Replacement seat recommendations?

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
Well, after several years, I'm ready to mod the front half of the cage to include seat mounts. The POS seats (have no idea what their from) are shot, cloth, & not conducive to cage mounting, so...

MY REQUIREMENTS:
- Cheap
- any covering except cloth/fabric (tired of soggy @$$ )
- Cheap
- firm, but comfortable enough for all day on the trail
- Cheap
- simple cage mounting, 4 flat mounts prefered
- did I mention Cheap? :D

I like the durability & easy cleaning of plastic racing seats, but my arse *hates* them after a day in the saddle! Even with the padding underneath the quilted covers, they're rude... so I've almost ruled them out... but they do fit the cheap & easy to mount bill...

Since nothing in the past 20 years left the factory with vinyl (outside of trucks), I thought of leather, but seems they're gold lined or something...

Any other suggestions? Prefered junkyard seats? :beer:

plastic racing seats with the matching padded covers, and egg crate cut to fit underneath the cover. i loved them, nice and comfy. and cheap!

you can get "racing" seats on ebay all day long for $200 shipped and they are pleather/vinyl, fairly comfortable, and have good side support... a friend of mine just put some in his buggy and after sitting in them this past weekend, i'll be buying a set as well for my DD

91yota said:
you can get "racing" seats on ebay all day long for $200 shipped and they are pleather/vinyl,

After only 2 hours of searching, I still can't anything close to what you described! Now, I've found them for $200/set *OR* $200 for the shipping, but not a combination of the seats *AND* shipping for 2 bills! :shaking:

Go to a junkyard. They generaly don't sell alot of seats. If you go to one that gets newer stuff in you should have plenty to choose from. Thoose plastic seats suck to sit in all day unless you a little boy. I can't sit in on more than 5 min.

My base model YJ had vinyl seats...just throwing that out there and it was mid 90's..doubt it helps

Look for older Jeep seats, such as CJ's Even if the covers are bad you can get the wet Okole(sp) covers for like $100. Also look at even older Chrysler stuff, had some comfy seats in those. Best bet is to get out and scavenge the bone yards. I found a set of Honda seats( I think) and had them covered with Marine vinyl. Even though they are stitched in the seat, water will puddle.

One thing often over looked on the Okie.. Okole... WTF ever seat covers is that they may be water proof, but that's to keep your seats dry... not your butt. It's Neoprene and the outer layer obsorbs water.

Dave, I know not too many of our Bone yards around here have "newer" stuff, But I'd certainly be up for hitting a couple on a Saturday morning with you! Like I told you I found some seats for $30 at 109-U-pull-it. Dang Comfy! I bet we can find some vinyl/leather out there.

91yota said:
you can get "racing" seats on ebay all day long for $200 shipped and they are pleather/vinyl, fairly comfortable, and have good side support... a friend of mine just put some in his buggy and after sitting in them this past weekend, i'll be buying a set as well for my DD

x2
I just got Corbeau Baja Racing seats shipped to Tx, brand new, for 350 with harness.

Just get some cheap vinyl seats that's your best bet. I think mine came out of a 80's ford van or Bronco with armrests. I took the armrests off though. Mine are spraypainted....

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_eb677802.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_20ba21f8.jpg

Dave I've got a super-cushy set of seats out of a maybe 88 Toyota that was getting junked. You can have them if you want, although they are cloth, so would need a cover...It'll be years before I get around to putting them into anything...let me know.

I don't have any pics, but they are the cushy brown velour, headrests, no tears, padding in good shape, I've got the sliding tracks & all. Basically my roommate had that old car, it finally died, and she was having it scrapped so I just unbolted the frames from the floor. I can measure them tonight if you want, but I don't know that I'll have room to bring them up to the meet n greet this weekend, though.

Back