Research participants

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
Just thought I'd pass this along.
For guys in the Winston-Salem area...

There are some studies going on in our lab, looking for subjects.
A couple of hours of your time, get compenated, and (potentially) even lots of cool pictures of your brain.

If selected, it will involve an MRI, so you must not have any metal in your body that wasn't surgically implanted w/in the last 10 years or so. (e.g., bullet,s, BBs, shrapnel, etc - I know you guys!!). Or, known brain trauma/damage.

PM me for more info.

ahem..can we nominate OTHERS for the forementioned scan?

:popcorn:

And by compensation do you mean dinner at Wendys $1 menu or a brand new winch or.... :)

:wheel:

Actually I'd love to have an MRI done, I have been having headaches that nobody can seem to diag.

Tried last summer, but apparently being 6'5" and large build (more than 15" thick at widest point, yes this was a qualification) I cannot have an MRI

But they can CAT scan me to no end. ( Nothing conclusive)

Go figure.

Sounds ike you need to tell them to build a bigger machine :)

We ( Dr's and I ) even tried to use the MRI at the large animal clinic, but, they just reffered us to another hospital, and that was the one with the 15" limit.

I know I'm not the only fat person whose ever needed an MRI

Actually I'd love to have an MRI done, I have been having headaches that nobody can seem to diag.

Tried last summer, but apparently being 6'5" and large build (more than 15" thick at widest point, yes this was a qualification) I cannot have an MRI

Go figure.

Wow, I'm curious, where have you been that they don't have a big enough scanner? Many places now have "large bore" units, advertised as for "children and large adults for added comfort".
We've scanned 300 lb folks before. It's very tight, but doable. I don't know what the bore size is on our research scanner, but can find out.
Unf though that means you *may* have a neurological problem of some kind that *could* cause a problem w/ our data (tracking blood oxygen level). Plus, I have to give the standard disclaimer that this is for research purposes only and not clinical disgnosis... however all scans are also observed by a neuroradiologist "just in case"...

As per specific details, at the exact moment I don't technically have approval from the university for "web advertising" for the partiular study I'm thinking of (others might?), so I have to be careful about what is stated, er, in print. That may change shortly, we'll see.
Lets just say that the standard compensation is considerably more than you'd ever want to spend at Wendy's, and, er, most studies take more than an hour but less than a day total time. If you want more details, PM me.

if i let you guys scan my brain, when can i get it back? i need it for work.

if i let you guys scan my brain, when can i get it back? i need it for work.

Standard government sponsored answer:
4-6 weeks, depending on procesing time.

will we get to keep a picture of our brain? this could come in handy when i need to prove i have one

for that matter, if I only want my head examined, why should it matter if the rest of me fits in the machine or not ?

The CAT scans they performed for my cancer treatments were head to mid chest.

It may be a bit dense, but my head ain't that big. ( ok, so my motorcycle helmet was a XXXL and still needed a bit of spooning to make it comfortable)

Man last year when I had an MRI that machine was small. I am a big guy and it was tight.
but sorry to say kevin you are a little bigger then me and I do not think it would have worked.

We ( Dr's and I ) even tried to use the MRI at the large animal clinic, but, they just reffered us to another hospital, and that was the one with the 15" limit.
I know I'm not the only fat person whose ever needed an MRI

Did you maybe look into NC State Vet hospital?
I know they have all the junk there to deal with horses.
(Not trying to imply anything, but it was a "cozy" fit for my fat ass when I had them done at a normal hospital for knees and shoulders. Granted I was about 60 pounds bigger then than when you saw me, but still)
Although Duke or something should have to have something for larger people. I mean, you're not little, but you aren't crazy huge.

for that matter, if I only want my head examined, why should it matter if the rest of me fits in the machine or not ?
The CAT scans they performed for my cancer treatments were head to mid chest.
It may be a bit dense, but my head ain't that big. ( ok, so my motorcycle helmet was a XXXL and still needed a bit of spooning to make it comfortable)

Think of the MRI magnet as a doughnut that is about maybe 8' outside diamter, and about 3-4 feet deep, on it's side. Strongest part of the feild is in the center of the doughnut and middle of the depth, so whatever part of you body is being imaged, they center it there.
E.g. you'll be sticking in from about the waste up.
No secrets about this, MRIs are a tight fit for many people, and those w/ clausterphobia issues can have problems.

