arm & chain, will connect the handle rod to the blade. It's just for lifting. I don't need down force.

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_181217425.jpg
    IMG_20200416_181217425.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20200416_181401221.jpg
    IMG_20200416_181401221.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20200416_181421206.jpg
    IMG_20200416_181421206.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 238
Don has the incentive... the Doc says NO!... period! Next appointment on 28th... maybe he will turn me loose then. However, I am listening to him carefully. I have had my fill of complications! Doing fine now!

Anyway, I have not touched this thing since last post. To keep up with Rodney I walked out to the garage this morning and took pics of what has been sitting there waiting. One day I will finish it. By the way Rodney, your works looks good, and as an extra, I could not help but notice the extremely nice shoes shown in your 3rd photo! :D

The pics below show the whole works except for a lift handle. The possibility still exists that the mower deck control handle might be used to control the blade, but I am also considering keeping the two separate as I could use the mower for grinding leaves and not have to remove the blade. And... I am thinking at times the blade could come in handy during the leaf roundup. More thought needed on that one. I think the pics are pretty much self explanatory. You may note the lift mechanism can put a little bit of down pressure on the blade. More when I can get at it. :)

Big_Dog-11.jpg Big_Dog-12.jpg Big_Dog-13.jpg Big_Dog-14.jpg

I got a start on putting the handle together, welded it to the cross rod. Welded a chain to the blade, & tacked a lift arm on the rod. I failed Algebra! I've got to relocate the chain, & possibly change the lift arm. I expect there's a formula for arc & travel, but I'm trial & error. :confused:

Don has the incentive... the Doc says NO!... period! Next appointment on 28th... maybe he will turn me loose then. However, I am listening to him carefully. I have had my fill of complications! Doing fine now!

Anyway, I have not touched this thing since last post. To keep up with Rodney I walked out to the garage this morning and took pics of what has been sitting there waiting. One day I will finish it. By the way Rodney, your works looks good, and as an extra, I could not help but notice the extremely nice shoes shown in your 3rd photo! :D

The pics below show the whole works except for a lift handle. The possibility still exists that the mower deck control handle might be used to control the blade, but I am also considering keeping the two separate as I could use the mower for grinding leaves and not have to remove the blade. And... I am thinking at times the blade could come in handy during the leaf roundup. More thought needed on that one. I think the pics are pretty much self explanatory. You may note the lift mechanism can put a little bit of down pressure on the blade. More when I can get at it. :)

View attachment 316262 View attachment 316263 View attachment 316264 View attachment 316265
I know you want to keep it simple, but a lift arm with multiple height settings, similar to deck height, would make it nice for multiple activities vs all up/down

I know you want to keep it simple, but a lift arm with multiple height settings, similar to deck height, would make it nice for multiple activities vs all up/down

Yep...that's exactly where I am going. Planning on cutting a plate with index notches like you would find on old farm machinery. Have to wait at least another week or until Doc turns me loose.

Spent about 4 hours today, on mine. Cut & ground the chain off, & drilled a new hole, in case I need it. Took the blade assembly off to "hopefully" finish it. Mostly worked on the pin for the blade swivel. Was able to reuse the pin, but had to make a new handle. The original setup, was too far gone with rust. Also worked on how I wanted to use & assemble the Main bolt [remember the frozen 1 I had trouble with?]. It holds the blade to the swivel & frame mount. I Was, going to install it, but, I Lost it! Don't you hate that shit! I Just had it, now Where is it? I looked & thought for more than 30 minutes, gave it up for the day, & started to walk out the basement door. I was looking forward to finding it, so I could see how stupid I was! Plus, it's an odd size, that might be hard to find right now. Check the pictures! O, yea, the screw driver is where the lost bolt goes.

Attachments

• IMG_20200421_165926028.jpg
    IMG_20200421_165926028.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20200421_171022638.jpg
    IMG_20200421_171022638.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 199
Maybe Check by the light switch old man :flipoff2:. Oh and I can relate for the record!

Maybe Check by the light switch old man :flipoff2:. Oh and I can relate for the record!

I don't even want to think about that one.... Darlene called me in for lunch one day last week and while were eating she questioned me regarding an odd expression on my face. I told her I had spent the past 15-20 minutes looking for a 7/16" diameter rod about 14"long that had mysteriously sprouted legs and walked away. After we got done and I went back down to my shop there it was sticking its head out of the lathe chuck... and I think it was laughing at me! :confused: :shaking:

@Granny have you thought abut using heims instead of bolts and thru holes, would give the push blade a little bit of articulation ability n uneven ground...Just a thought.

Hi Chip! Yes, I had thought of that, and for the record I already had them. However, for what I am going to use this thing for it would have been overkill. My driveway is level for the most part and all I plan to do with the blade is push small #57 driveway rock. If I ever decided to use heims it would be a fairly easy changeover. :)

