Raleigh press/machine shop

TeamSpatula

Howdy. I'm looking to have 4 hinge pins pressed out (or drilled out) of door hinges for my Commando, holes reamed, and stainless steel removable pins put in. Anybody know of a good (preferably cheap) shop around Raleigh that can do that? I don't have access to a drill press, and already started buggering one trying to hold it in a vice and drill it.

Thanks,

Not 100% sure of what you're talking about but it sounds like something a hammer, wd-40 and a long nailset/punch might take care of.

I have a drill press if you feel like waiting a week or 3 till you move.

Not realy something I could see a shop doing. Sounds kinda simple other than getting the pins. Think Delta benchtop drill press at lowes is only $69 right now. Might have been last week price not sure.

rbo1577186 said:
Not 100% sure of what you're talking about but it sounds like something a hammer, wd-40 and a long nailset/punch might take care of.
If only it were that easy. There's a guy in Ca on the Jeepster bbs who is doing them, he has a 20 ton (or so) press to press the pins out, as they're pressed in at the factory. They are designed not to come out, so it's pretty tough to get them out...
and they're hardened steel, so drilling is not easy.
Just thought I'd see if anyone knew of anything local - the 4 together are about 4 lbs - hate to pay shipping to Ca and back on that, plus his cost for the press, reaming, and pins...

Just about every auto shop in raleigh has a press. Just stop by your favorite one and ask.

When i had my CJ-5 I did the same with the hinges on my hard top. If your hinges are constructed the same way here is what I did.
I drill out the booger weld at the top of the hinge and then just pushen out the pins w/ a BFH and a narrow punch.
Then all you have to do is press in the new pieces.
Hope that helps a little.

There is no weld, just the hardest pins known to man held in with 30+ years of weather exposure.

If you were close by, I'd take them to work and drill them out for you... Somebody near you has to have a freakin drill press.... but...

Is it possible to use a cut off wheel, then use cutting fluid and a good hss or cobalt bit (drill slow) to at least drill out the center with a hand drill. This should weaken it enough to knock it out with a hammer/punch.

hamiltons off tryon.

or a DIY method, cut a vertical slit in the pin sleeve and pound the pin out, then weld the cut back up and grind it down smooth.

As UJO says, they are both hard AND pressed into the tub half of the hinge (both barrels)...

Some folks have success by having them pressed out, but it requires more tonage than the average shop press (15-30 ain't gonna touch it)...

Others simply pony up to have them *milled* out... basically chucking them in a fixture and plunging an endmill the length... The guy TS refered to in CA had a jig made that holds the halves plumb for this. They are then punched to 3/8" for a larger pin...

Luckily, mine were done by a PO... unfortunately, they were horribly scarred from the jaws of the vice, repeated BFH blows, and bluetip wrench use... :shaking:

Back