References on Down East Off Road in Wison, NC

timbermusic

I have a 76 bronco and wanting some restoration work to be done on it. I am looking for some references on a shop in Wilson, NC called Down East Offroad? Has anyone had any experience with them? Thanks,
Donnie

They have always been a big help to me whenever I have something I cannot handle myself.
I know they have done some resto work on early Broncos before.
Call Robert, BJ, or Brandon.

Robert is the owner, IIRC.

bigassedredjeep knows them better than I do, he may be able to offer a more valuable opinion.

I know they have been big supporters to our sport and CTB.

Talk to Doug..In2jeepin on here, he knows them well and could probably tell you all you need to know about them.

A year or so back I bought a set of 35 tires and needed a spare. I go to them and talk to Brandon. They gave me a used tire and mounted it on my wheel. All this for free. Since i have bought a speedometr gear from them. While I was there they gave me some stock control arms for the TJ (free). Those guys will always get some type of business from me.

I have never said anything ill of anyone or any entity on this board but I feel I must respond to this question.
All I can say about DEO is that my Jeep was out for a season because of them not to mention the $$$ spent.
If you want details, PM me.
I will not call them out on the board since it happened a while ago but I seriously doubt things have changed. IMO if the parts can be bolted on they are your people. I would, and have, driven three-four hours to have things done beyond my skill rather than take a chance on them again. I have not since and will not do any further business with them. There are better more reliable and respected folks to deal with out there.

My $.02

This post started with just "Never Again"

They do certain things well like steering setups and such. I probably wouldn't want them setting up a 4 link? I bought a set of tires from them once with no complaints. I saw alot of nice rigs there. They make em pretty for sure!

Like others have said, they do alot of bolt-on stuff; lifts, tires, gears, etc. Everytime I have needed something, they could match any price I could find...

They do quite a few restorations, engine swaps, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for type of work.

hope this helps,
Brandon

ROX&Mud, I would be interested in the details with your experience. Pm me please.
I have seen and/or been part of restorations on 2 CJ-7's, 2 CJ-8's, many engine conversions, and many bolt ons. They have always turned out above standard fit, finish, and quality. They probably have one of the best body guys in this area doing their work. Some on here who know me will say I am ANAL about fit, finish and quality. I will not settle for less. When I resto-mod my cj-8 they will get it.
That being said, I was probably his first "Real" customer. Back in 95, rebuilding my Scrambler. I still do a lot of business with them. They have always stood behind anything, I MEAN ANYTHING, they have ever done for me.
If you want a full on tube buggy they might not be the right shop. If you want quality before speed on any resto, these are the guys. If you want an engine conversion, I would not hesitate for them to do it.
As my father told me "You can keep most people happy most of the time, but you can't make every body happy all of the time!!"
I have seen many times that Rob has gone above and beyond to satisfy a customer, even when the customer was clearly at fault for the problem. I have told him he was crazy to do what he did to correct it!!
timbermusic, PM me your #, and I will gladly talk to you.

They guy brandon that works in the office is a good guy. He is nice on finding parts, and calling people back.

However, The owner Robert is a complete asshole, and why i refuse to spend ANY money with them, and DEO is only 20mins away. Robert is an arrogant jerk, that acts as if he doesn't care what you want/need, if you dont want to spend $15k + with him on a complete build.

Period.

This is a very long post so I'll say sorry up front. These events occurred about or began about four years ago and took almost an entire year to resolve the aftermath. I have rendered this to the best of my memory. As with all stories there is going to be another side but for most of it simple incompetence or lack of product knowledge, including DEO's own products, on DEO's part was the cause.

IN2JEEPN you are correct every person will have different experiences in any situation. I decided that with your glowing review of DEO's skill and customer care I would detail my final dealings with Robert and DEO.

