Rear window motor on my 1988 4 runner

Milk Man

I need to test the motor and see theres 2 wires on it. Is one a hot and other ground and do you switch the leads to make it go up and down. I am passed the point of pi$$d on trying to get it to work. I got it last month and the guy said it never worked when he had it. The switch is broke and I think the relay is bad. I was going to try to run a 3 way switch and straight wires back if it will work. Has anyone here had a problem with the rear window. Thanks

Make sure that the bolt that holds on the top near the rear wheel on the driver side is screwed in. There's a pin switch that kills the circut if it is loose on taken out. Does it work with the key on the back gate?

There is also a ground intrupt on the rear wiper. Check and see if the wiper is park or just rip the wire out. If your near Wakw Forest I can look at it with you this weekend. (I have a couple runners laying around)

The key does not work but the rear wiper does work. I'm thinking about run new wires and a 3 way switch since my switch is broke anyway. Thanks

console window lock switch

broken wires in harness where they go from body to tail gate

missing bolt for top drivers siderear leg of roll bar (pin switch under side panel)

bad window relay box (corroded, very common)

wiper park switch

I have had all of the above happen in my Runners, while it is possible for the motor to be bad, it's more likely to be one of the above

Most likely, broken wires in harness at tailgate

another thing I had happen on my '85, the pass side gate latch cable corroded, causing the latch to not lock, this is also switched to keep the window from operating, push on the gate and try to operate

Back