Ratchet Tie-downs

wbcarver

Not sure if this has been covered recently or not.

What do you all use for ratchet tie-downs.
And where is the best place to get them.

I toasted another strap this morning and have to buy a couple, so I thought I would ask for suggestions.

I have seen some slick tie-downs that go around the tires, etc and I might get some of them too, but for now I am looking for decent quality general purpose straps kinda like this >>

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• ratchet_tiedown.jpg
    ratchet_tiedown.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 377
wbcarver said:
Not sure if this has been covered recently or not.
What do you all use for ratchet tie-downs.
And where is the best place to get them.
I toasted another strap this morning and have to buy a couple, so I thought I would ask for suggestions.
I have seen some slick tie-downs that go around the tires, etc and I might get some of them too, but for now I am looking for decent quality general purpose straps kinda like this >>
Thanks for any info.

I like the hooks that snap if the load or truck moves it can be a little lose and not fall off.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...ell=true&storeId=6970&productId=23060&R=23060

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...ell=true&storeId=6970&productId=21925&R=21925

I use the one you are talking about or close to it only for hard stuff that will not flex because if it flexs it will come off.
I like this one better because it will fit the D rings to.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?xsell=true&storeId=6970&langId=-1&rfno=12101

Jon

GSW said:
The Mac's Ultra Pack that Trailer Guy on Pirate sells is a really nice kit. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411098 And the guy is a top notch vendor too.
So whats the deal with this. Why will he not post a price. Sounds like he has something to hide.
Maybe we need to let everyone know they can go to Northern and get a deal for the same stuff or summit racing I think may be a little cheeper.

So what they run for a price ???
Looks the same as northern and they sell them for 135$.
I like the bag deal but would never use it I just put mine in the tool box.
J

Mine are Allied brand, I got from Sam's. Rated at 10,000 each. and I use four of them. Never a problem with them. I paid $12 each 5 years ago, but see them usually around 16 to 22 each. Buy the USA made ones with the thicker strap!

many vendors can't post prices if they are below the mfgs. sugested price.

I use regular open hook 2" wide straps from northern. If your straps are loose you need to tighten them.

GSW said:
The Mac's Ultra Pack that Trailer Guy on Pirate sells is a really nice kit. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411098 And the guy is a top notch vendor too.

Great timing with this thread. I am hunting straps right now. I stopped by Northern the other night, but they were sold out of quite a few straps and I did not see what I wanted. I think I am going to ask for a price from this guy on pirate.

DK

straps

I just bough (4) 10,000 lb straps and (4) axle straps from Northern last week. Came to like $145 for everything. Have not used them yet though. I went with those cause they are the same ones that Sheldon uses for their two jeeps.

Fred

tjfreddy said:
I just bough (4) 10,000 lb straps and (4) axle straps from Northern last week. Came to like $145 for everything. Have not used them yet though. I went with those cause they are the same ones that Sheldon uses for their two jeeps.
Fred

Do yours have the 27ft long strap? I saw those, but didn't want to go that route.

You still need a place to store your trailer? I remember you posting about it a while back. You could store at my place for a little while if you need to.

DK

The Strap Man, i dont think hes got a website but hes always at Fall Charlotte Auto Fair. We get all of our stuff from him, and he'll custom make your straps as well while you wait. We usually cycle through two-three sets per year with all of the cars we haul, and his stuff is grade A. -Steve

ai23.ebayimg.com_02_i_07_73_bf_60_2.JPG

EBAY---------> justharris is the seller, 3009 sales 99.9% rating..

59.00 for all four w/ built in axle strap..........2" x 8' Nice set-up though. Webbing rated at 12,000, ratchet at 11,000, snap hooks at 10,000 (breaking strength)

I've run chains w/binders, flat hooks, and J hooks ('ve got more $$ in tie downs then in the XJ). Now I'm running the snap hooks with axle straps. I bought them at Northern - and I know I got taken - but it was an impulse buy. So far, I'm loving this setup the most.

For some reason, I lost an axle wrap recently, so I went to Northern in Cary, they had what I need.

I, too, insist on something that has a catch as not to come completely off..

I use chains attached to axle straps on the rear, straps on the front..

