Raleigh Water Falls Lake - What's Plan B ???

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
I also drive by falls lake daily... I've watched the water slowly drain from areas on the north side of the road, then turn into grassy fields. Just this past week the south side of the road has started to look particularly bad...

All this crap aside... I'd like to know what our (Raleigh) plan B is.. We sure as hell dragged our feet on enacting any sort of restrictions..

Just wondering if I need to start digging in the back yard.

edit- I split this off as this will definitely lead to more/further discussion...

All this is for years down the road and not immediate but...
Raleigh bought up all the land in the Little River tributary and Lizard Lick will be lake front within a couple of years. Then there's the idea of the Corps letting water out of Lake Benson to feed downstream while taking advantage of all of Falls Lake since Benson is close to maximum capacity. They just started construction on the Lake Wheeler Water Treatment Plant this Summer. And I'm pretty sure Raleigh has been completely turned down from using Cape Fear now.
Raleigh used to get water from Lake Johnson and Yates Mill in the beginning but the piping and infastructure of the treatment facilities would need total upgrades. Just guessing but that must have been like 100 years or more ago.
There's an aquaduct (or something like that word?) down East that pumps so many millions of gallons of clean water into the ocean every day that some company wants to sell it to Raleigh instead. But that would cost 250+ miles of pipe and pump stations.
There's also plans in the making for a tributary in Southeastern corner of Wake Co. along some creek along Hwy 42 to serve Eastern Wake?
Raleigh has considered raising the cost of water for higher usage to try to slow the pace down.
That's all I can think of right now...

Living in Charlotte..... I was amazed at how the triad had very little water restrictions while we were not even allowed to water bushes... The fines started at $250.00 and doubled for each offense... Now no lawn watering, car washing, usage restrictions, etc....

All I can say is if we don't get a lot of precip. this winter it's not going to be a good spring for a lot of people in the SE....

West NC, Upper Georgia and East Tennessee is almost twice the deficit as Raleigh. We got it bad over here in Raleigh so I REALLY hate it for you guys...

We can build all the roads in the world, bring in more and more folks, maybe with this, people will finally see the light and understand that we are outpacing our resources. I doubt it.

They were saying on the news the other day that the next step (and I think we should have already be there) is to force paper/plastic in the restaurants and they said a voluntary limit on flushing at home to once or twice a day (can you say air-freshener?). I think the restrictions all along have been to little, too late.

OK yes we got it bad but how bad? What we are seeing are the old farm fields that are only covered in a few feet of water at full pool. I fish and have spent a lot of time in the lakes around here. There are a lot of deep pools in them and what they are talking about is the water pickup that is close to the dam and the level of it as to the number of days tell it gets close. It is set so that it has a cover depth of water over it and not pumping water from the top and not taking mud from the bottom. The level was based on a average depth of the water over a say 50 year time and it just so happens that we are hitting a low. If they lower the intake it will add x number of days to the drinking water. If I remember the water around the intake was in 70' being down around 12' to 15' gives 50' to 55' or so round the dam or so. There is also other very large deep pools that are at the same depth and level as the dam that will fill in and not pond, feeding the water intake.
Think of it this way also, I work for the State, still don't trust them in some ways but don't you think that something would be being built or done if the real fact was on X date like 90 days we will be out of water? think of what would happen, what people would do, in the old days that is what killed off thousands of people because of no clean water and no way to wash up. There would be a lot of big plants now that would be getting storage tanks and people would be geting storage tanks to store there water, the price of water would go up like gas, and would not be on the shelf at the store.
To me Yes it is bad, Yes it will self correct and the new lake and dam will help with all the new building, but I call bull on all the news groups that want to feed us all the crap every day because they don't have anything better to do.

i'm not aware of any water restriction in Forsyth county. we have the yadkin river feeding us.

we have a burn ban that sucks....but no concern of water supply on the local news.

i think we have been selling water to guilford county and a few other surrounding municipalities. Maybe raleigh should give us a shout.

I read a sign at a local store that said there's a burn ban in affect state wide... Has been posted up all Summer. But I still see people burning.
On the other hand though, I had a buddy tell me the fire department came and put his out one night.

There is a statewide burn ban. You can even get a burn permit for ANYTHING. Ive been trying to clear off about 2 wooded acres on my land and it is really slow because everything piles up so quick.

Back