Removing the track bar from the bracket on the unibody side?

grnsanddemon

Grateful
Anybody got any tips on how to remove the tre end (unibody side) of a track bar from the bracket? This on a 99 XJ D30.

Just trying to remove it, going to install an adjustable track bar. Got the cotter pin and castle nut off, but it is stuck in the bracket.

AZ has a tie rod removal puller, its like a mini pitman arm puller. I'm not sure if it will work on the TB, but it works a lot better on TREs, doesnt destroy the rubber boots. That being said, I don't remember how I got my stock XJ TB from the unibody, I don't remember it being a problem...sorry, but good luck

constructive use of prybar and hammer without removing bracket, i think thats how i've done it in the past.. alternatively, you can pull the bracket and knock out the TB with a hammer..

I spray the top side of the bracket around where the stud is sticking out with PB blaster and let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. Then with the front wheel off smack the bracket around the stud a few times with a good sized hammer. It'll deflect the metal around the stud just enough to pop it right out. Works every time for me. and make sure the other end of the tb is elevated so that the stud of the tre isn't binding in the hole

Got the stud to move down a little with the fork. But I think it might be binding up now. I will try beating on it more tomorrow. Thanks guys.
Quick afternoon projects always end up turning into a couple day project.:shaking:

Oh another way is a big C clamp with the fixed part on top of the stud and movable on the bracket, but watch that it doesnt jump and hit you.. it'll leave a good welt

this one sounds stubborn, i think you need a bigger hammer. j/k mine was stock and had never been removed before but yours is a little older too. def. get it good and soaked with the pbb. and try giving it a few more whacks. I think I had the other end off the axle tube before I removed it from the body side.

I spray the top side of the bracket around where the stud is sticking out with PB blaster and let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. Then with the front wheel off smack the bracket around the stud a few times with a good sized hammer. It'll deflect the metal around the stud just enough to pop it right out. Works every time for me. and make sure the other end of the tb is elevated so that the stud of the tre isn't binding in the hole

X2

This is what I use and it works well

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_31DFItWyhaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They sell them at most Auto Parts stores

Got the stud to move down a little with the fork. But I think it might be binding up now. I will try beating on it more tomorrow. Thanks guys.
Quick afternoon projects always end up turning into a couple day project.:shaking:

Is it still sitting on all 4 tires? Try turning the steering wheel a bit left and right.

After spreading open a cheap a$$ fork tool and buying another good fork tool, still no progress, so I ended up taking off the bracket and popping it out. But now my axle is centered.:bounce2:

Back