My load procedure goes like this... put it in gear, let it take the slack out of the chains.. blip the throttle to spin the tires and center the rig. leave it in gear and attach the front straps... put the tranny in neutral, then park, and shut down.

I strapped the chassis down a little this past trip and it makes the whole load more secure, but I might go a step further and strap the chassis down to a 4x4 piece of wood or 2 to rigidly secure the chassis to the trailer so it doesn't flop around like a drunk fat chick.

Preacher said:

59.00 for all four w/ built in axle strap..........2" x 8' Nice set-up though. Webbing rated at 12,000, ratchet at 11,000, snap hooks at 10,000 (breaking strength)
x2
I got some from him. Great straps.
ai39.photobucket.com_albums_e177_scorpion2076_fab_strap4.jpg

Preacher said:

i have these, while not from Ebay, i like 'em.

wbcarver said:

Did it get frayed from rubbing on the axle or trailer? I've seen people take old fire hose and use a short section over the strap to prevent it from fraying.

drkelly said:
Do yours have the 27ft long strap? I saw those, but didn't want to go that route.
You still need a place to store your trailer? I remember you posting about it a while back. You could store at my place for a little while if you need to.
DK

No they are much shorter than the 27' straps, 10' maybe. The ones I purchased were kinda hidden on the top shelf. The straps have the spring loaded closure so that they do not come off.

Man, that would be awesome if I could drop my trailer there til I could find a permenant place. right now it is @ goferit and it is kinda in the way.

Thanks,

Fred

I use the $13 Allied straps from Sams also... while the open hook has done fine, I would feel MUCH better with the closed hook design...

Also, another bud of Bill's & I uses *tire* straps... basically a loop that cinches just above horz. centerline and is tensioned via ratchet strap... pretty cool setup since there's no need to crawl under the rig and it can all be accessed standing on the ground or trailer...

No fries said:
Did it get frayed from rubbing on the axle or trailer? I've seen people take old fire hose and use a short section over the strap to prevent it from fraying.

Nothing like that.
I mean I really toasted it.
Stupid move on my part.
Was too close to the exhuast on my Miller Bobcat welder on the flat bed.
:rolleyes:

Customer came over and said "Hey your welder is really smokin' bad!"

Looked over and the strap was nearly on fire.
DOH !!!
Forgot to take the strap off when I got to the job site.

:Smack Forehead:

Which leads me to why I am looking more at the universal straps than the dedicated vehicle tie-downs.

I haul everything but vehicles more often than I haul vehicles.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.
I do like the idea of axle tie straps, in conjunction with the universal straps.

I bought the ratchet straps from northern. 2in. x 25ft. polyester strap has quick-lock ratchet to hold load in place. 10,000-lb. breaking strength. 3300-lb. working load. They work good for me. 20bucks each....

awww.northerntool.com_images_product_images_1936_lg.gif

spraypaintman said:
I got bought the ratchet straps from northern. 2in. x 25ft. polyester strap has quick-lock ratchet to hold load in place. 10,000-lb. breaking strength. 3300-lb. working load. They work good for me. 20bucks each....
awww.northerntool.com_images_product_images_1936_lg.gif

I have 4 of those in the 27' variety. Got them at an ASC / TSC. I paid a good bit for them. I want to say around $20 each also, but I doubt I'll ever haul anything that needs more than that. I bought 4 to tow one vehicle, but I've found that 2 (1 on each axle) seems to be plenty.

JeepinHank said:
I have 4 of those in the 27' variety. Got them at an ASC / TSC. I paid a good bit for them. I want to say around $20 each also, but I doubt I'll ever haul anything that needs more than that. I bought 4 to tow one vehicle, but I've found that 2 (1 on each axle) seems to be plenty.

When straping down a car truck or what ever......There's no success, like excess.

I use 4, one at each corner.

Ditto.. 4 straps.

tjfreddy said:
No they are much shorter than the 27' straps, 10' maybe. The ones I purchased were kinda hidden on the top shelf. The straps have the spring loaded closure so that they do not come off.
Man, that would be awesome if I could drop my trailer there til I could find a permenant place. right now it is @ goferit and it is kinda in the way.
Thanks,
Fred

pm sent

Danny

Back