It all started when I asked Robert his opinion on what longarm lift kit to go with based on my intended use. I added that I was planning on using his d300 flip kit and high steer kit. He recommended a RockKrawler (RK)kit. So, after some reasonable research on the RK kit I ordered up the 7" LA kit from RK and bought the DEO high steer kit, and a DEO d300 and flip kit. So before I go into what went wrong let me start by saying I had done business with DEO before and Robert had seen and worked on my Jeep. Once the RK lift was installed, which some friends and I did, I installed the flip kit into the D300 and proceeded to install the flipped D300 in my Jeep. Upon attempting this I found there was no way I could place the d300 so that the front output would not interfere with the automatic transmission oil pan. Robert never mentioned that a flipped D300 would not work with an automatic nor did his website mention it. As a matter of fact this is what his website says as of today:

Down East Off Road is the exclusive world-wide dealer for the Dana 300 flip kit, featuring the special Dana 300 twin stick shifter.
The Dana 300 Flip Kit has everything you need to take a stock Dana 300 and flip it upside down for use in a Jeep with a driver side output front axle.
# Standard Features: Includes Twin Stick Shifter & Stock Boot
# No Modicfication Needed to the Stock Skid Plate
# 8" Shorter than a Stock N.P. 231
# 4" Shorter than a 231 with a Slip Yoke Eliminator
# Two Different Shifters Available
# Will Work Behind any Transmission with a 23 Spline Output Shaft and 6 Bolt Circular Pattern.
# Will Work with a Clocking Ring but is not needed for Standard Installation
# Will still accept a 4:1 Kit and the Heavy Duty Output Shaft Kit
# Stock Speedo Adapter will be Reused from Your Stock 231
# Vacumn Disconnect Switch (Optional $75)
Order your Dana 300 Flip Kit Today

Notice there is no mention of any possible problems but on the contrary it states it will work behind "ANY" tranny w/a 23 spline output. It will work if you don't mind the case being almost vertical, which is GREAT for ground clearance BTW. Well back to what happened. I contacted Robert and told him it didn't seem to work and I was bringing it to him to figure it out. When I put my Jeep on the trailer to take it down to him I happened to notice that his High Steer Kit conflicted with the RK lift's relocated trackbar mount while under compression. Upon getting the Jeep back down to DEO, Robert informed me after looking over the Jeep that he had never seen a lift designed like RK's, remember he suggested/recommended it. After that unsettling information, Robert thought he could use a clocking ring to achieve the correct T-case position. He later informed me that I had to go back to the original NP(V)231 t-case because the flipped D300 would not work. I will give Robert credit for taking the flipped d300 back and refunding the money I spent on it. Unfortunately, my NP231 had already been sold and I could not source another one at the time and Robert's best solution was a Atlas II. Now, I like the Atlas but DEO could not even install it correctly. They set the shift tower threaded rods wrong and cut them off making it very hard to shift the Atlas, there's no leverage. Robert also informed me they had to use the t-case lowering kit from my previous lift in order to make the Atlas work with my Nth Degree "Tummy Tucker" t-case skid. B.S. I found that with a 1" motor mount lift and adjusting the floor sheet metal slightly, the atlas fits just fine, no thanks to DEO's custom build talents.

DEO's solution to the high steer track bar mount conflict was to fab a custom track bar using the RK track bar and some DOM (I think/hope it was DOM anyway) and do away with the relocation bracket. They were quite impressed with themselves for their fabed up track bar, as expressed by Robert.

Overall in regards to his product recommendations and in house products not working together I'll summarize what Robert said, "All these manufactures and myself don't sit down over a beer at the end of the day to discuss what they and I are building to ensure they will work together". If I called and asked these questions and had not had a prior "in person" relationship with DEO then I might go for his explanation but it still doesn't cover the D300 flip kit not working with a stock Jeep transmission, w/23 spline output BTW.

Anyway at some point during all of this, I really don't remember when, I asked Robert if he could mount the hydraulic ram for my "AGR RockRam" kit to the steering linkage. In their opinion, how they had mounted it when I picked it up, the best place to install the ram was under the tie rod. Now being that this Jeep was going to be heavily used offroad it makes absolutely no sense to install a high steer kit, to help avoid steering failure due to rock/trail damage, and then put a ram assist under it. Call me crazy but this was just stupid for a "professional offroad shop".

I will abridge this part to only concern DEO's contribution to the following problem. After I installed the AGR power steering box I noticed it had a leak at one of the fittings. AGR repaired the crack around the fitting and when I put the PS box back on It would not bleed properly or operate correctly. Again, I enlisted DEO's supposed expertise. DEO installed the repaired box I believe it was four different times, I'd have to check my receipts to remember if it was more, after AGR serviced it to repair a leak from the input seal. DEO's employees "bled the power steering system" and returned my Jeep "ready to go. Unfortunately, they could not bleed the system correctly and if they knew what they were doing they would have caught this. When AGR repaired the original crack they plugged one of the ports on the PS box. The hydraulic ram assist steering could never be bled or work properly and DEO's staff never caught it. For those who don't know here is a link on how to bleed a hydraulic PS kit: http://www.pscmotorsports.com/page.html?chapter=5&id=24
After being monetarily bled to death by DEO on this problem, I called PSC , AGR was of no use by now, and they helped me trouble shoot it. I ultimately found the problem and resolved it, again no thanks to DEO.