Ok guys here' a bit of info about this particular study.
This is a study of how the brain uses information from different senses (e.g., what you see and hear). and how this is related to differing levels of reading ability.
The study involves some verbal tests done w/ an experinter, doing some discrimination-type tests using a computer, and MRI. cool part os that you'll also do the computer tests IN the MRI.
Enrollment is getting full, so we're now looking for specific demographics and, er, other factor in subjects.
If interested, PM me and I will send my office number to call me.
We will then go through an interview on the phone. Based on that, I or somebody else will call you back IF we can use you in the study. If so, we will do the verbal tests. sfter that, we may (or may not) ask you to do the rest of the study.

Thus far, no participants have any permanent scars (that I know of)...

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson...
"No brain damage.... amage... amage... amage... amage..."

Go figure.

I've never had an MRI, but @ 6'7" 300 lbs, looks like I'm out too....I've had CAT scans out the patooty the last year or two, that was a snug fit.

How long does an MRI take, time in the tube?

thanks!
Doc

I've never had an MRI, but @ 6'7" 300 lbs, looks like I'm out too....I've had CAT scans out the patooty the last year or two, that was a snug fit.
How long does an MRI take, time in the tube?
thanks!
Doc

That depends on the scan. Time "in teh tube" could be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour.
In our case, the time "in" is about 50 minutes. If you go more than an hour, people start getting pretty fidgety. Go figure.

ah, memories of doing medical studies for $$ in college...:lol:

check the data on the mri... it should be NO METAL... even if put here surgically, the magnets are so strong they can rip it out... ever see that house episode where the plate came out of the girls skull in the mri? or how about the story about the O2 tank going flyin b/c a stupid tech left it in the wheelchair.... dead patient!! O2 projectile!:confused:

check the data on the mri... it should be NO METAL... even if put here surgically, the magnets are so strong they can rip it out... ever see that house episode where the plate came out of the girls skull in the mri? or how about the story about the O2 tank going flyin b/c a stupid tech left it in the wheelchair.... dead patient!! O2 projectile!:confused:

Ok, I'm going to try my best to not be a jackass here... but...

*You really should check your facts before posting something liek this*.
First of all, 90% of what you see on house is COMPLETE BS.
My wife has now heard me scream at the TV so many times watching thsi show that she now pre-empts what I'm going to compi nabout before I can get it out of my mouth. They have NEVER had a scene with an MRI that was any where close to accurate. On the same episode where they have that plate rip out, tehy also have people runnin in/out of the room wearing all kinds of metal objects, clipboards, etc. Gee, wonder why that would be a bad idea? If that plate is dangerous, then so is an ferrous metal object.
You can't "turn on" and MRI magnet. The magnetic field is ALWAYS on. The only thing that changes is an RF gradient going between 2 or more fields. So when they slide somebody in there, and everything is OK until they flip a switch - Bullshit. Oh yeah and how they show then looking at image while they're bein gacquired? More bullshit. You have to at least wait until it's done completing the sequence before you can see it.

Ok I'll have to quit on House now before I get into a real tyrade. :beer:

... even if put here surgically, the magnets are so strong they can rip it out...

INCORRECT sir.
99% of surgically implanted objects these days are made of titanium (non-ferrous) or stainless steal (very weakly magnetic). Things do NOT get ripped out of your body. Biggest problem is that they can get warm or a little uncomfortable.
We scan people w/ pins, rods, screws, all kinds of crap in them all the time. Why? Well, first of all you don't put that part in the center of the bore, where the field is strongest - b/c if you try to image the part where the object is, it creates such a big artifact the image is worthless anyway.
Second of all, body tissue is a lot stronger than you'd think. It holds things in place pretty well. Strong enough to not let it get ripped out like that.
Look at the distribution of magnetic field strength line ("Gause lines") from the center, you'll see the strength falls off at a fast non-linear rate.
Simple fact, having an implant does NOT necessarily disqualify you.

Now, we don't scan folks w/ anything close to their heart, blood-flow related, or otherwise critical for life, just in case something were to happen. And for research studies, we are even more picky just because we can be.

The case you speak of, o2 tank, is indeed real. Yes, it becoems a projectile. In a few minutes I'll link some crazy videos that show how strong it is. However one shoudl note that the tank was not bolted down. Had it been properly secured (Note it should *not* have been brought nearby anyway) that accident would have been prevented.

Because of the strength of the field and the portenial dangers, we are all very, very very cautious. At our facility, we don't even allow staff in the room OUTSIDE the scanner room unless they (a) have been safety trained AND certified, or (b) are specifically with somebody else who IS... and that person is held liable for their actions. Tragic accidents like above are very, very rare - but of ocurse it only takes a few to set the standard.

Back