Rear Locker in 2WD Tow Rig

Granny

One day at a time...
I've got a '92 Dodge 2WD w/ Cummins. I really like the truck, and for highway towing I wouldn't change a thing about it. BUT, if it's parked on level grass, and someone Ps in front of one of the rear tires, I'm stuck. Exaggeration, but I think it makes the point. I am considering the idea of putting a Lock Right in the rear differential, and I am sure someone else has probably done the same at some point in time. QUESTION: how well does this work with a tow rig? I am familiar with the normal quirks of a locker so please skip that info. I just need to know if there are any major problems associated with a rear locker and pulling a trailer and weight.

THANX! :)

I had a locker put in my 99 F250. Had a chip and some extras done at the same time. No problems from the locker. My truck has never seen an easy day, and I am happy. It beats having a "one wheel wonder" anyday.

My truck spends most of its life hooked to some sort of gooseneck trailer (4 horse, car carrier, or 24' steel stock). a/t tires will help, but tire size is also a big factor. The bigger the tire the less chance you are going to spin it.

sounds like you are running street tires.if that's the case a set of at least a/t tires would make a big diffrence.

dunno about that...more than once I've spun the one rear wheel with ATs, had to use 4wd to go. If I gave it hell, 4x2 might have worked, but thats not always an option.

does the dodge not have ls now if it does just replace the clutches

No, it's an open diff. Last July I actually lost traction on wet (rain) blacktop pulling a trailer w/Jeep slowly up a steep hill. Had to back all the way down and find an alternate route. I do like the truck, but the traction issue is sometimes a definite shortcoming.

I hate my 2wd dodge.......I don't think a locker will help much. Without the front tires pulling.....you still going to get stuck. Get a winch, do a 4wd swap, and sell it and buy another truck.

Don,

I have had the same issue with my tow rig ie (Yager's old p/u)
Truck tow's great, good turning radius, etc but 2wd has it's drawbacks sometimes.
I found some M/T tires that may go on the back when it's time for skins...up in the barn for now...still contemplating that
Also have a L/S that came out of a 14 bolt for when I have some spare time to tear into.
Picking up a warn winch bumper this weekend for cheap to go on front...got a winch to go in that already...may look funny, but so does the black cab & white bed and i don't care...long as it works....:beer:

As a side note...I've been places and seen folks w/ 2wd & 4wd pullin' goosenecks & bp's with 2/3 rigs on them...slingin' mud on everything and makin' giant ruts everywhere for the next guy...but everyone else just watches the dilemma...even to the point of them having to unload & rig to unstuck themselves...Now the RANT...EVERYONE watching has some BAD ASS 4x4 parked there that they are sitting in watching...NO ONE has a Tow Strap??????????????
Come On people...I'm just Sayin'.....:shaking:

My 2wd DD has a locker in the rear and it makes it real fun in the rain. Also running BFG A/T's. One blip of the throttle while turning gets you all sorts of sideways.

I will never buy another 2wd tow rig.....

I've thought about doing a 4wd conversion on mine.........then I came to the realization that it still won't be an extended cab or 6 speed.....so screw it. Myabe when I finish school I can fine a nice blown 6.0 to put the cummins in.

Don,

My first Dodge had the factory LS rear and it worked well. If I were you, I would go that route or go with a selectable locker. I know how particular you are and this may be a dumb question, but are sure you have enough tongue weight?

Also, don't let the 2wd bashing bother you. I've had two 4wd tow trucks in the past and now have a 2wd tow truck and love it...even with all of the snow we have had. The truck actually surprised me a lot. The last round of 3-4 inches we had, I drove it and zero issues. I use ny truck as daily driver. In the last 6 years of owning 4wd's, I may have used 4wd 4 times. For my use, 2wd with less moving parts, better handling and slightly better mileage was the way to go.

I have to keep in mind that the posted the following: :)

I'm considering all your thoughts... anyone else?... please don't be bashful. :)

First of all, and again, I pretty much like my truck the way it is. It does fine for the most part, and I don't pay too much attention to the ravings of the "I gotta have 4WD on everything" group. Sorry guys. :)

To witchdoctor: I doubt any kind of tire would have made much difference on the wet paved hill. It just needed both wheels getting equal power.