Finally, during all of this I had DEO install a ARB in my front axle. I installed a Poisen Spyder rock ring over the diff cover after they did their work. I never broke the seal on the diff cover, all I did was remove the diff bolts and install the ring over and torque accordingly. At this time I was at a point of trail testing my Jeep to find any bugs, which I did. I trailered it to URE, drove from the outpost to Daniel then did Rocky Mtn Loop and back to the outpost. The locker was slow to react on or off. I later found out the copper line was pinched, I wonder how I might have caused that w/out opening the cover(sarcasm). On our way back to the out post the font axle locked up throwing us into the on coming lane. Fortunately no cars were right there. I was able to get it off the road and back on the trailer. I took it back to DEO since IMO whatever the failure was it was theirs. Robert immediately claimed it was my fault since I added the rock ring. Turns out there was no or very little fluid in front diff causing the pinion bearing to fail ruining a new set of gears and bearings. Of course DEO was more than happy to fix it...on my dime since they claim all the fluid leaked out because or the rock ring being installed after the ARB install.

All in all, maybe I should thank Robert and DEO, I certainly learned a lot fixing the problems resulting from their helpful information and professional customer service and I defiantly could not have found a better place to spend my money (again sarcasm).

Rocks and Mud, I really hate that you had to deal with all that with DEO. There are countless stories of the same situations as yours being told by "paying DEO customers" around here. It is absolutely rediculous.

They did a " by the hour " job for me a few years ago on a CJ7 , where they had to pull and refit the engine and trans ( where the PO had mounted a Chevy V8 incorrectly ) , and get it running . I was very pleased with their work . Robert kept me informed during the complete job as to the cost . He always asked if I wanted them to keep going or stop .

well they have done work to my yj, my 06 z71, and a couple of 20 or so guys in the fire depts i know and guys from wilson when i was in school up there, great work any problems they fix... the lift they ordered for my buddy's Z came in red and was supposed to be black, they installed it before realizing this and gave him a free tuner for his ride. bradon and robert are great guys but they will both tell you, let us work on it. not saying anything out of line but i have put a rock ring on my yj, the seal was never broke that i could see, yet when i checked it several weeks later it was dangerously low... i trust them with my stuff and they have been nationally recognized for their high steer kit in several offroad magazines... good luck

This goes back to my first post, if they can bolt it on GREAT, let them do it if you don't have the tools, shop, time, etc...just make sure you check behind them on the important stuff, like is there really diff fluid in the diff. Otherwise, find a shop with a really good recommendation from the good folks on this or other forums. Things are not always going to go "just so" everywhere and being that I was in field service for fifteen years I've been on the other side of the wrench, so to say. I've made promises that I couldn't keep, but I did my absolute best to do every thing in my power to correct the error and never let it happen again, especially for the same customer. I attempted to chronicle how badly my experience had gone with DEO and not imply it was a one time thing.
I never implied that DEO's High Steer kit was not a good product. What I was attempting to bluntly say was that Robert recommended products from another manufacturer, sold me his own products knowing they would be used together without having any idea if they would work together. And then to subsequently half ass a solution, which I failed to mention earlier didn't work very well, and felt all too happy to bill me for something that should have never occurred in the first place. As I said earlier, I might feel different if this were an over the phone thing where I ordered parts from DEO and things didn't go as planned. They were the ones providing product knowledge, parts and service. I did my research on what I was spending my money on but part of that was relying on the man who was supposed to already have the knowledge and skill.
About the rock ring thing, DEO did the ARB install and in the time frame/mileage of the breakage it was unlikely that installing the rock ring caused all the fluid to leak out assuming there was fluid there in the first place. It's just too bad I didn't drive it back to Raleigh from Wilson, then it would have failed before I got to HWY264. IMO, DEO should have stepped up in the name of customer service.

Back