Redarc brake controller

justjeepin86

I just installed a Redarc brake controller on my wife's Sequoia since it's my regular tow rig these days. I had a nice dash mount controller that i used in my QX56, but there really wasn't a place on the dash where it wouldn't be in the way on the yota.

That being said, I'm impressed. The install was actually more of a pain since the box has to be mounted under the dash. But man, it's nice to only have a knob on the dash. I even had a blank space to put it.

20231127_144109.jpg
20231127_144116.jpg

push the knob, as @cranbiz said.

You can also switch it from progressive braking to standard braking like an old school controller. That will be nice for slow moving stuff on gravel and whatnot.
I'm not familiar with the standard and progressive braking difference.
Rather, I'm not sure I know what is the standard way. It just applies the brakes ?

I'm not familiar with the standard and progressive braking difference.
Rather, I'm not sure I know what is the standard way. It just applies the brakes ?
Time delay vs proportional. Years ago almost all brake controllers on the market were time delay. You set a max level and it slowly ramps up braking force until that max when you push the brake.

Now there are many affordable proportional options. You still set a max, but they use a weight/pendulum to determine how hard you're applying the brakes and the trailer brakes proportionally. Much smoother operation.

This one doesn't use a pendulum like others. It can be mounted in any orientation. It obviously has a sensor that determines direction and braking. When you drive the first time, it learns is orientation from braking. It changes slowly from green light to blue as you stop multiple times. When it's solid blue, it's ready for progressive braking.

@Bebop
Ultimately, the harder you brake, the harder it applies the trailer brakes.

Added to the list of other things I need to Google....

I love my "cheap" Hopkins proportional brake controller. Works great and was only 100 bucks. There just isn't much room to do a clean install in the 01-07 GM trucks that still allows it to be readily accessible. This setup seems like a pretty great idea!

Time delay vs proportional. Years ago almost all brake controllers on the market were time delay. You set a max level and it slowly ramps up braking force until that max when you push the brake.

Now there are many affordable proportional options. You still set a max, but they use a weight/pendulum to determine how hard you're applying the brakes and the trailer brakes proportionally. Much smoother operation.
10-4
I guess I'm only used to the old school stuff. $30 brake controler from ebay FTW lol
I've used some proportional ones but only integrated OEM stuff.

Thanks for the lesson :)

Added to the list of other things I need to Google....

I love my "cheap" Hopkins proportional brake controller. Works great and was only 100 bucks. There just isn't much room to do a clean install in the 01-07 GM trucks that still allows it to be readily accessible. This setup seems like a pretty great idea!
It really is a nice setup.

Funny thing is my wife found it since she was pissed off about where i had the other controller, lol.

Back