Random pic thread.

Had an interesting talk last night with the former owner of the land next door. The guy that put his well in back in the late 80's was big into the local history around here. (Worth Pickard -- he build the replica of the old gilliam mill thats right beside NC42 west of Sanford.) A hundred feet behind my house site is the remains of a sunken road bed. It runs about parallel to the logging haul road, so I figured that it was just where they had shifted the road a time or two due to rutting, wet, or whatever. But...the history guy said that was one of the main link roads between Sanford and the old Plank road farther out of town. There are just a few places along it's route that the old road bed is still visible. At the location it crossed pocket creek, about 1800' from my house, there is supposedly the remains of a rock and rubble bridge footing. I'll wait until winter comes back around to look for it.

The old mill that is on 42 now is a replica of one built just downstream from there (North of 42) in 1850, and was washed out in 1929. There was an earlier, older mill just upstream that was probably from the 1820's or so.

One oddity that is nearby, and another thing I need to hunt for when winter comes, is at an old home site just off my back corner. House was torn down about 1972, but shows on the earliest aerial photos. Near that homesite is an 18"x18" square hole cut in a brownstone rock. It's in a depression, and the best guess is that it was a spring box, with spring house probably built over it.

First pic is looking down the sunken roadbed. Center is just to left of the center of the pic. Shows much better in person. Thats the old haul road, now the road to my shop, in the background.
88f40a14019697c422ea7eb205791d2d.jpg

Side view from my shop road. The two bigger trees on either side of the frame are on top of the high ground. The green ground cover is on top of the other high side.

ea67a83304535fe93c95675fd92589ab.jpg

I was reading the Closed, under the Store sign. Probably couldn't see the "take out only" part.
A Lot of places have Meat, yet some stores are having shortages, & Wendy's claims to be out!
I saw on the facebooks last week that a hog farm in OH was gonna sell their mature hogs for .50/pound on the hoof.The sale was last sat and they posted they sold 1500 hogs that day.The local amish place has been selling #10 boxes of bacon for $3.50/pound on Tuesdays and I imagine somewhere like that is where they're getting it.We're debating on buying a cow off one of our friends and having it slaughtered.Havent really had time to sit down and do the math on it but even then who knows how high the prices are gonna go.

I saw on the facebooks last week that a hog farm in OH was gonna sell their mature hogs for .50/pound on the hoof.The sale was last sat and they posted they sold 1500 hogs that day.The local amish place has been selling #10 boxes of bacon for $3.50/pound on Tuesdays and I imagine somewhere like that is where they're getting it.We're debating on buying a cow off one of our friends and having it slaughtered.Havent really had time to sit down and do the math on it but even then who knows how high the prices are gonna go.

Better call the local slaughter house. The two that are within 2 hrs from Asheville area. Are backed up at least 4 weeks now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better call the local slaughter house. The two that are within 2 hrs from Asheville area. Are backed up at least 4 weeks now

My local guy is well within 2 hours of Asheville..and he processed a cow in 4 days last week. Of course depends on how long you want it to hang

Apparently it's the kind of day to re-invent the wheel for sandwich stackup. Bread, bread, meat..... :D
I was thinking an out of lettuce or cheese or bacon, kinda day

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Read in a local paper today, about a farm in Stanley, that does 2 types of meat, plus has Honey. He's getting More customers now, but he sends his meat to another Town, for processing & packaging. That place is running near 2 months behind! As he says, the US has plenty of meat, it the shutdown at processing plants, that's the problem.

My local guy is well within 2 hours of Asheville..and he processed a cow in 4 days last week. Of course depends on how long you want it to hang

No shit. I’ve called two places in Nc and one in Tennessee and they are all backed up pretty far. We ended up having a friend come help with it.

Did step 1 of some woods reclamation at the house today.
IMG_20200516_160705.jpg
IMG_20200516_180300.jpg
IMG_20200516_160707.jpg
IMG_20200516_180328.jpg
IMG_20200516_160737.jpg
IMG_20200516_181012.jpg

IMG_20200516_160754.jpg

IMG_20200516_181228.jpg

Last edited:
Went to Hartsville to fix my Jeep today. Went by the house to see one of my boys and found this death trap. Immediately thought of @JSJJ388 I was entertained of a story of his friend getting this all together and running. Took it out on the street to test it and and proceeded to dump it and get some nice road rash...

AA202113-E7EF-45CB-BFD0-FD1637EF00CE.jpeg
8AAEB7F3-BE3D-4577-ACE6-7157EA09FD4B.jpeg

46E94FA7-ED0F-4FB6-AE9F-79B00D9CBF3F.jpeg

That is generator motor from what I was told on an old 3 wheeler frame. They were all supposed to go wheel Broken Nut today. Needless to say they were one short. Poor kid... Of course these "kids" are 21 but still.....

Last edited:
Went to Hartsville to fix my Jeep today. Went by the house to see one of my boys and found this death trap. Immediately thought of @JSJJ388 I was entertained of a story of his friend getting this all together and running. Took it out on the street to test it and and proceeded to dump it and get some nice road rash...

View attachment 317986 View attachment 317987

View attachment 317988

That is generator motor from what I was told on an old 3 wheeler frame. They were all supposed to go wheel Broken Nut today. Needless to say they were one short. Poor kid... Of course these "kids" are 21 but still.....

Shew. 18HP on that tiny frame looks like a good time. Massive overkill, complete disregard for safety, and redneck engineering. Good "kids".

Back