I finally got mine "Usable"! Here's a picture of the bolted on lift bracket. It's removable if need be. Then my lift arm & handle, which just slips into the bracket, & secured by a spring clip. Here's the blade, showing a 2 pin mount, Large bolt that I drilled for greasing, orange pin for blade turn, & chain that attaches to lift arm.Still experimenting with length & quick connects. I knew I'd have a problem with the blade turning, as my mount isn't level. So the more I turn the blade, the more Tilt I get. O well! I tried the unit yesterday, smoothing ruts on my Steep section, & cutting the crown in the lower section of driveway. My lift is Still not what I want, so I'll continue experimenting the handle.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_154115894.jpg
    IMG_20200428_154115894.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20200428_154332235.jpg
    IMG_20200428_154332235.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20200428_160932700.jpg
    IMG_20200428_160932700.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20200428_162127654.jpg
    IMG_20200428_162127654.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_20200428_172410617_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200428_172410617_HDR.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20200428_172424604_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200428_172424604_HDR.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 209
Sorry for the delay in keeping up with this. Since all my Docs have released me back into a normal mode of life I have been busy as a rooster in a henhouse, and today was no exception. Anyway, I have tried out my little tractor by grading about half of my driveway. I am happy to say it works great for what it is. Over the past couple weeks I have been operating a good-size industrial Ford and a John Deere... both with loaders. My little guy seems insignificant in comparison, but nonetheless it does what I had hoped it would do... and does it pretty well. Hopefully, around mid-summer I will have a short load of rock brought in to put under the smaller carport next to the house and I will know better how it does with the real loose stuff. I didn't think to have my wife snap a couple pics while I was running it, but here it sits exactly as I used it. I don't expect to be doing many (if any) upgrades on it. I am currently starting to overhaul the mower deck which I have hopes of using in the fall for sucking up leaves.

Big_Dog-15.jpg Big_Dog-16.jpg

Looks good Don. I can't figure the difference in our lift systems. Your's is working better than mine! Seems your lift arm, is Pushing up, where mine is Lifting up. I can't tell by the pictures, how the side arm is rotating. I need to get more "travel", on mine. Something to do with angle & length.

I will try to explain as best as I can.... as a starting point, before welding any arms, I clamped a straight-edge to the pivot point of the blade lift (pic #1). Then put front tires on just enough blocking to allow full drop of blade. Next, attached a magnetic-base protractor to the straight edge and lifted the blade to full upward travel (including slack in lift arm) to determine the position in which to weld the short arm (front). That also gave me an idea as to the length I needed between the pivot and linkage hole to maintain reasonable travel. I kept that same leverage distance when fabricating the arm/handle. I made the arm/handle long intending to cut some off, but found I like it just as it is. Nothing about this is complicated... it's about as basic as as I could make it. Very easy to put on and take off.

I hope this helps! :)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Nice set up Don! I see what you did. I just did it a different way, & have my handle attached directly to the pivot arm. But, I'm not getting enough travel. On down setting, I'm pretty much level, & in lifting it, I can only get 2-3 inches. Too much stroke for the handle. I'd Like for it to drop a couple inches or more, before level, but then I'd never be able to lift it! I'll be changing something, just don't know what yet. I don't have a convenient spot to place a handle, as you have. Too much Body & Flaring, that I'm not sacrificing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_154332235.jpg
    IMG_20200428_154332235.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20190423_124746658_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190423_124746658_HDR.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 184
That looks great. I’m glad someone is using it.
Thank you! And... I appreciate the gift, plus the effort you made toward getting the thing transported to me. Presently working on the deck... it is in rough shape, but I believe I can save it. Had to replace both blade spindles, and weld up many cracks in the metal. If it blows leaves into those plastic containers I will be delighted!!! :bounce: :bounce2:

Nice set up Don! I see what you did. I just did it a different way, & have my handle attached directly to the pivot arm. But, I'm not getting enough travel. On down setting, I'm pretty much level, & in lifting it, I can only get 2-3 inches. Too much stroke for the handle. I'd Like for it to drop a couple inches or more, before level, but then I'd never be able to lift it! I'll be changing something, just don't know what yet. I don't have a convenient spot to place a handle, as you have. Too much Body & Flaring, that I'm not sacrificing.

The travel is all about the length of the arms on your pivots. You can increase the travel by shortening the lever closer to the handle or lengthening the lever closer to the blade. It is a little more complicated since you likely have 3 levers atleast.

The travel is all about the length of the arms on your pivots. You can increase the travel by shortening the lever closer to the handle or lengthening the lever closer to the blade. It is a little more complicated since you likely have 3 levers atleast.
I was Wishing for something Splined, when setting it up, so I could adjust it, but didn't have anything. Tacked it twice, & thinking ok, it's good. Weld it up, & No. Dab-Nab-it! :lol: I got plenty of time to ponder it!

I was Wishing for something Splined, when setting it up, so I could adjust it, but didn't have anything. Tacked it twice, & thinking ok, it's good. Weld it up, & No. Dab-Nab-it! :lol: I got plenty of time to ponder it!

What is your limiting factor? The handle or one of the pivots?

I'd say the arm that attaches by chain, to the blade, is fine. Handle is attached directly to the pivot. So, I don't have enough travel through the handle, by arms reach, from the seat. I'll probably have to do more like Don's handle.

If you are wanting to build one that operates similar to Don's, you can also use a cable between the front pivot and handle. Not as simple, but might be able to get around the "body" on your mower. The weight of the blade should assist in lowering, but a spring could be added if needed to assist it.

Moving on to the next phase... mower deck is completed all but new blades. Replaced both blade spindles, welded numerous cracks and straightened all the bent stuff. A little paint and she looks like a new one. Pics should be self explanatory. Now repairing cracks and breaks in the plastic collecting system. More to come! :popcorn:

Big_Dog-17.jpg Big_Dog-18.jpg Big_Dog-19.jpg Big_Dog-20.jpg

Back