Re-doing my Bed Camper and making a toyhauler

Well no pics but I took truck, trailer and jeep to parking lot and got some numbers..

I used a buddies tongue scale
awww.sherline.com_images_LM2000pic.jpg

found out that with trailer empty I had 1600lbs tongue weight
with jeep on trailer all the way forward I had 1350lbs and with jeep all the way back I had 1200lbs.

I will admit I thought it would have had less tongue weight but I am very glad I know the true numbers now.

Hmm.... maybe pull the front axle off the trailer?

How does it ride like that?

all 3 axles will stay just for safety of not over loading tires or axles..

as for ride quality it rides great, nice and smooth

No wagging the dog? Just for fun... try a loaded, downhill decel, off the gas, no brakes... maybe getting off at a ramp, and get a truck to blow by at 70...?

You're a long way from overloading the trailer by the sound of things... unless you start hauling equipment with it. I'd try to get the pin weight up by 500-1k, but if you're happy with it as-is... <shrug>

What's the weight on the trailer tires? I'm figuring the trailer at 10-12k... but maybe it's a lot lighter?

No wagging the dog? Just for fun... try a loaded, downhill decel, off the gas, no brakes... maybe getting off at a ramp, and get a truck to blow by at 70...?

You're a long way from overloading the trailer by the sound of things... unless you start hauling equipment with it. I'd try to get the pin weight up by 500-1k, but if you're happy with it as-is... <shrug>

What's the weight on the trailer tires? I'm figuring the trailer at 10-12k... but maybe it's a lot lighter?

on way home from the flats I was running about 65 when a 18 wheeler went by and nothing moved at all. very stable.

as for weight I just want to be sure I am not overloading the truck axle, truck tires, etc..

as for pin weight you think it should be 1700 to 2200lbs?
trailer tires are Maxxis M8008 load rating 2830lb each (16980lbs total)
weight of trailer I do not know yet.. I am trying to find a scale that I can unhook trailer from truck and get a weight local, but not much luck..

You don't need to unhook the trailer, you already know the pin weight.

I'm just going back-of-napkin... figuring 5k jeep, 4000# trailer, 1k camper... yeah, I'd want 2k in the bed, if not more. But yeah, 5k trailer axles, you're on the cusp for wanting all three of them. Maybe keep an eye out for a sturdier pair?

I was thinking worst-case... why I said down-hill, decelerating, moving 15-20mph slower than passing traffic.

is it too long to fit on the scrap scales? weigh truck+trailer, then just truck, and subtract.. made a dakota trailer and it weighed in at 1000#

if you'd like a weight on your stuff and were willing to drive so far as the east side of clayton i can hook you up. we've got a full set of scales ill let you weigh on for free-99.

Steer weight plus drive weight minus pin weight equals truck weight.

Trailer weight plus pin weight equals trailer weight.

Or just assume the truck weighs 7400# and be mostly correct.

if you'd like a weight on your stuff and were willing to drive so far as the east side of clayton i can hook you up. we've got a full set of scales ill let you weigh on for free-99.

If the offers open to anybody, Ill take it.

Duane

You prob done heard it all be fore but nice build!! I hope you dont mind if I steal a few ideas from you....

nutt'n get by you dude !!! :flipoff2:

Hell I thought it was some super cool secret, not the mill. We take the fire trucks there to get weighed. Now Im all sad and dissapointed and stuff :(

Duane

well found a place online that makes reproduction rims for my trailer

so I got 2 of them so I can have spares for next season

trailerrims.jpg

anything new with this trailer set-up?...paint the camper?...willing to sell?! lol....love the build man, need to do something similar myself :popcorn:

anything new with this trailer set-up?...paint the camper?...willing to sell?! lol....love the build man, need to do something similar myself :popcorn:

just used it again this past weekend at the ECORS race and trailer worked great.

I am going to pick up some storage boxes this weekend to go on the sides of camper, and then I have a new idea for slide out portion of camper ( you have to wait and see )

but it is funny you brought this back up because I plan to start work on camper within a week or two :)

as for sale.. everything is always for sale.. if you are serious PM me a price you had in mind and we can discuss

Ken - I passed you Sunday on Rt 40 just east of Burlington and that is one sweet trailer. It was the first time I saw it in person and it is just awesome! I had the wife with me in the truck and she thought it was fantastic how you were able to camp and tow with the same trailer. She didn't believe me when I told her you built the whole thing and I had to show her this thread when we got home. Great job!

Ken - I passed you Sunday on Rt 40 just east of Burlington and that is one sweet trailer. It was the first time I saw it in person and it is just awesome! I had the wife with me in the truck and she thought it was fantastic how you were able to camp and tow with the same trailer. She didn't believe me when I told her you built the whole thing and I had to show her this thread when we got home. Great job!

thanks man..

well it is time to modify again :)

lots of ideas in my head to make this even better..

to start I moved the camper back about 10 feet on trailer deck for tomorrows delivery

100_8438.jpg

100_8439.jpg

100_8440.jpg

Back