Question for 63cj5universal: how long have you had the locker in your truck?

To paradisePWoffrd: I'm not sure OX makes a locker for a Dana 70, and the price tag is way up there for an ARB.

To BigJUGGY: Hey John, commenting on your side note: we've all seen some of that at one time or another. A good number of those driving those BAD ASS 4x4's probably don't own a tow strap to begin with, and would likely need some coaching as to how to use it properly if they did... at least that's been my observation.

To marvilusone: I would assume that if the locker was a terrible thing you would take it out. So-o-o... other than what you posted, how well does it work for you? I've got a street-Jeep CJ-5 that's locked in both ends. It's been that way for 15 years. I'm used to it, I like it, and it's darn handy if it's needed. Otherwise it drives just fine.

Finally to John B.: Hey Buddy, haven't heard from you in a while. We need to get together sometime. According to my sources, the ideal tongue weight is 10-15% of the combined weight of the trailer and its load. I'm running at about 15%. Now that you've made me think about it, that time on the wet blacktop was the only time I can remember having a problem while towing. The other times I've had a problem has been on damp/wet grass with no load at all on the truck. Someone else recently told me that if I shopped around I could probably pick up a limited slip for that diff at a fairly reasonable cost. My understanding is that they aren't as much in demand as the 60s. The more I think about it I may look more into that, but the ease of installing a Lock Right sure make it look attractive. Give us a buzz some time, like to see you again! :)

Damn... I wrote a letter! :huggy:

Well atleast we're on the same page.
Obviously everyone is, 30 something calls this month about my truck, everyone asks the same question.... is it 4wd?:rolleyes:

Anyway, as far as a tow rig goes, it has served it's purpose just fine. I have only been stuck once, and that was with some bald street tires on a muddy logging road hauling a tractor back from our pasture, other than that the G80 "Gov Bomb" locker has served me just fine. It has been out every day in these snows we have gotten lately with no problems. I know it's limitations and I keep that in mind, so I don't get into a situation that "needs" 4wd.

The locker does make a HUGE difference in a 2wd tow rig. Compared to my 78 K30 Dually with an open rear end that gets stuck, as you say if someone "pees in front of one of the rear tires on grass" requiring me to get out and lock the hubs in situations where my "locked" 2wd would cruise right along.

Now then I wouldn't want a full on locker in a tow rig, as the open differential is much better suited to turning on road when loaded down, but the Eaton/GM G80 "Gov Bomb" works as a regular open differential until there is enough wheel speed difference that the centrifugal force of the carrier throws a pendulum out that causes it to "lock" the two sides together. I wouldn't throw a full on locker in your truck, but a limited slip should be just fine, and help out a ton.

Alright! This is the kind of feedback, and advice, I am looking for! THANX! :)
Assuming that's sarcasm, so I guess you didn't read the rest of my post, so YOUR WELCOME! :flipoff2: I added more after I edited my post.

Don, I have a '93 D350 DRW D70 3.54 w/ factory LS...

It's night & day better than the SRW (also factory LS) 4WD Ford it replaced when running 2WD in *slightly damp* grass! The F250 would get stuck on a long 6" rise going into my back yard (my DD Camry never had that problem!) and required locking the hubs & 4WD...

The CTD does much better... Maybe due to more tire contact (duals over SRW)? Maybe due to the LS actually working? Hard to tell.

Before I looked at filling the D70 with LS or lunchbox locker, I'd look for a later model D80 (dang near bolt-in)... more strength, likely the same 3.54 ratio, factory LS standard, & later models equipped with rear discs. Likely can be found cheaper (think "cash for clunkers" yards) for less than a used (likely needing a rebuild for peace-of-mind, if for no other reason) or new LS...

:beer:

Assuming that's sarcasm, so I guess you didn't read the rest of my post, so YOUR WELCOME! :flipoff2: I added more after I edited my post.

It wasn't sarcasm... it was a damned compliment! I read your whole post, and I appreciate your input and advice. Again... THANX! :shaking:

Back